RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBQ raccoon

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Ah now, you had to bring gizzards into this, I love those things. I cooked one, many years ago and while eating it my kids joined in, not caring what it was. Haven't killed another since, but wouldn't hesitate to eat an other if I ever do.
    Are you talking about Gizzards or Buzzards? It’s tough to kill a gizzard without killing the bird it’s in.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    Are you talking about Gizzards or Buzzards? It’s tough to kill a gizzard without killing the bird it’s in.
    Nah, sorry, I was talking chicken gizzards, and killing and eating a racoon...should have made it clearer Buzzards? Now that I would be hard pressed to attempt to dine on.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I already have one! I had one made into a super trooper coon hat! Had them made by Rocton Fur Co. I had them make me a mountain man hat out a coyote, a bobcat, and a red Fox. Great conversation pieces that I’ve never worn in public.lol. The coon cap is my favorite. I think I will just hang the pelts on my wall this time around. I also sent in a grey Fox I shot with my crossbow this past season to be tanned.

The place I had my hats made…

https://www.wildthingsfur.com/

They do an excellent job. They even make furkini’s!
    LIKE !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill 7 View Post
    This is a good post. Took me a long time to read it because I was laughing so much. I’m with Randy though not eating any of those critters unless I’m starving. They rank up there with gizzards and livers. No thank you. You all can have my share of them.
    I have a great Louisiana Cajun Gizzard Gumbo recipe if you would like it ...made with chicken gizzards and hearts and andouille sausage ... you might like it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

My favorite soup was something my grandmother called risotto. Cut up gizzards, hearts, onion and garlic sautéed then par boiled then added to chicken stock with a little tomato paste and simmered until the gizzards were tender. Almost thick as gumbo and topped with grated Parmesan cheese. Mom made it too but w/o tomato paste. Too bad the wife is opposed to organ meat.
    I’ve had well prepared coon a few times. Don’t think I’d go through the trouble myself unless I was really desperate.
    My buddy had coon dogs and we had lots of coons around. I believe most were subsisting on our garden crops. Nothing like knowing your corn would be ripe tomorrow, then finding every stalk broken and each ear sampled to make you a confirmed coon hunter.

You know? I'm sure it's delicious, but I think I will just stick with pork and beef.
    Not so much into gizzards and hearts either, but I do love Spam.

Boolit Master
    again I'm no expert but its all about what the critters been eating and how its cleaned and prepared.
    had bad experience just this week with home prepared meat. a friend gave me about 10 pounds of whole hog sausage. its so disgusting even the dog won't eat it.

Boolit Buddy
    When properly prepared BBQ coon is a fine meal.
    We only cook young ones.

My Dad was a furbuyer for several years and had a buyer from either K.C. or ST. Louis that would purchase all the coon carcasses he could get.
    My Dad only kept carcasses from coons that he knew had been trapped or shot the night before. Anything suspect got tossed onto a pile on a trailer outside to be hauled off. He told me that one time there hadn't been much activity so they didn't have but just a few in the freezer for the guy so after he had paid and loaded up his coons my Dad's partner looked out the door a few minutes later and the guy was going through the pile on the trailer digging out the coons from among all of the foxes, coyotes, possums, mink etc. Sometimes that trailer didn't get dumped for 2-3 weeks or even longer if the weather was cold.

An active duty army Captain I met had been raised in Alabama, and stated flatly that coon is really good.

I have never tried coon, but had several jack rabbits, regular bunnies, and once, rattlesnake. Snake was good, by the way.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Young small coon great!!!!!!!!!! Big coon I skin and use for coyote bait.

Boolit Master
    I've had coon twice and it was fine. Once cooked in wine and once in chili.

With the way meat prices are going I might cook some this fall.

Boolit Buddy
    Love pickled turkey gizzard with Tabasco.

Boolit Buddy
    We always made BBQ pot roast with potatoes and carrots with BBQ sauce with coon growing up and it was delicious

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I've heard they're similar to naugas. There isn't much meat on them, but their hides are worth a fortune.
    Naugas are much too ferocious to hunt. Guess that is why their hides are worth so much.
    NRA Benefactor member

Vendor Sponsor

Naugas are closely related to pleathers. Around here we have a plethora of pleathers. Hides are usually multi stained and smell like beer and cheetos
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12