RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Thinking of squirrels

Boolit Master
    I enjoy hunting and eating squirrels. In Pa. no centerfires for squirrels. Would love to use my 25-20, 32-20 or Bee with cast. I have 3 .22's that I use each season, a Kimber, Win 69A and a Remington 12.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quack1 View Post
    I enjoy hunting and eating squirrels. In Pa. no centerfires for squirrels. Would love to use my 25-20, 32-20 or Bee with cast. I have 3 .22's that I use each season, a Kimber, Win 69A and a Remington 12.

Bummer about the regs, but, at least you can use a CF rifle for autumn turkey season! Wish I could......
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    I cast .30 caliber plinkers that would also be good for squirrels with a Lee 311-93-1R mold intended for the .32 revolver. A long while back Dinny powder coated some for me and shot them over his crony and got the following results with Red Dot powder from .300 blackout Handirifle.
    3.0gr 1050fps,
    2.5gr 900fps
    2.0gr 760fps

I've haven't seen a squirrel since I moved out to a small town. Someone transplanted fox squirrels in the Portland area and they're all over the place there and considered and invasive species. We have silver-gray squirrels with a regulated season but I've only ever seen one.

Now if I were to hunt in town where I live, we have Asian doves all over the place and they are also an invasive species and one can take all they can with no season or bag limit...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master
    Centershot- shotgun only, spring and fall. Regs changed last year. The 25-20 and 32-20 with cast made great turkey guns.

Boolit Master

Centershot- shotgun only, spring and fall. Regs changed last year. The 25-20 and 32-20 with cast made great turkey guns.
    I'm sorry to hear that! I've spent some enjoyable times in Penn's Woods pursuing turkeys with my '06 loaded with cast 160 gr. RN. Bummer!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that! I've spent some enjoyable times in Penn's Woods pursuing turkeys with my '06 loaded with cast 160 gr. RN. Bummer!
    Not sure where you guys are located, but I know Maryland's Allegany, Garrett and Washington Counties allow CF for the fall turkey season October 29th to November 6th. All are south of Pittsburgh, roughly. It's a shame folks don't seem to understand that CF rifles can do a lot of things besides go 3000 fps with FMJs. Seems like that's why they like to outlaw them for game they're well-suited for. I've heard it said the 22 Hornet is a wonderful turkey rifle, but haven't gotten to try! Fortunately it keeps me practicing with my bow.

Well, this is big news to me! Did you know Mepps fishing lures will pay a bit and or trade lures for squirrel tails?
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    Nope! Cool program.

I found out yesterday that a 46 gr jfn Speer from the .218 Bee will take a squirrel head "clean off"at 80 yards. A fat one, she's what's for lunch tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6B9BDF9-3F76-421A-9670-CB4E9BDF9FDE.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	308320
    We’re predicted to have cold for us weather by the weekend so luckily I gathered some stew meat. Two males in rut and two females. It took two minutes to kill all four, Easy pickings for the 44-40 and I can now state for a fact that the round ball is less destructive than a 205 gr flat nose……

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    I hate squirrels, they eat fruit and nuts off my orchard trees and will chew domestic things causing damage.
    I see you are in Northwest Florida and so am I, please send that owl over my way:
    I've never had problems with squirrels. Other than they'll help themselves to a tomato or two. If they ever did cause trouble it would be Game On.

All I know there seem to be a lot of squirrels in government.

Boolit Buddy
    Red squirrels have been destructive pests at two cabins I have owned surrounded by mature white spruce forest here in Alaska. They are almost inedible and new recruits migrate in to take over from their deceased predecessors very quickly. I won’t shoot a firearm inside the rural subdivisions here and anyway don’t have time to lie in wait for the little beasts. Conibear 110s do a neat job, but checking and setting enough of them becomes a chore and there is always risk of marten by-catch out of season. At my old place we got a cat that became a skilled huntress, but at the new place I don’t have time for a cat. So I am turning all my spruce into firewood.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567