Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Can I use a Hornady taper crimp die for bulge buster?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Can I use a Hornady taper crimp die for bulge buster?

The only 10mm die set I could find in stock at Cabelas that day was Hornady. I really wanted the lee set because I did some reading about using the lee factory crimp die as a bulge buster. Can I disassemble the Hornady taper crimp die that came with my kit and use it to remove the bulge like the Lee? Figure I can use my lee sizer kit parts that I use on my cast boolits for the operation to push brass up into the Hornady taper crimp die and the plastic can to catch the brass afterwards. Or do I need to buy a lee factory crimp taper die separately for bulge busting?
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-24-2022 at 08:32 AM.

The taper crimp is not removable from the die, so you will crush a case if you try push it through.

If you have a bulge problem, rather buy the right thing - get a Lee bulge buster kit for 10mm.

Thanks for the reply. Would assume I can get away with just using a lee factory crimp taper die (not the collet crimp die) since I have several lee pushers from my other lee sizer dies I can push my brass through with.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 04-24-2022 at 09:02 AM.

I just ordered the lee factory crimp carbide die to try. It was $24 shipped off ebay. Guess I'll find out if I can use my other components with it.

Boolit Master

Do you need the bulge buster? Do your sized cases fit your chamber, not a case gauge, but your chamber.

I know there are special applications where such are necessary, but there are a lot of "tools" out there that get marketed as a "gotta have" that are not really necessary.

Before I spent money on one, Id be sure that I needed one.

I had to buy a bulge buster for 9mm to feed my Springfield Ronin. The Ronin chamer was about 0.002" tighter than my Glock and S&W chambers. Final solution was to sell the Ronin. All my reloaded ammo fit those chambers just fine.

If you are using new brass for one firearm and then subsequently reloading, i seriously doubt you will benefit from a bulge buster.

I was given a bunch of range brass so I figured some need to be ran though it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Would assume I can get away with just using a lee factory crimp taper die (not the collet crimp die) since I have several lee pushers from my other lee sizer dies I can push my brass through with.
    That should work, the bulge buster kit contains a factory crimp die and some other extras.

Boolit Master

I understand and it might benefit you in this case, but odds are if you are shooting a Glock or even a KKM barrel in a Glock, it will chamber just fine.

I have ran range brass from an MP5 and other brass as range pickups (unknown) and it all chambers in my Glock model 40 factory barrel and my KKM barrel for the Model 40. I havent found one yet that wouldn't "plunk".

Yeah, I probably wasted the extra $25 on the lee die to toss in with my Hornady die set but if I ever run into a non chambering round issue I’ll be covered. I will end up running though all the range brass pick ups through the lee die when it arrives. I inspected 9 out of the 10 rounds I fired in my pistol with new brass and had no visible bulging. I plan on removing my barrel to do the plunk test with the rounds I load up to make sure they chamber. I forgot to buy a #27 RCBS shell holder so I’m waiting for Amazon prime to drop it off tomorrow. Eventually I’ll have to get a 10mm checker.

Boolit Bub
    I got a (Redding carbide G-RX push thru 40 s&w die) for my 40's and I see that (below) it works for 10mm and 357sig which I have but not used on them yet! Thanks for bringing this up!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012470452/
    https://www.brassworldeshop.com/orig...igand10mm.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by cobia View Post
    I got a (Redding carbide G-RX push thru 40 s&w die) for my 40's and I see that (below) it works for 10mm and 357sig which I have but not used on them yet! Thanks for bringing this up!

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012470452/
    https://www.brassworldeshop.com/orig...igand10mm.aspx

My lee die was $24 shipped off eBay. I’m going to use one of my lee sizer kits to push the brass through the die. The Redding I would have liked but it wasn’t in the budget.

Boolit Buddy

Have been questioning WHY do they push the brass on mouth first. I would think would be easier to push thru rim first. GW

Apparently the mouth is the weakest point and will crush or distort if sized upside down from what I’ve been told.

Boolit Master
    I was given a bunch of range brass so I figured some need to be ran though it.
    If range brass needs a bulge buster - I’d scrap that brass. Too much risk for too little reward.
    My Hornady die set for .357SIG was not able to deal with the bulge from rounds shot through a Sig P320. I got the Redding tool and all is well. Then again, some guns allow for more of a bulge than the P320.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Buddy

Apparently the mouth is the weakest point and will crush or distort if sized upside down from what I’ve been told.
    I was thinking more about a longer push rod with a rounded tip that presses on the inside web of the rim GW

Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    If range brass needs a bulge buster - I’d scrap that brass. Too much risk for too little reward.
    My Hornady die set for .357SIG was not able to deal with the bulge from rounds shot through a Sig P320. I got the Redding tool and all is well. Then again, some guns allow for more of a bulge than the P320.
    I did toss out 2 cases with what the Internet refers to as a smile. I haven’t FL sized the rest of my brass yet to see if it all chambers. I had a couple pieces of 9mm range brass that wouldn't chamber last year. I ran them up through my lee carbide sizer die as per directions and they all chambered and cycled flawlessly. They also were extremely accurate. Guess you have to use your own common sense on what is an unsafe buldge/smile in brass vs just a case that is a hair over Sami spec diameter.