Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger American ranch rifle loads

Ruger American ranch rifle loads

Hi guys. I ordered a American ranch rifle in 300 Blackout and am having problems finding loads. Most all the loads i find are for gas guns. I would think there would be a lot more info on loads for a bolt gun. I have found a few. I'm looking for super loads not sub sonic. I want to take advantage of the caliber. I have H110 IMR4227 but there must be more lodes out there. I have a good supply of Alliant 2400. Unique and red dot. I have a Noe165 gr cast ranch dog mold and a lee 309 170 gr flat point mold and a 200 gr Lee spear pointed mold. I emailed Aliant powder and they gave me The speer web sight which helped a little. Have any one here have any luck using any other powders for a bolt gun?
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

All of my loading has been with 150 grain bullets fired from a Ruger American Ranch 300BLK.

I load with LilGun(17.2g/1975fps), 2400(14.5/1839fps), Reloader #7(18.5/1650fps), and HS-6(8.5/1365fps) for super sonic velocities.

And, I have used Clays(5.0), Red Dot(5.0), and Trail Boss(6.4) for sub-sonic velocities with a 150 grain bullet.

Rifle primers have been used with all of the supersonic loads, and FMJ bullets were used with the LiGun recipe. Berry Bullets 150 grain plated 30-30 bullets were used with all loads other than LilGun. The Berry Bullets became inaccurate above 1900fps.

LilGun (17.2g) is the best all around powder for my loads. Reloader 7 (18.5g)was the most accurate super sonic powder but was to dirty for me and could not produce enough velocity. Clays is the cleanest and most accurate subsonic load. ALL WITH A 150 Grain Bullet.

The HS-6 load (8.5 grains with a rifle primer) worked well as an all purpose target/practice load @1350fps.

As a final edit, I should say: “use all loads at your own risk.” I consider all of the SuperSonic loads, except for the Reloader7 load, to be maximum loads for each powder.
    Last edited by 1006; 04-27-2022 at 06:38 PM.

I think you can use about any powder in the bolt gun. I do not think anything slower burning than Reloader 7 is worth using.
    Last edited by 1006; 04-23-2022 at 08:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The American Ranch is one sweet carbine, I actually like it better than an AR.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Super loads are super loads, regardless of AR or bolt. SAAMI specs for chamber pressure are the same. Some loads might be over gassed in the AR, but the same loads/pressures apply.

You have a little more latitude to experiment in the slower and especially faster burn rate powders with the bolt gun, but thoae loads arent going to give you top velocities/performance anyway.

Thaks for the info. I appreciate it.

I have used Hornady and Lee dies. The Lee dies work the best for me. I had a lot of stuck cases in the Hornady sizing die.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post
    I have used Hornady and Lee dies. The Lee dies work the best for me. I had a lot of stuck cases in the Hornady sizing die.
    Interesting... The Lee dies I have couldent produce a strait complete cartridge for love or money (as in no matter what I tried, various ones had runout easily visible by eye when rolled) picking up Hornady dies instead solved all my issues,, especially with cast boolits.

Enjoy your bolt gun in 300 BO, just remember it is not a bear cartridge or even a big hog cartridge.

I use my split neck 223 processed brass, just cut the shoulder off just above the shoulder - body joint with a trim saw, run through a Hornady sizer, run through a case trimmer, trim to the trim length and chamfer in and out, prime, powder with 9.5g to 11g of H-110 (JD Jones Load) and a 230g cast powder coated cast, sized to the groove diameter, seat just off the lands. These run 1/2” in my 16” barrel with a can at about 1000 fps at my altitude of 247’. JD used all jacketed bullets. Just adjust the charge for your altitude, at location, for sub sonic.
    JD published his Whisper loads on the internet at the SSK Industries site. All of his developed loads were way under max pressure, so they would be sub sonic anywhere on earth, for the Seals, for whom he designed the cartridge to meet their specifications, change the barrel, use the same gun, mags and bolt, gives us a subsonic that is effective, more effective than the MP-5.…
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Not for bears or moose and such, but a deer a coyote and a lot of paper and pop cans works for me. a 300 black out sips powder so im good with that.

went out and shot my Ruger American to day. First impressions was not that great seems kind of cheap. My mosberg mvp had better fit and finish. After shooting it it shot every thing i loaded for it really good. I was impressed hope to shoot it tomorrow. I Loaded up another batch of test loads. I'm excited to try the Unique and bullseye loads and the 2400 loads. I saw a video of a guy shooting round balls through a 300 black out with 2 gr bullseye. I tried it just for fun and it worked. I made a neck expander die to .311 to expand the cases, took me about an hour to make it. its like a big 22 rifle when i shoot it fun stuff. I'm having fun playing with my new rifle.

Boolit Master
    I have one of these also and trying to figure out what to shoot out of it. Would any of you be willing to share your subsonic loads? Thank you all.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

All of my loading has been with 150 grain bullets fired from a Ruger American Ranch 300BLK.

And, I have used Clays(5.0), Red Dot(5.0), and Trail Boss(6.4) for sub-sonic velocities with a 150 grain bullet.

Berry Bullets 150 grain plated 30-30 bullets were used with all loads.

Clays is the cleanest and most accurate Subsonic load.

As a final edit, I should say: “use all loads at your own risk.”

Hodgdon has an extensive library of subsonic loads:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/?_g...891.1653933890

Boolit Master
    Thank you! I never even thought to check the Hodgdon site. I’ve got some Red Dot that I’ll try.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1006 View Post

Berry Bullets 150 grain plated 30-30 bullets were used with all loads.

Clays is the cleanest and most accurate Subsonic load.

As a final edit, I should say: “use all loads at your own risk.”

Hodgdon has an extensive library of subsonic loads:

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/?_g...891.1653933890
    You post that you are using "Berry's Bullets" which are plated bullets..
    Wondering if you have tried actual cast bullets?
    Hmmm?

Yes, I have used cast in several rifles. I bought the Berry Bullets when they were cheaper than any cast I could find. I started with 1000 for the 30-30 and already had them at the time I started with the 300BLK. Once I run out, I will re-evaluate the economics of this caliber.

I was just trying to be helpful with the load data, as it should give some basic insight to any type bullet of 150 grains.

Boolit Master
    My biggest gripe about the American is its lack of refinement, but with the price point, I'm not that upset. Action's kinda raspy, but it's nothing that won't get better with use. I've thought about going through the internals with some 2000grit or finer wet or dry, but it's not that important...I've taken 2 deer so far with it, and it is definitely minute of deer well beyond 150 yards. Oh yeah, mine's a 6.5 Grendel w/ a 22 inch barrel.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    Forgive the drift. I was focused on the American and not the blackout. My experience with the bo has been that most bullets will shoot with complications, but every rifle has its quirks! (I have an ar carbine, a manual ar pistol, and an H & R singleshot)
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience