Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data Wideners

Thread: WTB .303 Savage Brass

Boolit Bub

WTB .303 Savage Brass

Hello everyone,

I was just gifted a Savage Model 99 .303 Savage Takedown Lever Action Carbine Rifle, for singing/playing guitar, at a friend's wedding on Mackinaw Island, MI, 10 years ago.

Do any of you members have any .303 Savage brass for sale? I would appreciate any and all comments on loading for this rifle. I have a few other Savage 99's, so know my way around the Model 99's, I just haven't any experience in this caliber. Many thanks in advance for all who lend advice.

Mike

Boolit Master
    I think, I'd have to check my book, you can use 308 Winchester brass and full length resize it to any of the savage, 300, 303 and the 250-300.

Someone else may chime in since I'm at work and my book & notes on converting these is at home.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The hard part is a set of of dies and shell holder. Lee is the only one in the last 30 year. PPU is good brass. Will use a.308 jacketed bullet or .309 + cast. Pm if you need more info.
    Last edited by clintsfolly; 04-25-2022 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Bub
    Remiel: I do quite a bit of case forming, and the only viable calibers, according to my several case forming books, are the .220 Swift and .38-40 brass, and that not without a lot of handiwork, such as annealing, head diameter thinning, etc. It would just be a lot easier to buy some .303 Savage brass.

Shawlerbrook: I also have seen that, but I am on a fixed income, am old, and probably not going to shoot the .303 Savage that much. So, I thought I might be able to score 50-100 rounds of once fired brass on this forum, that wouldn't make my bride of 40 years cringe when writing a money order.

Clintsfolly: I have ordered the Lee dies, and have the RCBS #33 S.H. already, as my .338 Federal takes the same S.H. I have seen the PPU brass, and have used it in other calibers, but it is pricey. I have all the reloading data needed for loading, just need brass. Maybe a trade could also be arranged, as I have much brass in a plethora of calibers.

How many you looking for?

Boolit Bub
    50-100 pieces of either new or once fired brass. I have to say clintsfolly, your photo looks like me looking in the mirror, and I also play Santa Claus locally. Ho, Ho, Ho. Only difference is I have wire rim glasses. The beard is the same size and same color. LOL.

Boolit Man
    PM Sent. Brass and dies available.

Boolit Master
    Graf's has Prvi brass and Lee Dies, both work very well for me. 303 Savage is not easily formed from any other brass. The 303 Savage brass made by Prvi (PPU) works much better than any brass forming attempts. The 300 Savage is VERY DIFFERENT from the 303 Savage, VERY DIFFERENT, though both use .30 caliber bullets. The 308 does work well for the 300 Savage with simple resizing and trimming.

Boolit Buddy
    I dont have any extra, buy I'm an active 303 savage shooter and reloader. With annealing the brass at normal frequency, the ppu is excellent brass. I don't have any complaints about it. As for dies, my lee dies have been excellent as well. Take time to learn, and buy the tools to partial full length resize with the lee dies and you should be all set.

My 303 savage loves any of the lyman, rcbs or noe clone versions of 30 cal bullets. It also shoot 30 call jacketed under moa at 100 yards.