MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Millennial math

Banned
    I have to agree its not just a single generation . I sold my house trailer a couple weeks ago , this afternoon I was taking the last couple boxes of stuff from the garage and sweeping the floor when the new owners showed up . Nice enough people .

The husband mentioned how happy he was that mortgage company let them finance more then the appraised value , it let them roll both their car payments into it and is going to save them money because the interest is only 6.3% vs the 9% they was paying .

I couldn't help myself , I asked how 6.3 over 30 years was cheaper then 9 over 5 years because the math doesn't add up in my head .

I didn't stick around for an answer .

Boolit Master

"If" they send the money that would have went to both car payments "AND" THE HOUSE payment in for the next 5 years..then..yes..they could save a few %... But as you imply... They likely won't... And just got 30yr car loans....

Boolit Master
    If house price inflation really takes off over the next 10 or so years,then the house will be near enough free.

I'm an accountant. If you tell me you want 2 + 2 to equal 3.7654, you got it.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I was at the bagel shop and asked for a half pound of cream cheese along with the bagels. The reply? "...I'm sorry sir....all we have are the 8 ounce sizes".
    Kill me now.
    Not too long I was at the grocery store buying Friday donuts for the team and when asked by the cashier how many and I said four dozen. She had a confused look on her face so I told her again… She started using her fingers to try to count them before I finally realized she didn’t understand how to multiply, 4×12, or didn’t understand how many is in a dozen. I finally told her 48 after several tries as I could not comprehend someone not understanding that 4 dozen is 48.

Bless her little heart…
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 04-30-2022 at 06:18 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    I've amazed store clerks when figuring sales tax. Ours is 6.25% I multiply times 6 cents on the dollar and add a couples pennies dor the odd .25% and usually within 2 or 3 cents kids are amazed that U can do it in my head. You should see the looks when I convert Km to mph and convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. They don't teach kids usefull everyday stuff now 2nd grade I learned how to make change for a dollar,simple machines lever/fulcrum,inclined plane etc, look both ways before crossing the street.
    Yeah, but 2nd graders today know how to put a condom on a banana.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Krumhunger View Post
    Yeah, but 2nd graders today know how to put a condom on a banana.
    LMAO, sad but true…
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master
    Today's "educated" youth are much more ignorant than they used to be, not because the kids are dummer but because current professional educators are much dummer. But the kids think they are smarter than ever because their teachers have always told them how smart they are. Gag.

My late father had to quit school after grade 8 and go to work for a salary in the Great Depression; he was a smart guy who could do math or read a book and understand what it was about.

Now ... some of my grandkids were homeschooled and, by today's standards, they are over educated and can actually think and carry on an intelligent conversation; I love it. But, those who have attended government schools are as immature and ignorant as their mind numbed peers; it makes me want to cry for them because I love them and they deserve better.

American colleges & universities should be forced to pay back any kid who ever paid them a dime for a so-called education of "studies" (i.e., costly but useless studies such as snowflake women, queers, blacks, comic books, movies, modern art, ect.).

Boolit Master
    part of the problem with education system these days might be they teach what to think, like regurgitating information on a test, but they dont teach people how to think. if that makes any sense.
    and those financial things. I dont think any school k-12 teaches anyone how to keep a budget. and something none of our politicians have learned that you can't spend more than you earn.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    part of the problem with education system these days might be they teach what to think, like regurgitating information on a test, but they dont teach people how to think. if that makes any sense.
    and those financial things. I dont think any school k-12 teaches anyone how to keep a budget. and something none of our politicians have learned that you can't spend more than you earn.
    Agreed and when you consider that the vast majority of educators are liberal, teaching critical thinking is not ideologically an intelligent approach. Consider the gov't loans for college; a concocted plan to create and buy more liberal voters and it is working.

Boolit Master
    I had to work out redneck1's numbers on my fingers and toes.
    Likely the bank got the new homeowner an affordable single monthly payment.

My dad taught me the rule of 72
    Fingers and toes you can figure out what a payment will be.
    The rule of 72 states divide 72 by the interest rate to get the doubling rate.
    It's an approximation but close enough.

Example: 18% interest doubles every 4 years
    Borrow a dollar, in four years pay back two dollars.

7% doubles in ten years, so a 20 year mortgage doubles twice
    Borrow a dollar pay back three in 240 payments.

The optimist had a 5 year car loan? At 9%
    72 by 9 is eight year doubling period.
    Pay back 1car + 5\8car (principle+interest) in 60 payments. $1000 a month or so.
    72 divided by 6.3 is close to 11 years this is a close approximation after all
    So a 30 year loan would double three times ... 30\11 is kinda 3
    (1 dollar borrowed + 3 dollars interest)\360
    house and cars $1200 a month, or a bit more.

So the bank got him into a house for an extra $200 a month.
    If this guy is a clever yankee, he will put the wife and kids to work, get a second job and make principle payments, and make 6.3% on his own money. Then he buys a boat, goes broke.

How do we teach the thumb-twiddlers that the bank is not your friend?
    Car loan=debtor
    Business loan=client
    Huge unsecured debt=partner

Boolit Master

Florida's Legislature and Governor this week passed and signed a bill into law that mandates the teaching of fundamental finances, bill paying, banking, balancing a checkbook, etc., prior to graduating from HS. The Libs are losing their minds over it.

Math is STILL a mandatory and ABSOLUTELY necessary study (evil for some) for Architecture, Chemistry, Engineering, Pharmacy, Physics, and a host of other degrees, without which, buildings and bridges would fall, cars and trucks would cease to run, medicines would kill rather than cure, man would never leave Earth to visit Space, and no one would make change from a dollar for coffee at the diner.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    Farmer, professional educators claim to be horrified at teaching kids anything by rote or memory. Instead, they have the audacity to claim they're already teaching kids to "think" for themselves!

Thus, learning hard to learn and use complicated things like the alphabet, reading and spelling, multiplication tables, rules of grammar, history and civics, the sciences, are outdated. All such things are now subjective to what each kid wants them to be! So, where to pee or if 2 + 2 = 3 or 4 or 5 (or even 22) becomes fine learning according to many lazy and very overpaid "public" (government stooges actually) school teachers.

Lazy kids usually get awarded the same grades as good students but not for what they've learned, they all get "A" because it's easy and our lazy modern teachers say they don't want to hurt the dumm kid's tender feelings and teachers just know each of the little beggers "tried really hard". (And, considering how little of anything many modern teachers know, the mind-numbed kids may be right!)

The learning our kids MUST be able to regurgitate, verbertiam, are the brainwashing social engineering programs "liberal" teachers demand they follow.

So, does all that make sense? Well, yea ... to brain dead, cocaine fried liberal educators who don't quite know what sex they will be tomorrow!

Boolit Master

You are obviously not in the education system my wife's been a teacher for over 30 years and the stuff that they are forced to teach is just atrocious they don't even get to teach their class material but a little bit most of the stuff their teaching is pushed by the state so make sure you think about that whenever you're blaming teachers at least at the elementary in high school level once you make it to College then yeah you got a lot of liberal bias from the instructors there the primary schools are stuck with whatever the state makes them do

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    farmbif - I think you hit the nail right on the head - today's educational system teaches kids HAT to think . . . not HOW to think . . . . and most of the teachers are now young enough to have been a product of the same system.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 05-01-2022 at 07:28 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

what is really odd is these same people do the same job everyday and dont learn it thru the repetitions even. Most older tradesman have the decimil equivelents in memory just from using them. I had them to the 64 ths in a few years.
    It appears not only didnt they learn but they dont want to learn

Boolit Master
    Our educational system is like our court system - it has faults but it's still the best in the world. I read what some have said about the younger generation and then I see what my son and daughter have accomplished. My daughter went to a super liberal school in RI, then got her masters degree in an ultra liberal Vermont school, and she's a staunch conservative who has done very well. She was not, and could not, be brainwashed. Same with her husband - super liberal family and education, but, again, a staunch conservative who has done well. My son, raised and educated in MA, went to college in ME, and just got out of the Air Force after 8 years (captain). His wife got her masters degree in England, and is doing very well. All of my kid's friends have also worked hard and have done, and are doing, very well.
    What's the common denominator in all of their lives? Attentive parents, not great schools. And it has nothing to do with wealth, or lack of it. Blame the schools? No. Blame the parents. And on the flip side, congratulate the parents of successful kids.
    Don't paint and condemn the millennials with a wide brush. There's lots of hard working, smart, considerate "youngsters" out there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    ... my wife's been a teacher for over 30 years and the stuff that they are forced to teach is just atrocious they don't even get to teach their class material but a little bit most of the stuff their teaching is pushed by the state so make sure ....
    Your wife has been in the "education" grinder for 30 years? Then she isn't in the generation of teachers I've grown to detest! In fact, I'd say she is/has long been a victim of the brainless, green haired, nose ringed loser's victims.

[
    ...you think about that whenever you're blaming teachers at least at the elementary in high school level once you make it to College then yeah you got a lot of liberal bias from the instructors there the primary schools are stuck with whatever the state makes them do
    And you make my point of where our education troubles lie. But, in my mind, the older, more intelligent teachers - like your wife - were too quite for much too long. They allowed the present loser generation to gain a deadly lock on teacher union political power so now they are too small a portion of the unions to be able to make any real difference.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Our educational system is like our court system - it has faults but it's still the best in the world.
    It's not even close to being the best in the world. Not by a long shot. It might have been at one time, but that was long ago. (Talking about the education system, not our justice system. That is still the best in the world)

Boolit Master
    OK, what's better? I'm not talking math scores, I'm talking about an overall, well rounded education. Sure, Indian and Chinese kids might score better on math tests, but where do they want to live? Here. In the U.S. Screw the math scores.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast