Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: CVA Hawken Transformation

Boolit Buddy

CVA Hawken Transformation

Picked up a slightly used .50 CVA Hawken off Gunbroker. Adding it to the inventory for potential movie prop use but also as a shooter. Since the original appearance is a bit too modern looking to pass for a period clone I decided to change the appearance. I understand that it doesn't match the configuration for an original Hawken I think it would pass as a period clone. Opinions?

Stock was stripped, flamed and stained then linseed oiled. Steel was browned. Brass was pickled to darken.

As received:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CVA 1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	299473

Name:	CVA 2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	299474

As reworked:

Name:	CVA Rework1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	299475

Name:	CVA Rework3.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	299476

Boolit Master
    Nice work.
    I am currently rebuilding a dozen TC Hawkens and Renagade that I bought used.
    Not all of them were in nice condition.
    But the ones I finished already look and shoot great.
    I too am going mostly with the linseed oil finish to make them look more period correct.

Boolit Master
    Looks like you did a good job!!
    The few period Hawkens I have seen (even shot one!!) looked like they had been drug down a county road for days.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I think it came out well. It looks old, and only an expert would know the difference. Loves me a Hawken. So tell us more about your movie prop. business.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I think it came out well. It looks old, and only an expert would know the difference. Loves me a Hawken. So tell us more about your movie prop. business.
    My movie props are utilized as part of my second career (well not really a career, more like a hobby) as an armorer. I've worked on several movie projects starting in 2010 with things picking up in the past few years. Have done one so far this year (Western), two last year (WWII) and two the year before (Western and WWII), plus some before that (military). Typically I'll provide or source some firearms as appropriate to the script and otherwise manage the firearms as supplied by the production company or prop house through the production company. The trend at this point is no live firearms on set, only replicas (non-guns) or disabled, inert firearms. The movie this year allowed a couple of real guns that were appropriately rendered inert. One was an original Colt 1877 Lightning that I had cast a solid polyurethane cylinder for and switched out so that it was incapably of chambering a live round. Movies in the past have wanted blank-firing versions, so there was that challenge. Since "Rust" the firearms safety and security side has gotten even more strict, which is fine by me as I am also a Range Safety Officer. Presents some interesting juxtaposition some times...

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice job on the finish. It may sound a little off, but I like the finish that results from the use of red mahogany stain on walnut. Doesn't sound like a natural combo, but it renders the final product as resembling an old walnut stock. Still "walnuty" but in an aged, fine wine look.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Nice job on the finish. It may sound a little off, but I like the finish that results from the use of red mahogany stain on walnut. Doesn't sound like a natural combo, but it renders the final product as resembling an old walnut stock. Still "walnuty" but in an aged, fine wine look.
    Thanks! I've used a reddish stain before that is supposed to approximate the military stain for M1 Garands. I considered that for this project but decided I didn't want the reddish hue. I've got another Hawken kit to do that I'm thinking about doing some tack decorations or inlay work on. Maybe that one will end up with the reddish stain...

Boolit Buddy
    Not trying to hy-jack your thread, but, question, rebuilding a Hawkens style 45 cal., what dia. does the ram rod need to be, having to make the thimbles also.
    coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    All my .45s have a 3/8" ramrod if they are made in the U S.
    Foreign ones use rods that are 9 mm or .355 diameter.
    I get material and parts from Track of the Wolf

Boolit Buddy
    +1 Track of the Wolf...

Boolit Master
    36g,
    As a historian, I wonder what era your movie theme represents. Hawkens were used during the fur trade era. If an earlier era is portrayed, then the Hawkens should be stocked to the muzzle like a Pennsylvania Rifle.
    To the untrained eye, most movie guns pass viewer muster....
    Be well.
    Adam

Boolit Buddy
    No movie calling for this rifle at the moment, just adding to inventory. The last movie that I worked on called for one and we scrambled a bit to find one. Ended up with an antique semi-Hawken style with a long barrel in about .40. Movie was depicting a 1879 timeframe but this rifle was for a poorer family moving west via wagon in Montana. Movie script writers are notorious for getting details wrong or for calling for firearms that are either inappropriate or unobtanium within the parameters called for by the production company (e.g. no live or fireable firearms on set and consequently no non-guns ever manufactured in that style).
    Last edited by 36g; 04-30-2022 at 12:51 PM.