Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Got my first SD turkey

Boolit Grand Master

Got my first SD turkey

Don't let anyone tell you SD is a slam dunk, it is not. I have had one of the most challenging turkey seasons I've ever faced. I'm not sure if it just started or just ended.

Way back around Christmas I made my first turkey trip of the year, during our "fall" season, which begins in November, and ends January 31st. I took an entire week off from work to hunt the Black Hills. I went to an area I know there are turkeys, and then proceeded to drive hundreds of miles for days without laying eyes on one. I managed to find a few in one of the small town city limits. I hunted 1 mile out of city limits on some WIA land, and did not see any sign of turkey at all. On the last day I came around a corner on a dirt road, and wouldn't you know, there is a small flock of turkeys, and they are all big longbeards. I slammed on the brakes, got out of the car, and had a clear 60-70 yard shot at them, but I did not feel good with the handgun, and the rifle was in the back. After a couple seconds, they walked into the brush. I followed some tracks to a tree they had clearly roosted in before multiple times. I set up by it, and never saw anything. It wasn't all bad though, I got to see all but a couple of animals in the hills when I was there. I even got a chance to see a large herd of bighorn sheep, which I've talked to multiple people who lived in the hills for years and never saw one. I saw bison, elk, zillons of deer of course, tons of pronghorn. Basically all the big ones except mountain goat and cougar.

A couple weeks later I got one day off work. I work second shift, so that makes things interesting. Thursday night, midnight, I get off work, and hit the road. I just squeaked by one nasty ice storm. Sometime just before light, I come in close to where I found that roost tree. I set up near the tree, and never saw or heard anything. There was fresh snow, and I could see nothing had been back. I started hiking, managed to find a single set of old tracks. Saturday was no better. Sunday I randomly picked a very good looking spot. Again I saw nothing. This was a very strange day though. Picture this, end of January, in the mountains, and I'm out in a T shirt and I can hear Motorcycles blasting up the roads. It must have been 60 degrees out there that day. I packed up and went home. At home it was freezing cold.

I took a break for a few weeks after that. Once I got my edge back, I started scouting new spots. I got drawn for a tag in the NE part of the state. I made a few trips out, and noted likely spots. The NE part of the state (as well as SE ND, and west central MN) got hammered by snow like you would not believe. It has been years since I've seen that much snow. A lot of the best areas had snow you could not walk through without snow shoes 4' deep+, and the drifts were deeper yet. The turkey opener rolls around, and I hit target #1. It had been like another world out that way. Aberdeen has been reasonably warm, and the snow melted long ago. Then the turkey spot, less than 100 miles away, still had over a foot of crunchy snow. Worse, the weather was turning sour. It was quite cold, likely only 20 degree high. I did the best I could, covered many miles on foot, and never found turkey. Then Sunday things got worse. It started to downpour rain, yet I don't think it was over freezing. I had rain gear, but I got soaked to the bone. I sat in that until noon, and that was all I could take. That was one of the few days in my life I've been truly cold. This trip wasn't a waste though, since I located multiple turkey sign. Over the weekend I found a few foot prints, a few feathers, and a few locations with a ton of scratching.

As bad as that weather got, it was looking even worse later in the week. It rained or snowed there, probably both, every single day. Saturday was predicted even colder than the first weekend, and with snow. I decided to pull up, and see if I could get my dad on a turkey. It has been years since he has gone. On Friday night, midnight, I drove all the way to MN and got there around 4:30 am. We went to my old stompin grounds, and it was taken. I then checked my old plan B,C,D, and E. All taken. By this time the it was already starting to get light. I decided on a hail mary, and we set up in some woods that don't seem promising, but they seem to have a chance. Shortly after we hear yelping. I call back, and then I got a non-stop 5 minute+ barrage of yelp yelp yelp, cluck over and over like a recording. Someone else had walked into this little 5 acre chunk of woods and was calling to us. I don't know how they missed the truck parked there. It was fine though, there were no birds in there anyway. Sunday we did not even go out, since dad didn't want to go out in the cold again (this was day 5 for him).

This week looked ok back in SD at first. Then I started getting thunderstorm warnings. The forecast looked like a mistake it was so odd. Friday 40, Saturday 72 and severe thunderstorm, Sunday 32 and snow. Whatever was coming was going to be bad news. My plan was to get out Saturday morning, do what I could, then go home. As it turned out, Friday got hit by one bad last minute storm. When I got off work at midnight, I was checking for tornado warnings it was so nasty. The lightning out here is amazing. Unfortunately it was so bad I did not feel comfortable driving in it. At 1am it hadn't let up, it almost seemed worse, so I pulled the plug and went to bed. This morning it looked like nothing had happened. So I had some breakfast and drove out to my spot. Despite the forecast, there was no rain, it was blue sky. They were not wrong about the heat though. Remember, it has been 30's or 40's high for weeks now. Today I got to my spot about 2pm, and the thermometer said 71 degrees. I set up on a spot that had sign before, and it appeared to have fresh sign, possibly from the morning. The wind was howling, as it often is, so I couldn't hear anything. I just sat an cold called. Even sitting, I was sweating bad. Then all of a sudden the temp fell off the map. Over the course of an hour it went from 71 to around 48. Normally this would be bad, but it was about that time I heard yelping. Shortly after a hen came in to inspect the decoys. She walked of, and nothing followed. A short while later, another hen came from a different direction, and did not mind the decoys, but did not come in. Then it was an hour of nothing, and I was beginning to consider tomorrows game plan. Suddenly I heard a gobble, the first I've heard this year. A few minutes later I could see them. It wasn't just a tom. It wasn't just a flock. I could not count them all, but it was a minimum of 20 toms, and likely 30 hens. There were probably more I could not see. This was a plains super roost I've heard about. I've never witnessed anything like it. Once they got inside of 80 yards I could hear all the yelping and occasional gobble. It is a fantastic sight to behold. The wind was so bad, they could have been 100 yards away all day, and I never would have known. After doing my absolute best, I failed to get anything to care much about my calls, and there was no way they could see the decoys. The main problem is there is a creek down the center of a valley, and they were on the far side. All the hens seem to know where they wanted to go, and the toms just strutted along with them. It was getting later, and I figured they were heading to a roost. I knew the area. I made a split second decision to cut them off. Once I felt I was in the clear, I got up, leaving the decoys and chair, and then walked as fast as I could down the valley. Due to the terrain, I was able to cover a lot of ground that they could not. I popped in about 300 yards down, and slowly crept into a likely spot. Once set up, I called, and not long after two hens showed up. Eventually they saw me and bolted. After about 20 minutes I began to wonder if I had messed up. Not only the day, but I was worried I may have spooked 50 turkeys off a good roost on public land. I couldn't see how, as even a turkey couldn't have heard me 100 yards away in that crazy wind, and there was way too much brush to see me. It was now nearly dark, and looking at my phone, I had 1 minute of legal time left. Suddenly a gobble to my right. I did not move, and he came walking on in right by me. Once he was hidden by a tree, I raised the shotgun. He came out in the clear about 10 yards from me. I cocked the hammer, he stopped to look, and that was that.

The 1850's muzzleloader with #6 shot did it again. It should be no surprise though, since this could be the closest I have ever shot a tom. It isn't a monster, but an adult tom is an adult tom. His beard is a medicore 5 1/2" long. The real trophy is this is my first Rio Grande turkey. This is an area only Rio's were introduced, and as far as the N*** (the National Wild Turkey Federation is not a swear word) is concerned, this is pure Rio. The main differences I noticed is their gobbles are a little different. It could have been the wind, but they didn't seem super loud either. The other difference is the fan. The mid feathers on the fan have golden glowing tips. They look so cool, I wish they showed up in the picture. I'll post it side by side with an eastern fan on the wall. I'm as happy as can be. I sure hope the next one isn't this hard, I've had enough no-sleep-fridays for a while. It's crazy to think I just went through a severe thunderstorm, very hot 71 degrees, felt quite cold 40's, and then drove home in a sleet storm, all in a day.

Last edited by megasupermagnum; 04-24-2022 at 01:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Congrats!!! & A Great Story!

Moderator Emeritus

Aye congrats on the Tom and a good story.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow MSM… great story and awesome bird!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Congratulations! The ones that you have to work hard for make the longest lasting memories. I'm already seeing hens looking for nesting, so I think that ours were finished breeding as season started this year.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Congrats! My first black hills turkey was many years ago. I walked down our driveway, across a neighbor’s pasture and called in a nice Tom. I was 12.
    I scouted out a couple of roosting trees within a horseback or bicycle ride from our place and managed to get a spring and fall turkey nearly every season until I left home for college at Brookings and then the Navy.
    My uncle had a large ranch north of wall that held good turkeys that we would hunt, as well. Some hunting club from Rapid City locked up the deer hunting there, but not the turkeys back then.
    I sure miss hunting SD.
    Greg

We have a bumper crop (Turkeys) This year here in south Carolina, Its something to see 12-15 birds in a pasture. I do not do trophy and hate the taste. I admire your staying with the hunt!
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Congrats! Great story, too!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sweet! I drew first season. Toms are on everyone’s property accept for mine. Had 2 hens within spitting distance this week. Tomorrow is the last day of first season. I’m sure my tag will go unfilled at the rate I’m going. I bought 3rd,4th,5th, and 6th seasons left over tags… so hopefully the birds will eventually come onto my property.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice story and nice job getting one with the muzzleloader. That is also a goal of mine.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Nice story and nice job getting one with the muzzleloader. That is also a goal of mine.
    Don't be scared to try it. One secret of muzzleloading shotguns is that they can out perform a modern shotgun. The key word is "can", not will. A Knight TK2000 was my turkey gun for a long time. It took my first ever turkey, and many after that. It is only the last three years I've gone away from it. Two years ago I used a Pedersoli sxs, and the last two years, this original Lane 10 gauge sxs.

The Knight TK2000 is an amazing machine. With nothing but good shot, it will put up patterns as good as the fanciest buffered 12 gauge loads from really tight chokes. It is an honest 50 yard shotgun if you are willing to test, and take the recoil. I never did a lot of testing with buffer, but I imagine it could be even better yet. The downside of course is you only get a single shot. I've yet to need it, but I feel a lot better with a sxs having that second shot available. It isn't a big deal if your state allows handguns.

This particular Lane 10 gauge was built in the 1850's. At some point it was backbored (likely due to rust), and left with improved cylinder chokes in both barrels. That normally would not be much in a modern shotgun, but in a muzzleloader, they perform more like a modified, if not full choke. The load I used is 100gr Fg Goex, 120gr volume of #6 shot (between 1 1/2 and 1 5/8 oz). The wad were nothing but two hard cards under the shot, and one over. It will put 95 pellets inside a 10" circle at 35 yards. I haven't shot a ton of turkeys, since they are only a limit of 1 per season. I'd guess I've shot 12-15 of them. Of those, the longest shot I've taken yet has been around 30-35 yards, so there really is no disadvantage I've found. When a tom hangs up, it's 60-70 yards out, beyond what I think is a reasonable shot for lead. Now with TSS, maybe, but that's getting into the realm of too much of a good thing.

Boolit Grand Master

Here is my puny little Rio Grande in the middle of a couple whopper Eastern's. The one of the left is the first turkey I ever killed, a typical eastern longbeard, and the one on the right is the biggest I ever killed, an absolute monster with a beard that dragged on the ground. Both those eastern's were killed a couple hundred yards apart on the same property, although about 6 years apart. The far right is a dark chocolate brown all the way, including the fan tips. The left one is also very brown, but the tips are white/gold just like this Rio. You can see the Rio has that golden fan they are known for. Very cool looking bird.

Mega, I had the jinx on my back this year. I finally had a pair jakes walk in at 6:10am on season three. I got excited and pulled the trigger for the right barrel(spreader barrel) that doesn’t pattern worth the darn. Both birds just kept walking like nothing happened. Took me a few seconds to figure out what I did. I now leave that hammer uncocked when hunting. About three hours later I had a giant tom in and lock up on my DSD decoys about a 80 yards away. He stood there staring at them for 45 min and finally walked away. Fourth season I took my modern 10 gauge out with a red dot. Called in a dandy! Came in to about 18 yards between a bunch of small trees. I raised my gun when he was walking between the trees so I figured he wouldn’t bust me…nope! He turned and started walking away and stopped poking only the top 3” of head out from behind a tree at about 25 yards at max. I put the 5mm red dot on it it’s head completely covering on the only part of the bird I could see and pulled the trigger. It dropped, flopped, got up and flew across the valley! SERIOUSLY! I was about ready to call it a season. I took my beretta silver mallard out 5th and 6th season. I figured it was a quick throw up and shoot gun with just the bead and a light weight gun. I double tapped a coyote 5th season but never a bird. Went out two days ago. Got out there about 8:20am since the birds com of my neighbors field and back into my woods around 10am pretty consistent when all goes well. I heard my first gobble at 10:53am I worked that bird till it finally came within 20 yards at 5pm. Long, long, long day…but I got him! He was across the creek, across the road, in my other neighbor’s pasture. That bird gobbled every 30 seconds to 2 min for 6 hours till it finally came to me. Never shot a bird sixth season before and just glad I finally got one after all the time spent in and out of the woods the past month and a half.

The spur that wasn’t completely broke was just over 1.5” (the sharp tip was broke off it though) and it had one heck of a long skinny beard. Most of the Turkey beards in my woods are a good three times as thick at that length. Must have been a very old fighter. It also has some white striping in the middle of its fan feathers…grey hairs…lol. He looked just like the bird I knocked down and flew away 3rd season. If I had to guess it was him. Just wish I would have take the old SxS with me instead that day.

Those are some pretty fan feathers. I’ll have to get mine mounted up an send you a pic.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-28-2022 at 09:44 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

It was a real tough turkey season, that is for sure. I don't think I've talked to one person that had it easy this year. It's been such a crazy year, it's hard to stay on top of things. We went from extreme drought, to under water in a few months. Your area was a little more stable, but not by much. I feel like February was almost spring like, and April felt like winter. It pushed everything back it seems a month. Flowers are now just starting to come up good, trees are only now fully leafed, grass is only now growing fast. It's June 3rd, but everything is acting like May 3rd. Lots of birds nested like normal, but a whole lot also waited. I'm seeing a lot of goslings and ducklings, but at the same time I've had a few geese start a nest just last week in the back field.

I only know of two people who had good seasons. My cousins on their property and my buddy who lives hours away. He and his family got multiple birds for a total of 6! All on his property. I’m sure his quality turkey count went down for next year. Seemed like they would get a bird the same day and within 2 hours of entering the same field. Everyone else I talked to didn’t get birds.