Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need a LEE Factory Crimp Die

Moderator Emeritus

I am a big fan of the collect style Lee FCD for rifle and revolver cartridges...although I have since quit using them with my single shot rifle cartridges, I don't use any crimp at all for those.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    Note that the Lee FCD has two different versions. The original for the straight wall pistol cases is nothing more then a taper or roll crimp. But with a twist, there is a carbide ring located at the die opening that can/may also resize the case. Lots of debate on these as they can also resize the bullet. Some knock the carbide ring out to prevent this.

The second version was developed for use with rifle cartridges. This uses a collet that is squeezed down around the case mouth. This removes the bell (if there is one) along with giving decent bite to the bullet. Properly adjusted it can also crimp the case into a cannelure.

This type of FCD does not have the carbide resizing ring. Just the collet crimp ring.

Lee has since (recently?) released the collet type FCD for some pistol cartridges. IIRC, the .357 SIG got the first one. Which is also a bottle neck. But it is also available for the .45 COLT, which is straight. These again, don't have the carbide resizing ring.

45_Colt
    Your confusing the LEE Factory Crimp Die with the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die.
    Two completely different dies with very similar names.

AntiqueSledMan.

If you are belling your case mouth's and loading cast bullets, the Lee Factory Crimp die for rifles is very handy for tamping the belled case mouth back down, flat against the bullet. I like to use it just enough to ensure smooth feeding into the chamber. Neck tension should hold the bullet in place during recoil, but a little crimp down into the bullet’s crimp groove is good insurance against bullet setback.

I just bought one to add to my LEE 35Remington die set. The Lee Seating die has no built in crimp.

There are way too many people that reload without them, to say they are necessary or one needs them.

I don’t crimp 300 blk or 308 at all, for example.

I do use them for a number of rounds though, mostly pistol but 45-70 being one rifle round you also load as well as 9mm and 45 ACP but if they didn’t exist, that wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Your confusing the LEE Factory Crimp Die with the LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die.
    Two completely different dies with very similar names.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Not confused at all. They are both called a 'factory crimp die', are they not?

Read the various posts in this thread and my post will make sense.

45_Colt

P.S. and it is "You're"

Moderator Emeritus

Guys, Thank each of you for your input. I bit the boolit and ordered 3....one for 300, carbide for 9mm and carbide for 45 acp. If it turns out I dont need them then I am not out that much....but alas....a heart felt thank you for you guidance and suggestions. Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

"P.S. and it is "You're"

Hello 45_Colt,

Thanks for the spelling correction, guess it got past my auto spell.

The LEE Factory Crimp Die crimps the already seated bullet with a collet, which is pressed into the Die by the Shell Holder.

The LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die has a Taper Crimp in the Die which Seats and Crimps the Bullet,
    and a Carbide Ring in the Base which re-sizes the Case (and possibly the bullet) as it exits the Die.
    Not the same at all.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    "P.S. and it is "You're"

Hello 45_Colt,

Thanks for the spelling correction, guess it got past my auto spell.
    Naw, that was a grammar error, not a spelling error.

The LEE Factory Crimp Die crimps the already seated bullet with a collet, which is pressed into the Die by the Shell Holder.

The LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die has a Taper Crimp in the Die which Seats and Crimps the Bullet,
    and a Carbide Ring in the Base which re-sizes the Case (and possibly the bullet) as it exits the Die.
    Not the same at all.

AntiqueSledMan.
    None of the Lee FCDs are capable of seating a boolit. Not even the carbide versions. They are a crimp only die with the carbide versions also have a full length maximum dimension case sizer.

As far as applying a taper crimp, that is only done with cartridges for auto-loaders. Such as the .380 & .45 ACP.

Revolver cartridges such as the .45 Colt get a roll crimp die.

Then to further confuse the uninitiated, a collet style crimp die can be had for some pistol cartridges, such as the .357 SIG and .45 Colt. Yes, can get either style crimp die for the .45 Colt. And as with the rifle style crimp dies, there is no carbide sizing ring is these.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Guys, Thank each of you for your input. I bit the boolit and ordered 3....one for 300, carbide for 9mm and carbide for 45 acp. If it turns out I dont need them then I am not out that much....but alas....a heart felt thank you for you guidance and suggestions. Paul
    You're welcome. If you load cast boolits in either the 9 or the 45, you will like using these dies. I went to the separate crimping die when loading cast into the .45 ACP. Prior, when seating and removing the bell (crimping), it was common to get a small sliver of lead shaved from the boolit.

Fired enough times the case lengths shorten and then start to vary from case to case. This is no longer an issue with the FCD. Barrel leading was greatly reduced and accuracy improved.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    ... I get the feeling some use them like a crutch because they never really took the time to learn how to adjust seat/crimp dies properly.
    Nope.

With normal dies both roll and taper crimps will vary with case lengths and case lengths can't be adjusted out. Lee's collet crimpers adjusted correctly are largely insensitive to case length.

Boolit Bub
    all my reloading friends tend to like the FCD!