MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making 42 Russian Berdan Brass?

Boolit Man
    I thought since this post got quite the number of views I’d write a conclusion.

The 42 Russian so far hasn’t been a super difficult cartridge to load by necking down 43 Spanish in a 41 Swiss or 44 magnum die.(don’t use 348 Winchester, it won’t work) I repeat that process after firing as well, however with my chamber track of the wolf 43 Spanish brass seems to be perfect and I can get away with out sizing my brass with Black Powder loads, they just need a little crimp.

Body sizing with a 43 Spanish die also ain’t gonna work, the Russians case is to wide. Just get the CH4D set if you need a FL die. The berdan 2 also really likes a softer bullet, the Matt’s bullets I was using were to hard and left lead deposits in the barrel.

So far this project has been very very fun, I have an older Lyman mould I plan on trying to cast my own heavy bullets!

Boolit Master

What mould?
    What sizing die?

Boolit Mold
    I have been using 60 grains of black, and a raw wool filler if I need it for most of my BP militaries. For the Berdan II, definitely use the Buffalo Arms cases, they work well. Aneal the necks, and make sure that the chamber is smooth.

Boolit Mold
    What mould are you using?

Boolit Bub
    If you can find it, 427103 is the correct Ideal/Lyman mold for the Berdan II rifle.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by wrcook45-70 View Post
    What mould are you using?
    I forgot I made an update and didn’t respond back- I currently just use 44 magnum lead bullets from where ever I can get them, I’m still learning the ropes to properly cast my own.

I did purchase a mould that I think is an Ideal 427103 but it’s got some other stamps and marks on it, I’ll update this thread when I figure out what it is and if I can use it.

As for a sizing die I use a 41 Swiss die from lee to neck size, the proper dies are available from CH4D, but I’ve heard they are backlogged quite a ways currently.

Absolute shot in the dark here, but you say you've had success with .43 Spanish brass you may be able to use 7mm Rem Mag brass. I've used it to make .43 Spanish brass. I use a snap ring in the extractor groove to make a rim.

There are several threads talking about converting 7 Mag to .43 Spanish. It can be done. I think the belt on the magnum cases is supposed to be .525.

Like I said, shot in the dark, never have done it and too lazy to look up the specs on the russian and compare.

I think almost any of the belted cases could be used as donor cases, I used the 7 Mag because they were there.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...h-be-made-from

Just some light bathroom reading material

Boolit Grand Master

Snap rings ! What a fine idea to try out on 9.3 brass in the 50-100.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=Dhall_37;5476555
    I did purchase a mould that I think is an Ideal 427103 but it’s got some other stamps and marks on it, I’ll update this thread when I figure out what it is and if I can use it.

[/QUOTE]

I own three Ideal/Lyman 427103 molds, and each one is different. One has three lube grooves with a round nose, a plain base, and casts 365 grains in pure lead with a diameter of .427"; the second mold is similar but only has two lube grooves, a plain base and casts 370 grains and .428". The third 427103 has a completely different profile, resembling an Italian Vetterli fmj bullet, with a tapered round nose, two lube grooves, a gas check base, and casts 342 grains at .426". All of these molds are marked "427103".
    The first two shoot very well in my Berdan rifles, and all three do well in Italian Vetterlis; I've never used a gas check on the third bullet, but it's a bit undersized for the Berdans. Just speculation on my part, but it appears that Ideal/Lyman was making this mold as a custom or semi-custom job at some point or another.
    Frankly, my best performing bullet comes from a nose-pour paper patch round nose design, .422" diameter, 370 grains with a cup base, like the Russian service bullet. I paper patch this to .430" with 9# onion skin paper.
    I had it made by Dave Farmer, Colorado Shooter’s Supply, years ago. There are other custom mold makers that can produce similar designs.
    Also, I've made plinking rounds just using .44 cal lead pistol bullets, and 10 grains of Unique, or 30 grains of BP, but most pistol bullets are too hard, and lead the barrel, or just don't stabilize in the Berdan bore.
    Last edited by fgd135; 10-27-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Absolute shot in the dark here, but you say you've had success with .43 Spanish brass you may be able to use 7mm Rem Mag brass. I've used it to make .43 Spanish brass. I use a snap ring in the extractor groove to make a rim.

There are several threads talking about converting 7 Mag to .43 Spanish. It can be done. I think the belt on the magnum cases is supposed to be .525.

Like I said, shot in the dark, never have done it and too lazy to look up the specs on the russian and compare.

I think almost any of the belted cases could be used as donor cases, I used the 7 Mag because they were there.
    rim.

That would probably work with a good engine lathe. I know some people make 11mm Mauser from 300 Win Mag. I’ll look into it, I have lathe access at work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12