Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 402" HP Mold and Alloy Recommendations

Boolit Buddy

402" HP Mold and Alloy Recommendations

Looking for recommendations on a HP mold for 10mm that cast 402" boolits (180-200gr).

Also, what alloy mix seems to work best for expansion?

Wanting to try something different and may possibly use for hunting Axis, Whitetail and/or hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Looking for recommendations on a HP mold for 10mm that cast 402" boolits (180-200gr).

Also, what alloy mix seems to work best for expansion?

Wanting to try something different and may possibly use for hunting Axis, Whitetail and/or hogs.
    Don't know exactly what mold but Accurate molds seems to me to be nice. Keep your alloy soft. I get some expansion on non-hollow point bullets if I keep the hardness between 8-11 BHN.

ACC

Boolit Master

Does Accurate make HP molds?
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    SNIP...

what alloy mix seems to work best for expansion?
    best expansion?
    I assume you are looking for the Goldielocks recipe?
    not too much and not too little...but just right.

I think you'll only find that through testing with your loads, shot through your gun.
    Good Luck.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...oint-expansion

One hint is: A alloy with balanced Tin and Antimony is less likely to fragment...a quality that is desirable for a expanding boolit. I'd probably start the testing with 97-1.5-1.5
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Does Accurate make HP molds?
    If you have deep pockets you could send your Accurate Mold to Hollowpoint Mold Service. I think I've seen a couple posted here by their owners.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    best expansion?
    I assume you are looking for the Goldielocks recipe?
    not too much and not too little...but just right.

I think you'll only find that through testing with your loads, shot through your gun.
    Good Luck.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...oint-expansion

One hint is: A alloy with balanced Tin and Antimony is less likely to fragment...a quality that is desirable for a expanding boolit. I'd probably start the testing with 97-1.5-1.5
    I knew testing was going to be a must along with alloy adjustments, etc. This helps and gives me a starting point.

Being an auto cartridge, I'm sure the Challege is trying to get repeatable expansion results and hope the alloy can withstand being feed without deformation.

Boolit Buddy

MP-Mold example

This is my new MP 402-160 mold that I just heat treated by heating it to 350 degrees and letting it cool 3x. Doing so puts a panteen on the surface. New, the mold really shines and looks beautiful. MP molds are considered one of the best molds and comes from Slovenia. Molds comes with round pins, hex pins, and flat pins so you can cast flat round nose bullets. Service is very fast. I think it came in a week from the day I ordered it. As you can see, the pins slide out and the bullet drops out. Some make sure the pins are hot so the bullets drop out. Some rub pencil lead on the pins. As you can see, I bought the 2 cavity mold. I did so because it was cheaper, lighter than a 4 cavity, and I was thinking that the cast bullets would be more consistent. I plan on casting bullets with straight .22lr range lead and .22lr range lead +2% tin. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPMold.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	299506

Boolit Grand Master

You'll find a binary alloy of lead/tin to be best for expansion. If you push them above 1200 fps somewhere between a 20-1 and 16-1 alloy will fill the bill. Besides expansion when using an auto loader is how well the softer alloy handles the trip from magazine to chamber without too much deformation or hanging up.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla