Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Lee classic cast removing the nut bushing

Boolit Buddy

Lee classic cast removing the nut bushing

I cant remove the black nut ontop of my press, dont have an adequate wrench, nor big enough sockets, is there any other way to get the nut bushing or whatever it is out of there?, any help is appreciated

I don't have a Classic Cast, and maybe a photo could help...
    but I would try screwing in a die from the inside of the press, upside down, if the black nut allow that,
    and working with some wrench on the die..._
    I would heat the nut bushing in some way. this keeping at hand some rags and a nutcracker, if you find one big enough in the kitchen..._
    (very interested to know other answers)
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    Found this photo in the internet, do not have such big tools ant the nut is really thin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails classical cast.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Call Lee and ask them how to do it. They sell a breech lock conversion kit for that press that requires removal of that biushing...

not even the metal handles of some plier with which to hold/unscrew the hexagon after heating it?
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master

with out the wrenches to work with it going to be tricky.

A makeshift wrench could be made from an old discarded die and a 7/8 14 nut. Drill a 1/4" - 3/8" hole thru the top of the die side to side. thread into bushing and use the 7/8 nut to lock the 2 together. the a rod 6-8" long thru the hole and turn.

If you have a soft brass punch you might remove it by getting on a corner and tapping at an angle close to what it rotates. light blows. give yourself a mark at ine of the corners so you can tel if its moving. This way may damage the bushing also.

You can make a wrench from a steel bar 1/2" thick x 1/12" wide and 10-12" long. lay out the end with two flats the same width apart as the nut. roucgh cut these in with a saw and then file in to size.

Why do you want to remove it? PM me depending on where your located I can make you a wrench fairly easily. will need a piece of 1/4" X 1 1/2" steel 12" long. If your with in driving distance Ill do it while you wait

Boolit Master
    Get a large adjustable wrench. Not that expensive and easy to fine Home Depot Lowe’s Harbor freight any of those will have one trying to take that nut out without the proper tools it’s just got a booger it up and you’ll never get it out
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Take it off the bench and clamp the nut flats in your vise.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kimoleto View Post
    Found this photo in the internet, do not have such big tools ant the nut is really thin
    that's exactly how I got mine out. Mine weren't really that tight

check pawn shops--they can have tools that will do the job at a reasonable cost

any friends at work/school that might lend you a wrench?

or take to high school and see if the auto shop can do it for you.

You might visit local ranges and see if any shooters there could help

also auto repair places may do it for free--doesn't take but seconds to get it loose

good luck
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    I´m amazed with the help, Thanks for all the advice guys, since I´m in Mexico I cant accept your great offer country gent, it would be great to meet you in person. An auto repair shop is my best option, and yes im trying to update it to the breech lock system

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    I don't have a Classic Cast, and maybe a photo could help...
    but I would try screwing in a die from the inside of the press, upside down, if the black nut allow that,
    and working with some wrench on the die..._
    I would heat the nut bushing in some way. this keeping at hand some rags and a nutcracker, if you find one big enough in the kitchen..._
    (very interested to know other answers)
    If I didn't have the correct wrench, this is how I'd do it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Do the local auto parts stores rent tools? Here in the states, most auto part stores that cater to do-it youself repair guys will rent tools.

If so, carry your press in and see if they have a socket that will fit.

Good luck, and around here we call guys who take a pliers to a nut "Primitive Petes".

And hold off on the heat until you have tried the correct tool. Don't need to screw up the paint unless you have to.

Boolit Master
    Put Kroil or some other penetrating oil on it for a day or so. Then use a big wrench. It took two applications of the oil for me to get the bushing in mine out.

The original bushing in mine was to adapt the 1 - 1/4 thread down to 7/8. I also wanted to be able to use the breech lock that I have on some of my dies. I ordered the 1 - 1/4 to breech lock bushing and was surprised to find that it was a plastic bushing. Time will tell how it works.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Grand Master

Take it to the shop where you buy your tires or have your car serviced. They will probably do it for free or very cheap.

Boolit Grand Master

It's just a hex nut. If you don't have the proper tools, go to your local hardware store, auto parts store or Amazon and buy a decent "Crescent Wrench". You can always use a good "adjustable spanner" wrench (an old term for an adjustable open end wrench https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_spanner ). And one hanging on the wall above your bench will look cool.

Without proper tools you run the risk of ruining the bushing nut and be stuck with a crappy press or unable to use the bushing dies...
    My Anchor is holding fast!