WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: how come Lyman and Hodgdon differ on imr 4227 in .410??

Boolit Master

how come Lyman and Hodgdon differ on imr 4227 in .410??

Looking at .410 last night. separated out my .410 hulls.. started looking at load data in my lyman manual... pretty much all I had was H110 and imr 4227. those 2 powders were available for about 85% of the loads in the lyman book in 2.5 and 3" shells .. the lyman manual basically has 1 page for federal and remington hulls, and then 2 pages for winchester hulls.. HS and non HS.. and that is for 2.5" and for 3".... so that's 8 pages of data.

Today since I was able to set at a computer i started looking... Hodgdon's web site does not list any imr 4227 data for any winchester shell in 2.5" but did appear to be in the lyman manual ????? Anyone know why?

( not to mention that i was surprised to see pistol powders only.. pretty much for .410.. and none of the ,dot, powders... )

Boolit Grand Master

I have no idea why that is. My IMR manual lists it, including in a 2 1/2" Winchester shell. I do think it is odd you don't see Bluedot more often in 410. For many years and decades, 2400 was Hercules's 410 powder. Bluedot would be stuck to lower power target loads, but it should be a very good 410 powder. You see data very rarely, but I can't point you in any direction. My guess you don't see it more is partly because for whatever reason people are so set on high velocity. A 1000-1100 fps load is considered slow. The other thing is I don't see any 410 data that runs anywhere near SAMMI maximum pressure. Most seems to be in that 9,000-11,000 psi range just like 12 gauge. It is what it is.

Boolit Master

Cool thanks.. Just making sure I wasn't going crazy... Being extra safe being a shotshell reloader newb

Boolit Master
    Note imr 4227 has been made by different companies

Imr 4227 made By Dupont (very old )

Imr 4227 Made by a company in Canada ..... I think no longer Made

IMR 4227 by ADI Australia ht tp://www.adiworldclass.com.au/

and the load Data is slightly Different ..... Check your Label

I have a
    1 lb can made in canada
    1 lb plastic made in canada
    1 lb Plastic made in Australia

and they will all say Packaged in USA

Boolit Master
    Ballistic Products has Blue Dot data for the 1/2 oz loads in the 2.5" hulls.

Boolit Master

Nice! Gotta love blue dot data in a .410!!

Boolit Master
    overall I think that's a good thing. its indicates that those two companies are doing independent real testing rather than just reprinting loads someone else worked up.
    I think with so many powders available these days it is important to have data worked up by professional ballistic experts.

H110 is the go to powder for .410 shot shells. The problem with 4227 is that it burns the mouth of the hull during firing and ruins the hull in one or two loadings. When I bought my .410 shotgun for $2000 specifically to shoot up my 8 lb. jug of H110 that I had bought for $50 at a gun show figuring I'd shoot it up in my .44's. That didn't happen . So I bought a Pacific DL266 loader off Trapshooters.com for $250 and then a thousand AA and HS Hulls for .15 each or $150 for the Lot.

12 ga. AA's sell for .04-.05 each and I bought 2500 of those from a guy in Las Vegas for $100. So I am a little more particular about my .410's as they are worth 3X the cost of 12 ga.

IF you've got H110 just use it. My standard load is 16.2 gr H110, Claybuster 5050 Red Wad and 1/2 oz of #9 shot. This is the only load I have ever used as I tend to pick one out and use it if it works until Death do us Part!

I just loaded 100 410's this afternoon.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com