Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 429-200-RF 44 Magnum Loads

Lee 429-200-RF 44 Magnum Loads

Cast some 200 grain bullets from this mold for the first time and looking for some plinking loads to be loaded in 44 mag brass for a Ruger SRH and maybe a Henry Big Boy. I've got the Lyman casting book. But, the load data is more for medium to slow burning powders. I'm looking for velocity in the 900-1100 range from the SRH. Bullets are cast mostly of range lead that is testing BHN 8.5-9.0. I'm looking for some faster powder loads to conserve on powder. The hodgdon site has load data, but with such small powder charges, I'm not sure which faster burning powders are likely to be more accurate in a 44 mag case.

What loads of fast burning powders have you found to be accurate for a load such as this? I have most powders except don't have 700, 800, SR 4756. I have bullseye, tight group, hp-38/w231, red, blue and green dot, aa2, aa7, universal, VV320, VV340 and others.

Red Dot is what I have used in my 44 Mags for lighter loads with the LEE 200 FN. Used data from an older Aliant flyer. My Red Dot powder matches the vintage of the flyer.

I would try around 6grs. of VV N320, and a fluff of dacron.
    very relaxing, at 25 meters, under 214grs. and 240grs. cast on S&W 29_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Red Dot is what I have used in my 44 Mags for lighter loads with the LEE 200 FN. Used data from an older Aliant flyer. My Red Dot powder matches the vintage of the flyer.
    MARKP, how position sensitive have you found red dot to be?

Quote Originally Posted by wilecoyote View Post
    I would try around 6grs. of VV N320, and a fluff of dacron.
    very relaxing, at 25 meters, under 214grs. and 240grs. cast on S&W 29_
    I've never loaded with dacron. Anything of which I need to be aware from a safety standpoint?

I learn this by reading an old Guns & Ammo magazine.
    a small ball of dacron is sufficient, crumpled up with your fingers, and inserted with the back of a pencil.
    I use it to keep the powder, if it's a small amount, closer to the primer.
    not everyone considers it appropriate and/or necessary, and not with all the powders, but it has never given me problems in .44mag. and .357mag. with reduced loads of VV N320 or W231_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Hey Ed
    Light 44 loads are the specialty of Lawnsteel shooters. While there are some using Trailboss, Promo is the most common propellant used. In Super Blackhawks and Redhawks, the pet load of 5.0gr will deliver 810fps and are pinpoint accurate out to 75yds. In Contenders, the charge is slightly less to hit the same velocity. If you watch any of the Lawnsteel videos, you will notice each shooter raise the muzzle and powder tap the firearm to locate the charge. It does make a noticeable velocity difference. No one is using filler of any type. The 200gr RNFP you reference, is a popular projectile with Lawnsteel shooters. I personally, cast and use this Lee slug. The Promo pressure spike is particularly well matched for lower velocity obturation. We saw yesterday, a double charge is equivalent to a magnum but still safe in the Ruger platform. Ka-fukin-blewie, with no target impact. It woke everybody up on both lines. Should be very easy to dial up the load to suit your velocity wants. Good skill to you.
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

44 Magnum 200 gr.

44 Magnum.-Universal 6.8 to 7.8 200 gr lead. See Hodgdon data. I use Unique.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 04-27-2022 at 11:44 AM. Reason: 44 Magnum Cartridge

Boolit Grand Master

I use the Lee 429-200-RF in the 44 Magnum and the 44-40 with both handgun and rifle. Iin the 44 magnum [Winchester cases with WLP primer] I use 6 gr of Bullseye. That runs 870 fps out of a 4" Colt Anaconda and 940 fps out of a 6 1/2" Ruger FTBH. It runs 1200 fps out of a 20" M92 Carbine. Accuracy is excellent.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    6.0 grains Red dot, bullseye, 6.5 grains Green dot or WW231: I have used them all with the Lee 429-200 rf boolit in years gone by and I don't recall there being a dimes worth of difference between them. I never have used a filler in pistol cartridges but I have in the 45/70, where it did reduce extreme spreads and standard deviations, as well as slightly improve grouping. In large cartridges like the 45 Colt and 44 Magnum, I like red Dot because it bulks up well in the case. Green dot does also, but I have seldom used it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Thanks all. I have all the powders recommended except Promo. So looks like I’ve got some good options.

Yes sir, great options.

Moderator Emeritus

FYI, Red Dot and Promo are pretty much identical...rumor has it, that Promo is the floor sweepings after they do a run of Red Dot.

I use Red Dot with a 200 gr.
    I've loaded 5.2 gr as well as 7.0gr
    I prefer the 5.2 gr.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    FYI, Red Dot and Promo are pretty much identical...rumor has it, that Promo is the floor sweepings after they do a run of Red Dot.

I use Red Dot with a 200 gr.
    I've loaded 5.2 gr as well as 7.0gr
    I prefer the 5.2 gr.
    I forgot Promo is supposed to be an older or dirty version of red dot or something similar to the old formulation. Don't remember the specifics.

Are you using the Lee 429-200 bullet?

Anyone ever try Maxam CSB-1. I have lots of that. Uses Universal load data but don't know it's burn characteristics / safety in a reduced load.

Got some test loads of Red Dot and Unique loaded up I hope to text for leading and chrono this weekend.

I used this Lee in the 44 mag. and

Boolit Master
    I use the Accurate 43-200L which looks identical to the Lee 200 gr. Either Red Dot/Promo 6.0 gr. or Unique 7.5 gr. are fantastic plinkers in my SW 629.
    Last edited by Ed_Shot; 05-26-2022 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
    COME AND TAKE IT
    Let’s Go Brandon!!!!

Here are some test results from this last weekend. The below information is for you to compare to your own data that you have verified via a verified load data source. If people are interested in additional information I'll continue to post as I test additional loads.

Gun: Ruger Super Red Hawk
    Bullet: Lee 429-200-RF in a plain base
    Lube: White Label Lube Blue Carnauba
    Sized: .431
    COL: 1.551
    Lead: WW + 1 1/2 Sn. BHN ~ 12.5 - 13.0
    Primer: CCI Large Pistol Magnum - short on regular LP primers so using magnums. In a Henry Big boy the CCI LPM was about 70 fps faster than a Winchester LP. But, the difference in primers was not chronographed in the Super Red Hawk.
    Powder Settling Technique: None - loaded straight from ammo box with bullet facing down and placed straight into cylinder.
    Temperature: 85 F

# shots Powder Wt Velocity Extreme Spread Group Notes
    8 Maxam CSB-1 8.5 1,117 53 fps 2.4" no leading
    5 Maxam CSB-1 9.0 1,166 53 fps 1.0" no leading
    5 Maxam CSB-1 9.0 1,180 22 fps 1.7" no leading
    5 Maxam CSB-1 9.5 1,227 7 fps 1.1" very slight leading along thrust side of rifling but very acceptable
    5 Maxam CSB-1 10.0 1,256 42 fps 1.4" very slight leading along thrust side of rifling but acceptable

I had not tried CSB-1 in this gun only in a Henry Big Boy. In the Henry Big Boy the above loads ran 120 fps - 150 fps faster shot in 65 F degree temperature. The above loads chrono'd faster than I expected thus I will be testing some loads below 8.5 grains of CSB-1. I will be targeting loads in the 950 - 1,050 fps range in my SRH. Hoping in the Henry Big Boy to come in the mid 1,100's to low 1,200's.

More testing with different powders. All the above parameters are the same except for those listed below

Sized: .430
    Lead: 50% Range Lead / 50% WW + Sn to fill out mold ~ 1.0%. BHN ~ 10.5

# shots Powder Wt Velocity Extreme Spread Group Notes
    5 Red Dot 6.0 976 45 fps 1.4" very mild load, no leading
    5 Red Dot 7.0 1,090 55 fps 2.4" mild load, no leading. Pulled one shot 1.0".
    5 Unique 8.0 1,057 71 fps 1.6" no leading, a little smoky as compared to other loads
    4 Unique 8.5 1,126 46 fps 0.6" no leading, less smoky than 8.0
    Last edited by SoonerEd; 05-10-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Master

Not the 200 RNFP, but the 429215 fared quite well with 9.3 grains of W231 in my experience. Will be interesting to see if something in that range would do well for you.

With little effort expended on my part I have not found a great shooting loading with the 200 RNFP.
    Gonna try the PROMO/Bullseye loadings listed here.

Years ago I bought the 429214 mold to replace the 429215 Lyman so I could avoid the GC addition.
    I never could get the boolit to shoot so went to all 250-310 w boolits.

I have the 200 and 250 RNFP versions of the Lee boolit and had only moderate sucess with them before I kind of got out of the 44 Mag shooting.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 05-16-2022 at 05:34 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast