MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: RWS / Diana model 36

RWS / Diana model 36

There have been some notable firearms for sale at the club of late, but this rifle caught my eye. I've a couple of Gamos that are similar in appearance, but this one felt heavier and a bit more solid. Got it home and, by golly, it is a superior gun to the Gamos! Seems to have considerably more power / velocity. My first German made springer, but first impressions are very favorable, came with 5000 pellets.... I know what I'll be doing this afternoon!

As an edit, adjustable trigger~ he had it set surprisingly light and the feel is very crisp.

As another edit, may have to get a springer rated scope- apparently the Germans make really fuzzy sights.
    Last edited by beezapilot; 04-27-2022 at 04:30 PM.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

Those RWS rifles are superior to ANY Gamo product, hands down! IMO, the German rifles as a whole are a breed unto themselves. Weirauch, RWS, Feinwerkbau and others are topnotch rifles, and I admit, I prefer them to any of the others. High quality rifles that your great-grandchildren will be shooting long after you're gone!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    I had an RWS model 34 IIRC. Nice gun but I did not enjoy cocking it. Sold it last year to a buddy and he loves it.

They are a fine gun and you will enjoy it. One warning....never shoot a PCP. It is easy to get spoiled.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I have not joined the dark side yet, but when I do, I will just be going straight to PCP. I just can't see myself cocking one after each shot. Plus, I have dive shops all over the place to get tanks filled if I don't want to buy a compressor.

If you really want to scope it, I've been very pleased with the Hawke Airmax on my springer. There are some pricier ones
    but I got one for around $220. Don't go cheap on a springer.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I had an RWS model 34 IIRC. Nice gun but I did not enjoy cocking it. Sold it last year to a buddy and he loves it.

They are a fine gun and you will enjoy it. One warning....never shoot a PCP. It is easy to get spoiled.

I "had to" reply with Don's quote. YES -- it is nice to just pull the trigger and propel pellets using a PCP arm -- I have four or five of these. HOWEVER, it is also just as nice (imho) to break the barrel or overlever a springer pistol (Beeman and Weihraucher are the ones I have) and/or a long-barreled springer. I find an arm hard to beat over the top Diana models! The "scariest part" to me contemplating the potential accuracy of these is printed in the instructions, where they advise ~500 shots need be fired before ultimate accuracy is achieved. I have -- with my own beady eyes -- seen fellows -- using Diana's -- put 10 shots at 10 meters making a hole easily covered with a U S dime or (the smaller) U K 5 Pence piece!
    Congrats on your Diana -- ENJOY IT!!!
    As a note, comparing pumping a hand pump (many strokes) or the one spring-work for the Diana.... I'd "go" for the latter !
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

I've been shooting air rifles since I was 5 years old. Currently I have 4 springers and love 'em. Yes, I have shot a few scuba guns and they are nice and fun. However, my springers are always there and all I have to do is cock, load and shoot. I don't have to do any prep such as fill the tank, pump it up, buy a compressor or find a shop to fill the tank. The springers are always there, ready for instant shooting pleasure.

Not knocking pump up guns or scuba guns at all, enjoy them if you will. For me the springer is all I need or want in an air rifle.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've been shooting air rifles since I was 5 years old. Currently I have 4 springers and love 'em. Yes, I have shot a few scuba guns and they are nice and fun. However, my springers are always there and all I have to do is cock, load and shoot. I don't have to do any prep such as fill the tank, pump it up, buy a compressor or find a shop to fill the tank. The springers are always there, ready for instant shooting pleasure.

Not knocking pump up guns or scuba guns at all, enjoy them if you will. For me the springer is all I need or want in an air rifle.
    And that is why I prefer springers.......
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    If you really want to scope it, I've been very pleased with the Hawke Airmax on my springer. There are some pricier ones
    but I got one for around $220. Don't go cheap on a springer.
    I have been very happy with Hawke optics. I use the Vantage models with the etched glass reticles and illuminated crosshairs. See the link:

https://www.airgundepot.com/vault/ar...he-rws-34-177/

unknown

I like springers too, like I prefer bolt .22's to autoloaders. This is a hoot to shoot!
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

Until you cannot cock a springer.

I have to go through pain and such now to cock my RWS Diana. [Had my right shoulder rotor cuff done, do not want to do my left] It is a great rifle got rid of my Benjiman Blue streak after I got it. Wish I had the blue streak now.

Getting a PCP when I decide what to sell to afford one. Until then 22lr and outback can works.

I have a Diana 350 magnum in 177 cal. Put a Hammers 4x12 scope on and it’s fun to shoot. It is a hard cocking springer though and heavy also.

I have 2 RWS springers I've very happy with.

Boolit Buddy
    If your Springer is too hard to cock, put in a less powerful spring. My go-to spring for UK power levels is a titan no 10, which is designed for a TX209 MK3. It makes a HW80 or Diana 52 lovely to shoot.

Boolit Master
    My most accurate springer is a Beeman imported Webley Omega .177 I bought about 37yrs ago. I have a couple Diana's & a new Crosman Shockwave Nitro in .22 cal I tossed the scope it came with & installed a Hawke on. I just can't seem to get any good accuracy with it. I'd like to rebuild the Webley as it's never been but I'd bet it's had well over 100,000 pellets through it. As of now it still working and as accurate. I've been trying to source the parts make sure I can get another 35 years from it.

Boolit Master
    I have a few springers and a PCP with a hand pump. My most fun springer is an RWS 24, because it is easy to cock so long shooting sessions are pleasant. I have an RWS 48 side lever, nice but much harder to cock. For fun long shooting sessions, easy to pump makes a difference. I have a Hatsan 95 in .25, it is OK for hunting but firing more than 25 shots at an outing gets tiresome. I had a multi-pump Sheridan .20, but after 30+ years the barrel separated from the base. Cocking effort can be an issue for long strings of pleasurable shooting, the RWS rifles are remarkably accurate. Velocity sells, but also makes the cocking much harder, unless actually hunting the speed is of little benefit. I suppose rate of fire does make a difference, firing 20 -30 shots over an hour is quite different than 20 shot in 5-10 minutes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Until you cannot cock a springer.

I have to go through pain and such now to cock my RWS Diana. [Had my right shoulder rotor cuff done, do not want to do my left] It is a great rifle got rid of my Benjiman Blue streak after I got it. Wish I had the blue streak now.

Getting a PCP when I decide what to sell to afford one. Until then 22lr and outback can works.
    I got the RWS 48 with side lever cocking. The leverage is much better, much easier than a break barrel.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    FWB 300 has a 9 pound cocking effort, was patented in the day.