MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Waiting (Impatiently) for My Cylinder

Waiting (Impatiently) for My Cylinder

I sent my 460 XVR to “Doug Guy” to “tune-up” my cylinder! It really wasn’t bad, but I did get a flyer” with each cylinder fired! Not sure if the work will help, as it could easily be the shooter…..but, it certainly can’t hurt!

For the small expense, it gives me piece of mind! Looking forward to a little test session! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master
    he did 11 of mine all at the same time ....doug guy ...live long and prosper!

Mine should be there too. I am anxious to be able to chamber my new NOE 153 grain wfn boolets in my .38 Special! He did my .45 Colt Blackhawk 3 years ago. I am sure it shoots better than I can hold. hc18flyer

He does outstanding work. I have had 3 or 4 revolvers with the chamber throats smaller than the groove diameter. All of them shoot great now.

His turn-around time is impressive. The worn-out wagon team the usps uses...not so much!

Banner Sponsor

I sent my Taurus 454 cylinder to him. He measured it, said it was perfect and sent it back.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Mine should be there too. I am anxious to be able to chamber my new NOE 153 grain wfn boolets in my .38 Special! He did my .45 Colt Blackhawk 3 years ago. I am sure it shoots better than I can hold. hc18flyer
    Hah this cylinder was SO leaded up, I spun up a copper 50 caliber bore brush in it and all it did was shine the lead! I dislike having to dig lead out of a cylinder with the Sunnen hone, it loads up the stones really bad and I have to stop numerous times and dig the lead off the abrasive. For grins this one would take a .356" pin in two holes and .3555" in the others, time I got the lead out and was ready to hone the throats, they all took a .358" pin no problem.. Subtract .3555" from .358" that's how much lead was in the throats.

memtb: Sent you a PM in reply, still waiting..
    Last edited by DougGuy; 04-24-2022 at 05:59 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    "Patience is a Virtue."

"Quality work should never be rushed."

"The rewards of quality work will be appreciated long after the wait for it has been forgotten."

All comments made by intelligent people I've known over the years.

Boolit Master

Food for thought.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

I was down his way last week Friday. Gave him a call, and he went over my 686 right there. Very accommodating.

Ouch! It was my .38 Special cylinder that was 'leaded up'. Trying to figure out why? Guess I will pay much closer attention ! Sorry Doug!

Oh, I not rushing him…..it just took me forever to make the decision to trust the mail system. Won’t sleep good till it’s back home! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by hc18flyer View Post
    Ouch! It was my .38 Special cylinder that was 'leaded up'. Trying to figure out why? Guess I will pay much closer attention ! Sorry Doug!
    Boolits too small? Could this possibly be a 357 cylinder? It LOOKED deeper in the chambers than a 38 Special would be.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

The only thing holding me back on more of my revolvers is fear of disassembly of the double-actions.

Boolit Master
    "The only thing holding me back on more of my revolvers is fear of disassembly of the double-actions."

Gee,, they make these things called "manuals" from the manufacturers,, or heck,, even Gun Digest has EXCELLENT books on firearm assembly & disassembly.

SERIOUSLY,, most revolvers are NOT hard to do the simple disassembly of, and the cylinder removal isn't an issue.

So as an old, dearly departed good friend used to say a lot "RTFM!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorite View Post
    The only thing holding me back on more of my revolvers is fear of disassembly of the double-actions.
    Tell you what, taking apart a Ruger single action and getting it back together is an art form. I sent Doug my hammer along with the cyclinder.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Buddy

Curious. What does Doug Guy do to a Ruger hammer. Not being smart, he's only worked on auto barrels to fix chamber problems for me. GW

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    Curious. What does Doug Guy do to a Ruger hammer. Not being smart, he's only worked on auto barrels to fix chamber problems for me. GW
    I reduce the height of the hammer pad by a given amount. The top of the trigger is the sear, it has to travel the width of the hammer hook before it comes out from under the hammer hook, this is usually a gritty amount of "take up" that the trigger travels, when I lower the height of the pad, the sear travels less before the hammer falls. I don't alter, polish, or change the angle of or the amount of the engagement, so you still have a safe crisp trigger, it just travels less before the gun fires.

This reduction in travel coupled with a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring makes it very easy to hold the sights in perfect alignment, and hold the sight picture motionless while the hammer falls. THIS, is the single most important part of firing any handgun, but most critically, a single action revolver because of the long lock time while the hammer falls. When you can hold this perfectly still in dry fire, and you replicate your grip and trigger finger movement in live fire, groups will shrink a LOT. The Wolff spring and the hammer pad modification make this a snap.

I have been doing this by hand for years, but just this month put a new round column mill in the shop and now it's done on the mill which has a LOT more precise control than a file and oil stone. Labor for this was increased per the investment in new tooling and much more precise machine work.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorite View Post
    Go to YouTube and search for your model, disassemble, reassemble, take down, etc, these are keywords that will find a video of someone taking one apart or re assembling one of the same or similar guns.

It’s home…..now I can sleep a bit better! Put it together this morning…..when I couldn’t sleep!

Thank You Doug! Looking forward to trying it out! memtb

“LETS GO BRANDON”