RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners

Thread: Budget AR 15 scope

Boolit Master

Budget AR 15 scope

I'm considering an optic for my AR. I want a variable power either 2-7X or 3-9X with mil-dot reticle. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on this, it spends almost all of it's time in the safe. I seldom shoot it but want glass on it when I do. I see a lot of low dollar scopes out there, some as cheap as $70, but have no idea of quality. I know quality optics aren't cheap but I'm looking for a "good enough to get by" scope. Does anybody here have any real life experience and advice concerning the low dollar AR scopes?

Boolit Grand Master
    I recently bought a Weaver K6 from a member here for what you would pay for a cheap scope.

Last year I bought a like new good quality scope for my air rifle from another member. IIRC It was about 1/2 or 2/3 the price of new one.

Many good quality used scopes are still warrantied so there is minimal risk. My suggestion is to be patient and get a good used scope. Your AR spends most its time in your safe so no big rush.

My AR’s are not used much either as I hate chasing brass, but they are there if the SHTF. So I tend to put decent sights on them as my life may be on the line when using them.

I stopped buying cheap scopes about 15 years ago. You will regret buying a new $70 scope.
    Don Verna

I just got one of these and I think it is GREAT. Very Clear sight picture, and easy to install. Not $70, but I found it on sale for $250.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sau...atch%20-%20All
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

CDNN has a scope sale going on.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Primary Arms. For AR platform scopes on a budget they are nigh on impossible to beat.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    SWFA has their own line of scopes called Super Sniper. I have been using them for many years and they are solid. Their side focus, 1st focal plane scopes are a bit spendy but their 2nd focal plane scopes are solid and very reasonable. I've used several Vortex 1-6 Strike Eagles and have been underwhelmed. Just picked up a 1-4 SWFA made for the AR platform but haven't used it yet. Looks pretty good.

I know they are far from cheap, but the 4x Trijicon ACOG is just an excellent optic for the AR. It doesn't do anything awesome, it just works good enough for everything. I've used them for close and fast and out to 600+. They are small, solid and really reliable.

Just bought a new scope for my new AR, was right at $250, 3x9 brushline pro crimson trace brand. Seems to be well built, about as cheap as I could go..

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Primary Arms. For AR platform scopes on a budget they are nigh on impossible to beat.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Yep! I got a 1-6x24FFP and a 1X Reflex with a lighted reticle which works better than a red dot with astigmatism.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

When I went looking for a budget scope for my M1a, I ended up with the Vortex Crossfire II in 7x32. I'm very happy with it and their lifetime no questions asked warranty is the best in the business.
    https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-cros...iflescope.html
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    If you can get an airgun scope reasionable, can't beat that>> i put one on my sons 30-06
    fantastic in the deer woods>>> think i spent $15.00 on it>> he had killed deer with it, out past 400 yds>>

Boolit Buddy
    They are a bit more expensive than $70 now ($124 on Amazon) but, re BLAHUT, a Bugbuster scope makes a dandy all around scope and they balance an AR nicely because they aren't very big.

I have gone cheap a couple of times and have had good luck with with fixed 4x power scopes. I currently have a Simmons 8 Point 4x on a bolt action. $50.

A Tasco Proghorn 4x lasted over thirty years for me. Then I figured my luck would run out and sold it with a 300BLK bolt gun that it had been on for a few hundred rounds.

Both scopes held zero.

Super Moderator

I purchased a Vortex Viper 6.5x20 for one of my AR's. It's been a great scope for prairie dogs, and precision target shooting as well. Vortex's prices are reasonable, and a good value for your hard earned dollars.

www.arkenopticsusa.com In my humble opinion, can't be beat for the money!
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - "Thomas Jefferson"