WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of squirrels

And the little round ball will take corn fed "Tree Pigs" as well.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Just finished reading "Cogan's Woods", perfectly delightful nostalgic book on squirrel hunting. Just sayin'.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Va opens for squirrels this coming weekend, Grey's and Fox's here in the Shenandoah Valley. I'm thinking on taking my Mark4 Ruger , I need to shoot my Cherokee to make sure either it or myself is dialed in

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

I carried the 44-40 Topper down to the feeder tonight with a flashlight. Three shots, three fat raccoons with the .433" round ball squirrel loads. The Burris FF3 sight is wonderful.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall623 View Post
    Va opens for squirrels this coming weekend, Grey's and Fox's here in the Shenandoah Valley. I'm thinking on taking my Mark4 Ruger , I need to shoot my Cherokee to make sure either it or myself is dialed in
    Squirrels open this weekend in Maryland too. I like to still hunt them: 22 Hornet, head shots only with a 4x Weaver scope, usually at 20-40 yds. Last season I wandered all over a 1000-acre hunting area until I learned where they like to be. This season I'm looking forward to tracking them down again, this time with an MP 227-640, plain base, 39 grain bullet. Should be a great squirrel round in the Hornet.

Boolit Master

Squirrel opened today 9/1 in NH along with bear, racoon, red and grey fox, skunk and opossum.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by openbook View Post
    Squirrels open this weekend in Maryland too. I like to still hunt them: 22 Hornet, head shots only with a 4x Weaver scope, usually at 20-40 yds. Last season I wandered all over a 1000-acre hunting area until I learned where they like to be. This season I'm looking forward to tracking them down again, this time with an MP 227-640, plain base, 39 grain bullet. Should be a great squirrel round in the Hornet.
    I picked up an 1885 Low Wall in 22 K Hornet. I haven’t experimented a whole lot with it yet, and the few experiments I have tried have been disappointing with this bullet. (In my defense, I became distracted by 000 in 357, which has done great for me).

I don’t want to hijack this thread. Could I convince you to start a thread and post your load data & technique for this combo?

Boolit Master
    My Rossi 357 likes long-seated wadcutters over 3.8 grains of Unique. I hate that big front bead, however. Makes it hard to get a really fine sight picture.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rook4.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	303847

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckJaxFL View Post
    I picked up an 1885 Low Wall in 22 K Hornet. I haven’t experimented a whole lot with it yet, and the few experiments I have tried have been disappointing with this bullet. (In my defense, I became distracted by 000 in 357, which has done great for me).

I don’t want to hijack this thread. Could I convince you to start a thread and post your load data & technique for this combo?
    I'm actually still a pretty new caster and I couldn't claim to have a "best" load for any combo, just what has worked for me. As regards the PB 227-640 boolit, I have that mold in the mail and am eager to work up a load for it with Red Dot or Unique. I may even try IMR-4227 with some heat-treated WWs to see if I can go up above 2200... but I'll let us get back to squirrels. Hope you can find some good data from a more experienced source ChuckJax!

Boolit Master
    You want a chalenge try an .177 air rifle?? My buddys dad was an electric engerneer, something in airo space, he would put out a strip of tin on the railing and a metal tray with penuts and a phone generator> squirrels would almost go into orbit?? He had one male dog that would pee on his prize azelias, he wrapped the azelias in fine cpooer wire and wet the ground bt the flowers> the dog came to pee, he hit the switch, last seen, dog was going over the hill, spread eagle on the pavement.. Never herd if the dog came back?? Squirrels did>>

As long as you throw the word Squirrel in- it's not thread drift!
    Soon I'll be working on 30-06 round ball loads to complete the trifecta.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    As long as you throw the word Squirrel in- it's not thread drift!
    Soon I'll be working on 30-06 round ball loads to complete the trifecta.

The .30-06 makes a great squirrel and varmint gun.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    There were several, my favorite was the 580/581/582 that looked like little 788s.
    Yes, those were excellent rifles, I've owned a couple of each over the years. My favorite is the 580 single shot version. I've got a thing for single shot .22 bolt guns!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

5grs of Red Dot with a .310" rb and a Remington large pistol primer make up the 30-06 load. To be tried soon. Surplus brass with a TW 54 headstamp have Very Tight primer pockets even after chamfer- weird. I had to break out a Lee Ram Prime to seat the primers.

Years ago I had a #4 Lee Enfield and one cartridge case. It was a Berdan primed one so I drilled it out for shotgun primers. A BB cap case on a wire was the powder measure, I used Bullseye powder and a .315" ball to kill an enormous number of rabbits. Usually one or two a day for more than a year. That sure helped out my food budget.

And to stay on topic, I got a squirrel yesterday with my Stevens 94 loaded with black powder and #4 shot. Cooked him in the instant pot and am going to make squirrel hash for dinner tonight. There are still a lot of leaves on the trees so I'm looking forward to those clearing out so I can see the squirrels better.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG954504.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	304984 grandson got 3 Saturday, 410 double barrel.

Boolit Buddy
    Very cool, Badwolf! Congratulations to you and your grandson! Those are good times!

John

Boolit Master
    you want a challenge use an air rifle? .177 out at 25 yds?? no one will came you are shooting deer with that.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by badwolf View Post
    grandson got 3 Saturday, 410 double barrel.
    attaboy

Boolit Grand Master

I know for sure a Sheridan Blue Streak (.177) pumped with 7 strokes will zip-zap any tree rat at 25 yards. Ours has the receiver sight and is deadly accurate at 25 yards.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast