WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original RB No 1 Sporting Rifle - Doesn't Shoot

Boolit Buddy

Original RB No 1 Sporting Rifle - Doesn't Shoot

My RB No1 Sporting rifle does not group, it patterns at 50 yards and the pattern is an irregular 1-2 feet. I half suspected it might do that since I got it as a Christmas present for myself. Looking down the breech end of the barrel I saw shiny, sharp rifling as far as my aging eyes could focus...about 2/3 down the 30" barrel. Looking at the muzzle all I could see was the faintest image of the rifling. It was worn almost smooth 3-4" down the bore. Life, injury, and time kept me from shooting it till yesterday. Worst case scenario turned out to be true.

So now I have to find someone to rebore, reline, and rechamber it to shootable condition, or except that the bloody thing is a wall-hanger. The latter is very objectionable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_310.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	299439

This thing was beautifully restored to near pristine condition...except for the interior of the barrel. I want to shoot this rifle, with black powder of course.

Can anyone among the real rifle cranks here recommend someone who does reboring and relining work and is familiar with black powder cartridge guns? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

PS: It has all the original Remington barrel markings, including the chambering, 45-70. Re-barreling would destroy all that.

I wonder if just counter boring back past the worn area would make it shoot.
    It would be a lot cheaper than a complete rebore and lining job.

Boolit Master
    Have you slugged the barrel? Try from the breach first then from the muzzle first.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I wonder if just counter boring back past the worn area would make it shoot.
    It would be a lot cheaper than a complete rebore and lining job.
    I counterbored a repro sharps that was leading on some minor rust pitting near the muzzle - improved it? yes. the counterbore was a tad less than two inches - accuracy was half reasonable but there was still a tiny rust mark in there - took a jewellers loup to see it. Everything improved when I finally lopped the barrel and reset the front sight - took almost four inches off it. I wondered after if I had made the counterbore bigger maybe it worked better? Not suggesting you lop your original but I would say get it rebored/ relined properly and forget the counterbore - lots of talk on this forum of JES doing this work with good results and prices quoted seem entirely reasonable to me . Sounds to me like its worn from rod cleaning from the muzzle. OR its got gunked up over the years. slug it as others suggest might tell the story - if its tight at the muzzle I would go after it with steel wool and brasso from the breech end - tight as you can get it around an old copper bristle brush - spend a couple hours of elbow grease and see if you can unearth some rifling - might get lucky?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    My RB No1 Sporting rifle does not group, it patterns at 50 yards and the pattern is an irregular 1-2 feet. I half suspected it might do that since I got it as a Christmas present for myself. Looking down the breech end of the barrel I saw shiny, sharp rifling as far as my aging eyes could focus...about 2/3 down the 30" barrel. Looking at the muzzle all I could see was the faintest image of the rifling. It was worn almost smooth 3-4" down the bore. Life, injury, and time kept me from shooting it till yesterday. Worst case scenario turned out to be true.

So now I have to find someone to rebore, reline, and rechamber it to shootable condition, or except that the bloody thing is a wall-hanger. The latter is very objectionable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_310.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	299439

This thing was beautifully restored to near pristine condition...except for the interior of the barrel. I want to shoot this rifle, with black powder of course.

Can anyone among the real rifle cranks here recommend someone who does reboring and relining work and is familiar with black powder cartridge guns? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

PS: It has all the original Remington barrel markings, including the chambering, 45-70. Re-barreling would destroy all that.
    Bob Hoyt 2379 Mount Hope road Fairfield PA 17320 /Ph#717-642-6696 Call early in the morning ,done 8 or 9 for me ! Reline rebore just ask, fast/reasonable/and quite a master of anything with a barrel!/Ed

Boolit Master
    Maybe the rifling just need to have lead cleaned out of the grooves at the muzzle end.
    I would think if rifling lands were to wear down, the wear would start at the chamber lead end where the bullet is initially forced into the rifling lands.

Boolit Master
    Our very own John Taylor can do the reline job for you. I think he’s up and running now after his move.

He uses TJ’s liners. I drilled out a rusted and bulged Sharps-Borchardt military rifle barrel for a TJ’s liner in .45 caliber. Decided to treat myself to the modern 18” rifling twist, although TJ’s also supplies the more traditional 22” twist.

The barrel, after drilling, was a “thin candy shell,” but it retained all the original markings, holes, dovetails and front sight, and after the liner was soldered in, was back to being as solid as the original barrel and shootable as well. I chambered it in .45-70 and the only limit on its shooting precision are the barrel-mounted military sights.

Boolit Master
    Before you do any surgery, try different lead alloys and loads. I bought a 44-40 in similar shape (i.e., worn about 4” back from the muzzle due to sloppy cleaning) but I eventually discovered it would shoot 11-12 BHN boolits really well, as in one ragged hole at 50 yards.

You might also try some jacketed slugs for the same reason. It might surprise you.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes I have slugged the barrel. It was .458"-.459" depending on where I measured the slug and how well I could read my calipers that day. I was shooting .460" bullets. From the breech the slug was pretty tight until it got near the muzzle and then it slid out pretty easily, and that messed up the slug a bit, affecting the accuracy of the measurement. As it skidded the edges blurred.

Joe, I'm not part of the in-crowd on this forum. I don't have a clue who "JES" might be. Ramrod, John Taylor may be your very own but like the mythical JES, I don't know the man. (smile)

Edward, I will try to get a hold of Mr Hoyt this week and see what he has to say.

Thanks again to everyone.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

I would reline so you keep the original caliber to match the marking on the barrel. There is a section of Vendor Sponsors and I know John is listed there, I'm not sure if Jessie is.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes I have slugged the barrel. It was .458"-.459" depending on where I measured the slug and how well I could read my calipers that day. I was shooting .460" bullets. From the breech the slug was pretty tight until it got near the muzzle and then it slid out pretty easily, and that messed up the slug a bit, affecting the accuracy of the measurement. As it skidded the edges blurred.

Joe, I'm not part of the in-crowd on this forum. I don't have a clue who "JES" might be. Ramrod, John Taylor may be your very own but like the mythical JES, I don't know the man. (smile)

Edward, I will try to get a hold of Mr Hoyt this week and see what he has to say.

Thanks again to everyone.

Dave
    Dave.
    I dont have the specifics just read the fellers here - downunder we dont have access to the same people you do - all three smiths mentioned get good reviews and to me prices seem quite reasonable. John Taylor is active on this forum wont take much trouble to find him.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I would reline so you keep the original caliber to match the marking on the barrel. There is a section of Vendor Sponsors and I know John is listed there, I'm not sure if Jessie is.
    Seems like ever since I passed 70 years I'm getting dumber rather than smarter. Case in point. I just went through the "Vendor Sponsors" list 3-4 times. Didn't find any mention of barrel work of any kind. Getting old sucks hind tit.

Sorry to be a pain in the arss,
    Dave

Boolit Master
    I think this is where you'll want to go to find John Taylor. Everybody on the forum has good things to say about his work.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/mem...28-John-Taylor

Jesse Ocumpaugh can be found at
    http://35caliber.com/
    I don't know if he'll put a liner in a barrel, I know he can rebore them. He's a couple of hours north of me in Oregon, hopefully I'll get a Miroku 1886 to him this summer to get bored to 50 Alaskan. I've been threatening to do that for a couple of years, just never got around to it. Once again, everybody praises the work he does.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks again to all the helpful replies. I did find contact info for Mr Taylor over on CASCity.com, and I have been in touch with him. Now all I have to do is figure out how to package this heavy barreled action and ship it off. Looking forward to one day being able to shoot this RB No 1 Sporting Rifle.

Dave

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    I would go with the counterbore approach first. I have a .43 Spanish that did that and I wanted to use in deer season. When I found that the bullet would drop into the bore full length, I cut the barrel back to the front sight ,crowned with a countersink, and it was 2 or 3 inches at 50 yards. Wish I was set up to counterbore but the rifle wasn't worth a lot and it got the job done. A reline or new barrel may be overkill. John
    Last edited by 577450; 04-29-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Boolit Master

Linotype and bullet diameter as large as the chamber allows
    Gas check would help

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Linotype and bullet diameter as large as the chamber allows
    Gas check would help

Mike
    Neither of those ideas are acceptable (at least to me) for shooting black powder. I want to be able to shoot ammunition that is close to what this gun would have fired in the 1880s.

Dave

Boolit Master

Dave
    AH, more data, then shoot a SOFT bullet and let the black pump it up for a barrel seal.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Dave
    AH, more data, then shoot a SOFT bullet and let the black pump it up for a barrel seal.
    Mike
    Mike,

My bullets are 1-16 alloy, which is what I've read was the original alloy for the 45-70 cartridge.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast