RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Shot the new Marlin Ruger .45-70 today

Boolit Master

Shot the new Marlin Ruger .45-70 today

Ruger was out at local gun range showing off their new toys. I handled the new Marlin .45-70. Wow it is nice.
    There were 2 of them and they said it was out-of-the-box, no action job.
    1 had the ghost ring (receiver sight), and other had a scope
    And it was SWEET, way way smoother than original Marlin.
    Fit & finish very nice. They have done well

Boolit Master
    what's the price on one of those

Boolit Master

Glad to hear it. Now lets have some 1894s in .327 Fed.................
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Quote Originally Posted by ddixie884 View Post
    Glad to hear it. Now lets have some 1894s in .327 Fed.................
    And matte finish blued 336 Texan 30-30s with Birch stocks for less than $500.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    what's the price on one of those
    $1399 MSRP I’ve been on the list since December…

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Good to read they are permitting shooters to actually shoot them.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    And matte finish blued 336 Texan 30-30s with Birch stocks for less than $500.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giphy.gif 
Views:	752 
Size:	883.2 KB 
ID:	299500
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    Grab A Gun is advertising them for $2699.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Forgot to mention it comes with threaded muzzle. it has a thread protector cap on it.
    That plus the picatinny rail I believe gives it the tactical parts needed to be tactical, yet looks correct lever gun.

As per Brian Pearce in his recent Rifle Magazine article, they are going to make the 1894 44 mag with a 1-20" twist--finally.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Looked at one at my LGS a few weeks ago. Excellent fit and finish but $1300 was waaaaay to rich for my blood!
    Tom Vietnam Vet..........June 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by onlybrowning View Post
    Grab A Gun is advertising them for $2699.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've watched grab-a-gun continuously jack up the price on that particular gun for about a year. Started at 1.5, then 1.8, then 2.4 and up. Not sure why Ruger even distributes to them with that predatory and anti-consumer pricing crap.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    As per Brian Pearce in his recent Rifle Magazine article, they are going to make the 1894 44 mag with a 1-20" twist--finally.
    Even though I swore I would never buy another Ruger anything a 1-20 twist 44 mag rifle could make me change my mind. Just have to factor in sending it in for warranty repairs once or twice.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Yep, if they want to really bring the Marlin's back they are going to have to build the base guns at prices normal people can afford. These laminated stock all stainless guns with picatinny rails and threaded muzzles are not what most people want or are willing to pay for. And they are going to have to build them in adequate numbers so that they aren't all sold on Gunbroker for double Suggested Retail Price.

Boolit Buddy
    You can buy one of the miroku Winchester repros for that, and I can tell you firsthand, they're gorgeous.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 35 Rem View Post
    Yep, if they want to really bring the Marlin's back they are going to have to build the base guns at prices normal people can afford. These laminated stock all stainless guns with picatinny rails and threaded muzzles are not what most people want or are willing to pay for. And they are going to have to build them in adequate numbers so that they aren't all sold on Gunbroker for double Suggested Retail Price.
    No way, there will be a glowing review in the American rifleman complete with accuracy tests. There you will find out why you need to buy it and how all your friends in the deer woods are going to get one too. If you can find the review between all the junk ads.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve heard both good and bad about the quality of the new guns. They may be right out of the box, but I am sure they were looked over before being put on display. I think I’ll wait a while before seriously considering buying one. I still have one in 45/70 I bought new in the eighties, however I often think it would be nice to have another lever action in a smaller caliber. I came real close to buying a new Remlin in .357 a year ago, but didn’t.

Boolit Buddy
    Afternoon Friends!
    Like so many, I toyed with the idea of "Is Marlin truly back?" and have to say with no reservations- if the Trapper I took delivery of today is any indication of what the future holds. Don't wait. Buy one. I have a thing for trappers- my Win 94 is a trapper and my go-to for the last weekend of deer season when all else fails.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marlintrapperleftside.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	300839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marlintrapperrightside.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	300840

Trigger breaks at a very consistent 4.5#, fit to tang is excellent for a production rifle. Pushed the barrel and am further impressed. Serial number is just under 5500. Action is tight. I did find what it doesn't like. If you fail to fully seat the round, it will tie up the action- making you manually move the round to the rear. Otherwise it feeds perfectly the 330 grain Gould and the 405 cast.

As good old ND is having a 40mph NW wind and the range is situated N/S, I didn't get a chance to put a round down today. After owning a 444, 45/70 CB and GBL, 1894 32-20, 336 this is far and away the nicest and smoothest of them. If it shoots like it looks I will be handing it down to grandkids someday. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer or more specific pictures anyone would like that is on the fence.
    Zingger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Even though I swore I would never buy another Ruger anything a 1-20 twist 44 mag rifle could make me change my mind. Just have to factor in sending it in for warranty repairs once or twice.
    I was shooting my 1894 Marlin .44 Mag today and it’s not nearly as accurate as my 1in 20” Ruger #1 in .44 Mag. The Marlin is a 2-3” at fifty yards gun with jacketed bullets or very light cast boolit loads, the #1 is basically one hole at 50 and 2” at 100 with any decent boolit/bullet.

If/When Marlin (Ruger) comes out with an 1894C in .357 I’ll be waiving my CC like a drunk sailor on shore leave.