MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1000 yard binoculars to see .45-70 holes

Boolit Master

1000 yard binoculars to see .45-70 holes

I am cheap but will spend if needed! I am looking for a 1000 yard glass that will see .45-70 hits and holes in targets. I want Binoculars, prefer $1000 or under but will spend more if needed. I have two very heavy tripods that was used for long range picture taking. They are not K-Mart tripods. If I could figer out how to use my 60-70's lenses That I used taking and selling pictures I would use them. Have one lens I used for shots out to 1/2 mile but 20+ pounds is to much to use for shooting.

That's a head scratcher.
    You might try to find a pair of those US Navy surplus ones the look outs used before radar came along.
    They aren't exactly light, but they work REAL well.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Not to discourage you, but have you considered a remote camera?

I don't think you can have what you want. As mentioned, some WW2 ship's binoculars might work or a set of Kowa "big eyes" but they are considerably more than $1K.

I have trouble seeing past 200 yards due to mirage. I would also suggest a remote camera if you’re target shooting.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    Hubble?

Boolit Grand Master
    I have never shot long range and was wondering how it is done. By that I mean do you put up a target and drive back to the shooting position and then drive back down to target to patch holes or put up another target?

I have a 200 yard range at my place and use a Kawasaki Mule to go back and forth because I am lazy.

One of the clubs I was a member at had a golf cart for the 300 yard range.

My point being, if you have to use a golf cart, SxS or truck to drive back and forth to attend to the target, why would the weight of equipment needed be of much concern.

If I did not have a SxS, I would likely get a camera system even for my 200 yard range.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Why not use a spotting scope instead?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master

I use 25 x 100 mm binoculars for spotting in BPCR silhouette matches they worked well but then I needed to see the splash. much less fatigue and strain with them. The old unertal team scopes would show holes at long distances but they were big and heavy, were 60x x 1000 mm. The big binoculars from battleships work well but they are very heavy being cast iron bodies and built to withstand weather and abuse These were used for spotting shell impacts at miles. rare and very expensive.

Most ranges with mid to long range targets and or matches have operating targets and pits. you dont need to see holes but the 51/2" spotter thats placed in the holle white on black and black on white. Newer ranges have the target cameras that send to your phone i pad or laptop.

Conditions are going to play a big part. The target cameras are your sure thing

Moderator Emeritus
    I don't really think you have a chance of seeing holes at 1000 yds mostly due to mirage and the size of the hole. The only way you might have a chance is if there is a reflective background, allowing you to see the light coming through the hole. I have used this at 200yds to see .223 holes with a spotting scope and it really shines if the sun is hitting it. I can usually see .223 holes without the backer, but not always, depending on mirage, how bright the day is, and where the sun is.

https://www.amazon.com/REFLECTIX-BP2...07480985&psc=1

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Hubble?
    That is it!

I think this falls under "unrealitic expectations"
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    I have a farm that I can shoot 1000 yards but don't own the farm so a setting up a camera isn't something I can do. I have never shot at a 1000 yards but am going to try it. I never looked at good glasses so had no idea if there were glasses I wanted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    I have a farm that I can shoot 1000 yards but don't own the farm so a setting up a camera isn't something I can do. I have never shot at a 1000 yards but am going to try it. I never looked at good glasses so had no idea if there were glasses I wanted.
    They aren’t permanently installed, take a look at https://www.longshotcameras.com/ to get an idea.

Boolit Grand Master

The cameras are pretty much a self contained unit the one mod to the range you migh want to make is to dig a small groove for it to set in below ground level in front of the target. to protect the target camera from low rounds.

I have used a buddies on a 200 yd range they are nice as they show the last shot and group both. easy to set up and not a lot of issues with them, not as affected by light or mirage and optics.

I know this is not the exact answer to your question, but it may be a viable solution. If you were to have an iPad ($1000) with cellular service and a data plan (not sure of the monthly cost) at that location, you could live stream an image from the target location to your smart phone at your location to provide the shot data you are looking for. Just an idea.

Bill

Boolit Master
    I was gonna say a telescope might work

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    Need a camera system or a pit bunker for a buddy to sit in and radio the hits. Pit could be 50- 100 yards short of target and he has the binos...

Boolit Master
    The iPad sounds good as no money outlay.

Get Your self a drone with a camera, fly it down range and land it with camera focused on the target. Problem solved !
    My 2

Good Shooting

Lindy

Boolit Buddy
    I'm sure you could get a set of eyepieces for your long range camera set up if it's a telescope type system, if it's lenses for a camera then how about using the camera on a tripod, just to look through.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast