Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HT previously quenched boolits

Boolit Buddy

HT previously quenched boolits

Oh wise gatherers of galena, I need some advice. Also hopefully this is the right section. I have some previously cast, unsized 180gr HP silhouette boolits from straight COWW that I powdercoated and WQ with the intent of loading them into .308 for punching paper. I recently acquired a 16" 300blk that I'm itching to take out next weekend to smoke some wild hogs. Now my question is can/should I reheat these in the oven and allow to air cool or fire them as is? They will be pushed around 1800fps with a gas check at 100 yards or less and I am looking for maximum lethality as the area I hunt is not conducive to tracking. If you don't anchor them, they're most likely buzzard and coyote food. Before we get into the weeds, I understand shot placement is key but after the first round flies, the remainders are all but hip firing, so I want to dump as much energy as possible into the intended target.

Boolit Master

ETA: i didnt catch the 1800 fps goal. All still applies though.

I would just use them as is. If you are loading supersonic, there isn't going to be much if any difference in the pressures the boolits see between 308 and 300 blk.

If subsonic, then yes, you can heat and let them air cool to soften.

If supersonic is your goal, if you soften them, they may not handle the velocities you are looking for.

Gas checked? i am guessing.

Boolit Master
    Another "?" How long has it been since they were water dropped? Time softens them up quite a bit in 6-mo or so. I had some 50/50 that within a year they were dead soft to what they were before W/Q'd

Nope, just shoot them. I assume it's a 1:8 twist and it needs the harder alloy at that fps. It's a hog, don't worry about expansion.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Its been at least 6 months since quenched, if not longer. I don't have a velocity goal, more so devastation on target. Sounds good, I will load them as is.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Most silhouette bullets I know of are a poor design for hunting, you need a good big flat point. As far as heat treating, I found I can alter the hardness of bullets by heat treating at various temperatures to achieve a wide range of hardness.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Headshots = NO tracking!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy

We generally shoot 125gr SSTs out of .308s and they are explosive. Like if you hit any organ or bone, it’s going down. At least long enough to get a kill shot but I’m trying to get the guys onboard with cast boolits. Plus we shoot ALOT of hogs and ammo and them jacketed get expensive real fast when you’re shooting 100 rounds a week.

Boolit Grand Master

The problem I see is that to soften them you will have to get them up to 425-475 degrees F. I don't think under 400 is going to have any meaningful annealing effect on them. When oven heat treating you generally want to leave them in there about an hour to be certain they are up to temp. You can probably shorten that somewhat, but I don't think it is going to do anything good to your coating. I think you are going to destroy your coating, but you can try it on a few if you want.

It was mentioned that time softens them, however it is not 6 months. Age softening of quenched bullets takes years to make a big impact. TATV Canada has tested this on both quenched and air-cooled bullets. The quenched fully hardened in about a day, although they were quite hard immediately after casting. The air-cooled bullets slowly hardened over the course of 3 months. After a full year the hardness had barely changed on either of them. There is this myth that quenched bullets get hard then soften quickly until they are the same as air-cooled. For practical purposes this appears to be completely false. I've tested quenched bullets that were as much as 5 years old, and they are only down a few BHN, still double the hardness of air-cooled bullets. Not only that, quenched bullets over time remain more consistent in hardness than air-cooled. I'm not aware of any testing that has proven a quenched bullet will soften any meaningful amount in a timeframe that isn't absurd.

Boolit Buddy

Forgive me for being ignorant, I’m trying to fully understand the process as I only know what I do and generally I get acceptable results. So after I cast my boolits I then powder coat at 400 for 20 minutes and immediately drop into ice water when I pull them out. Would this not be long enough to consider heat treating? Would running a full hour have negative impacts on my coating? I’m not trying to be lazy, the smart man learns from others mistakes.

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Shoot them as they are !!
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Coopaloop86 View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, I’m trying to fully understand the process as I only know what I do and generally I get acceptable results. So after I cast my boolits I then powder coat at 400 for 20 minutes and immediately drop into ice water when I pull them out. Would this not be long enough to consider heat treating? Would running a full hour have negative impacts on my coating? I’m not trying to be lazy, the smart man learns from others mistakes.
    400 probably isn't hot enough to make a meaningful difference.

Moderator Emeritus

Super hard hollow points, untested in any medium, with the intent of showing to your buddies that this materiel will work for hogs? I would stick to jacketed this week and try your loads on 6 one gallon jugs. You should verify you get expansion rather than shearing off petals and that the penetration is adequate for you want.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    400 degrees for 30 minutes will increase 1-2 BHN with 1.5-2% antimony alloys. 415 for 30 minutes will increase 2-3 BHN with the same alloy. 400 degrees for 30 minutes will increase 2-3 BHN with wheel weights and 415 for 30 minutes will increase BHN by 3-4 for wheel weights.

I'm not sure if 20 minutes will give similar numbers, and I am pretty sure if you bake for an hour you will get more of an increase than 30 minutes bake time. I really like the 415 for 30 minutes with 2-2-96 because it air cools and expands down to 1300 fps, and water dropped it has controlled expansion and great penetration out to about 75 yards from my 357 rifle. I use water dropped for deer drives and woods hunting and air cooled if you can see far. The air cooled will mushroom out to 175 yards in the 357 rifle but expands too much and penetrates shallow up close. The water dropped will expand to about 55 caliber out to 75 yards, a wadcutter to 100, and no expansion past that.

I have tried baking 415 for an hour and the powder coat darkened and looked half burnt, so I only did that once.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I can remember the first and only time I went out hog hunting. Took four arrows (shooting 70 pounds) before I finally got a four blade Muzzy in between the rib cage on a huge hog. It kept running around looking like a porcupine with my expensive ACC arrows sticking out of its shoulder plates. Just go out and blast away and bust some bone with those hard boolits and make sure to post pics!!!

Boolit Buddy

That’s one of the reasons we use 125 SSTs. They penetrate and absolutely explode. You won’t get an exit but as long as you hit above the hoof, they’re at least going to stumble. When you’ve got 20 hogs running circles around you, you just gotta find your lead and start skeet shooting. I’ve only hunted one time with cast and it was several years ago when I first started dabbling in casting. Somehow I dropped a 160lb sow from 100 yards with a Lee 155gr out of my SKS. That was an awesome feeling.

I leave my PC bullets baking for an hour above 400F, then into ice water. The molecules move around at that temp to form a better crystalline structure that adds hardness and strength. Then immediate cold freezes the structure. Rate of atom movement in a solid is proportional to temp. Not much movement at room temp. Softening is very slow, likely years. The rate of cooling determines the molecular structure. As it cools, various CHANGING structures are formed. Rapid cooling forces the 'better' structures to remain. Converse is true.
    I use Smokes red and black coating, longer time doesn't have an effect. Higher than 450F and the coating starts to split. HiTek didn't work well at long time and higher temp, got dark and rough texture that scraped off during sizing.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

That’s one of the reasons we use 125 SSTs. They penetrate and absolutely explode. You won’t get an exit but as long as you hit above the hoof, they’re at least going to stumble. When you’ve got 20 hogs running circles around you, you just gotta find your lead and start skeet shooting. I’ve only hunted one time with cast and it was several years ago when I first started dabbling in casting. Somehow I dropped a 160lb sow from 100 yards with a Lee 155gr out of my SKS. That was an awesome feeling.
    Any reason you don't use a shotgun?

Boolit Buddy

The thought has crossed my mind but the main factor is that we generally shoot them under the feeder and I don't want to tear it up and on occasion you can get shots up to 150 yards. Plus I really enjoy trying new projectiles out. They're a nuisance to be eradicated so I don't feel bad if one gets away. Plus they're delicious and cheaper than ballistic gel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast