Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking goose

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    I brought home a speckled bell from a hunt years ago, Cleaned it and gave it to her to cook.
    About as tough and the same size as a NFL football, Never hunted geese again.

Boolit Master
    I understand and in spirit agree with the idea of picking them off with a rifle, but legally speaking, you don't want to do that.....the rules concerning taking them are governed by international treaty, and rifles aren't on the list of legal weapons.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    ?How about a smooth bore flintlock with a round ball, .45 cal.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
    ?How about a smooth bore flintlock with a round ball, .45 cal.
    As long as it's not a lead ball you should be GTO.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

My mother usually pressure cocked them till the meat fell off the bone, with no seasoning and fed them to her dog. Best way to serve in my opinion.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

My neighbor shoots a lot of geese on his private lake. They don't like them a whole lot, so he started giving some to us. They just breast them out. I started slicing each breast half in about six half-inch thick cutlets and blackening them using my venison seasoning. They turn out to be just as good as venison chops. They are a little tougher, but we work them over with a Jaccard tenderizer, and they have become a favorite. I take every one he'll give me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fourarmed View Post
    My neighbor shoots a lot of geese on his private lake. They don't like them a whole lot, so he started giving some to us. They just breast them out. I started slicing each breast half in about six half-inch thick cutlets and blackening them using my venison seasoning. They turn out to be just as good as venison chops. They are a little tougher, but we work them over with a Jaccard tenderizer, and they have become a favorite. I take every one he'll give me.
    I am going to have to give that a try.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

When I was a poor graduate student with a small family to feed and permission to goose hunt at a farm nearby, we ate a lot of goose. I usually cooked 1/4 of a breast (these were giant resident Canadas). Normally made a stir fry with lots of ginger, garlic, soy, hot stuff, vegetables, and made sure to NEVER overcook the goose or it would be tough tough tough. Very similar to lean beef if done that way. The legs and thighs I would cook for soup and it was always very good.

Since I was good at waterfowl hunting, we also ate a good number of ducks and those we might grill, wrap with bacon, or roast. One of my "inventions" was to take a fat duck which hadn't been shot up too bad, pluck the breast, and then filet both sides from the bone, making sure to keep the two sides connected by the skin and fat over the sternum. Essentially you would end up with two filets of duck breast and these could be wrapped with the skin and fat with whatever you wanted inside. I usually secured the cut with toothpicks but you could use butcher twine or sew it closed too. Roasted until the skin was crispy, you could then cut it crosswise like a mini roast surrounded with crispy duck fat. Green winged teal were especially good this way since they were always fat and small enough to cook quickly, and generally weren't too shot up.

It wasn't until later that I became proficient at deer hunting. The first deer I shot was quite the celebration at the home front, let me tell you. The wife liked it so much she started hunting and killed a few herself. Nowadays she doesn't bother, since hunting in Texas is pretty much point and shoot and I can manage that easily enough for what we need.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

I should add that the tame goose I've eaten is a totally different thing than wild geese. If you didn't see them both before cooking, you'd swear they weren't anything alike. Tame goose is delicious.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Cut the breast meat out and toss the rest. It’s greasy if baked in the oven. Just slice the breast meat, pound it with a meat mallet, marinate it, and grill it. Don’t over cook it. It’s red meat and it taste pretty good if you don’t cook it in its own grease. Lots of recipes on the net and some videos also. Grilling is pretty popular in the south and catching on in the north.
    Winner goose is great that way!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12