Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking goose

Boolit Master

Cooking goose

Have never cooked goose but this fall am thinking about shooting a goose or 3. Need some good ways to fix it.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Be prepared because geese tend to be lean. More so than ducks, as well as not as much meat as you would expect. At least that’s been my experience.

Boolit Master
    I've never cooked goose but when I'm looking for new wild game recipes my go to place is https://www.themeateater.com/recipes/ingredients/goose

Boolit Bub
    Goose can be greasy. Use a roasting rack that will hold the meat up above the grease. Goose is more dark meat than white meat. Might drape some thinly sliced ham over the top to protect the meat. We used an X shaped roasting rack & the ham. It was excellent!
    Last edited by ~JM~; 04-23-2022 at 11:57 AM.

Boolit Master

had an aunt that would boil them in ginger ale.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Cut the breast meat out and toss the rest. It’s greasy if baked in the oven. Just slice the breast meat, pound it with a meat mallet, marinate it, and grill it. Don’t over cook it. It’s red meat and it taste pretty good if you don’t cook it in its own grease. Lots of recipes on the net and some videos also. Grilling is pretty popular in the south and catching on in the north.

Moderator Emeritus

One of my friends turns it into jerky...

I won't eat it LOL I hate goose with a passion after eating way to much of it growing up. 7 of us hunting x daily limit per person is a LOT of goose.

Had them smoked before and they were pretty good.

My goose is cooked, married 33 years.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    Have never cooked goose but this fall am thinking about shooting a goose or 3. Need some good ways to fix it.
    As a child we ate lots and lots of geese. Bion, my maternal grandmother's employ was stuffing bread down goose's throats, which made their liver's larger... hence, we regularly had lots of geese to eat. (Hey employ was in Czechoslovakia, and Husa (Czech for goose) was a more than a regular offering. All she did was wash and rewash the Husa, and liberally coat the inside with lots of salt; Cumin was liberally sprinkled on the outside. IMPORTANT (she voiced) was to always let the goose warm up to room temperature before roasting -- or, it would become "rubbery" -- us kids would tease, if so, that it got vulcanized (??) . Stuffing was made outboard, and if I correctly recall, several cut up apples were inserted into the goose. It was roasted in a covered goose pot (I still have hers) at quite a high temperature -- 365*F for about four hours -- breast down on a rack. After the first hour to 90 minutes of roasting she'd remove the pot and pour off grease into a Pyrex bowl. And, for the last 30 minutes of roasting, the lid would be removed. My sister hated the goose-cooking-smell which filled the apartment -- but, I adored it!
    Once done, the goose needs "rest" for fifteen to twenty minutes before carving. We always had it with bread dumplings and red cabbage.
    Enjoy!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I love roast farm raised goose. Wild geese can be good however most tend to be tough. Wild and domestic are very different as tablefare.

Normally shoot about 60 a year. I mostly breast them. I do take the thighs if they are not shot up. Most go into jerky but slow cooking in a crockpot works well. I also marinade breasts for 12 to 24 hours in soy sauce, bacon wrap and grill. That is my favorite cooking method.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

As stated by some, for wild geese, just breast 'em. Soak overnight in milk (whole).
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Man
    My wife's highest and best use for goose ( snow, whitefront or honker ) is a cassoulet, traditional french cooking. Pull the breast and legs, cube and pan sear,
    add white beans, pork sausage, carrots, potatoes, onion and spices, then simmer in the crock-pot all day long. Co-workers who never had game before in their lives would want to taste just because it smells so good when I bring it for lunch.

Boolit Buddy

Like MaryB said; the friend jerkies the goose. its the absolute best way to eat goose imho. get one of those jerky kits at an outdoor store and follow the directions. have at least 5 lbs of meat . you use your oven at its lowest temp. its great, like deer jerky with just a hint of poultry flavor.

Boolit Master
    When we had goose, we probably cooked on a slow cooker. I do remember the meat being a lot like roast beef, albeit a bit dry. I still enjoyed it

Boolit Master

We plucked the geese and baked them in a 350 oven for about 2 hours. Stuffed them with the Cajun Trinity, onions, celery and pepper. Also added cut up apples and seasoned with salt and pepper. Added about 2 good tablespoons of butter into the cavity. Wrapped in strips of bacon and wrapped in aluminum foil. Came out darn good. Dad was a big goose hunter and we always had some in the freezer. From time to time, I added a few myself.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Boolit Bub
    My brothers ex father in-law said to season, and put the goose in a paper bag. Roast in the oven. When done remove the goose from the bag, throw the goose away and eat the bag. LOL.

Best I've found is to cook it wet and slow. I finally convinced mom one year to do it like she would squirrels. Brown gravy Rouix and let it simmer until the meat falls off the bone. Like that it was awesome.

Roasted, wild ones are incredibly lean tend to be tough and stringy if roasted.

If I was going to do one now, I'd probably break it up and drop it into the instant pot for half an hour. Strip meat from bones and make up a batch of gravy of your preference. Serve over mashed taters or rice.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Man
    Cut an I shape in the front, breast them out and toss the rest, I have tried whole bird, legs, etc, not worth it, usually dried and tough. The breasts however are good many different ways, my favorite is chunk them spedie size, wrap with a strip of bacon, stick a toothpick through and grill

Boolit Master
    I live in the Indianapolis area which has a Canadian goose problem. I am outside of town limits and have a pond, have several trying to live on it so will only have to step on the porch with my .25-20 WCF Marlin or the .22 MARLIN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast