RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: spring pistol hunting

spring pistol hunting

The carpenter bees are back in force so I decided to try working up a good load for them in my flintlock 50 cal pistol. Settled on 25gr of powder, a newspaper wad, a big scoop of uncooked grits, and another wad. This load has proven to be very effective though I was not able to conduct any post mortem examinations since the bees get blown away really fast. This does provide some fun aerial shooting practice and hopefully will help preserve my house from the buggers drilling holes in it. Plus it is entertaining.

Boolit Master

That sounds like fun for sure. I would love to do that here and likely using my .36 Navy, as the only other BP that I have is just a .32 Cal. Squirrel rifle.

Due to the fact that I live inside the city limits though, I will have to hold off until right around July 4th when fireworks are allowed in town. I could slip in a few BP shots with no problem at that time.

In the meantime, I do have a toy pump action A-Salt rifle. It shoots table salt and is great at taking out flies, wasps, and on up to probably carpenter bees as long as the bee was just a few feet away. The thing actually is very accurate for up to 4-5 ft. if you use the sights.

Looks like I will have to try working up a load for a cylinder full of grits or rice and have my load ready to go later.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Ha! I like shooting down the fuzzy buggers too, except I use an electric airsoft rifle. It’s kind of like a dogfight with them diving and juking and my pellets flying by like tracers. When they connect it’s not uncommon to blow the little pests apart. I like the biodegradable pellets since it’s my front yard. Nothing like sipping coffee on the front porch rocker while zapping carpenter bees in mid flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    The carpenter bees are back in force so I decided to try working up a good load for them in my flintlock 50 cal pistol. Settled on 25gr of powder, a newspaper wad, a big scoop of uncooked grits, and another wad. This load has proven to be very effective though I was not able to conduct any post mortem examinations since the bees get blown away really fast. This does provide some fun aerial shooting practice and hopefully will help preserve my house from the buggers drilling holes in it. Plus it is entertaining.
    Just an FYI, speaking from experience, news paper wadding will set a dry lawn on fire, as will cotton rags. I use a 1/2" hole punch to punch out wads using the foil lined waxed card board containers typical of tofu or juice boxes. Works great.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I use a B B gun loaded with some packed sawdust for carpenter bees. It's good to about five feet and works great on the big coconut spiders I sometimes get out in the shop.

Boolit Master

Anyone know how long grained wild rice might work?
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RickinTN View Post
    Anyone know how long grained wild rice might work?
    Rick
    Sounds like edible flechettes!

This could be the answer to many questions in this thread;
    https://www.pyramydair.com/product/g...n-rifle?m=1020
    I don't have a big dangerous bug problem here, but when I do go on an insect safari, I wad my .22 Sheridan and shoot tumbler media. I still want one of these though....
    Deplorable infidel