Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a camp

Boolit Bub

Making a camp

So a project of mine I would like to start work on is a camp site for the event of inclement weather.
    I live in western Kentucky and my home was spared in December 2021 when the tornado hit 10 miles away. It made me think what I would do if that night I lost my entire estate.

I have a "extra home place" due to the death of a family member last year and I am looking to the house and out buildings as a base start.

I have electricity, county water, a septic system, and a drilled well that I know nothing about.

What is everyone's thoughts on stocking the extra house for winter weather and other bad weather events?

Extra home is 20 miles from my back door
    Last edited by COUSIN DANIEL; 04-21-2022 at 11:48 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Interesting mental problem. To have a second, unoccupied house on "standby" would be thought of by many as a luxury, but if you have the house already, it might be worth making it a planned bug out destination.

If there is a natural disaster and your home loses power and is damaged, is the second place far enough away that it is unlikely to be affected by the same factors? Going from one place with no power to stay in another place without power is still a net sum loss. Travel is a consideration you need to plan for. If you outfit house #2 with emergency power, wouldn't it be more economical to do the same with your primary dwelling?

Will it be convenient for you to A) get to house #2 in a stressed situation and B) at least "stop by" regularly to insure that all is well with this unused home (subject to break-ins, vandalism, weather damage of it own, etc, etc)? Also, how about routine upkeep such as mowing the lawn, cleaning the gutters, trimming the shrubs? Finally, you will have an electric bill, heating (gas, oil, etc) and all the other annoying details of home ownership... not to mention Real Estate Tax.

I'm dealing with a second house of my own, and my plan is to get it in shape to sell and get rid of it. I'd rather strengthen my situation in my primary residence than have the responsibility of taking care of two. If I get a second place to keep, it will be a beach house or a mountain cabin, that is pretty much off the grid to the point where it can be shut up and ignored for long periods. These are my thoughts on the matter, YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    You don’t mention how far away the second place is situated. A tornado can obviously be a very devastating event but you are more likely to be affected by floods or winter ice storms, so a house 20 miles away might well be in the same weather situation.

If the second property isn’t in a recreational or vacation location that is appealing to you for everyday life, I’d probably sell it and put my energies into your primary home.

Boolit Grand Master

Carrying a house has significant costs. I wouldn’t keep one for "back up."

I’d sell and put the money into a place I would use some portion of the year. Even if only the occasional vacation.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Howdy neighbor. What you might consider is renting the other house. If a tornado takes your house, you can always make the tenants move, though not without a reasonable time for them to find other residence.

If it was a close friend or family that rented it, you could maybe bunk with them in instance of natural disaster.

Having a place to go during power outage is very temporary. So a weeks stay at a friend is not much to ask.

Boolit Grand Master
    You call it a camp site so I will assume it is remote. But what is remote to you is in the backyard of the locals.

To be an effective BOL, it needs to be stocked with stuff. It will be a attractive target for those who live nearby.
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I travel the road the house is located on a daily basis for work both mornings and evenings and I am certain to maintain a presence like plant gardens and cut grass as well as shooting trap on on monthly basis.

I am in the sentimental stage of grief I think and I hate to think about selling the house. I have left it the way my grandfather had it the day he died at 90 as a time capsule of before.... I am afraid to rent due to horror stories I have heard, mainly I just want the place left alone by people but METH and Oppiods are not cheap and they need Cooper wire and tubing. It's a up hill battle living in "God's Bible belt".

I am not a prepper, I just have a extra home that could be useful. With everything inflated at the moment I don't think 100,000 dollars from selling the extra home would help me. I am debt free and I own my home. In 2019 I paid 52500 for my home and it took everything I had to get it, a realtor reached out to me and indicated this home could be sold for 150,000... I am bright eye but where in the world would I even move with that money.

My idea was a home that burned coal/wood, had a few 55 gallon drums of water, 250 gallon propane tank which is existing, canned food, and the deep freeze of my garden vegetables, and a Honda generator and 30 gallons of gas.

This concept is flawed and I want you all to tear it to shreds of possible so I can make it better or abandon it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    You call it a camp site so I will assume it is remote. But what is remote to you is in the backyard of the locals.

To be an effective BOL, it needs to be stocked with stuff. It will be a attractive target for those who live nearby.
    The house is 20 miles from me, I get the locals backyard thing as thus home was broken into while my grandfather was sick.

After his death I hired a demo company to strip the property of all heavy equipment parts, scrap metal piles, trucks cars, trees, brush anywhere a person could hid and load a truck.

From the road all you see is a house , a 40x40 building, and a really tore up yard and acrage.

Boolit Master

Sounds like the house is 20 miles closer to where you work than your current home. Consider selling current and move to your Grandfather's home. Maybe it is on 10 acres and you are on 100, making it a non-desirable move. $150,000 from the sale of your place could fund lots of improvements and updates.

One place is more than enough for most people to take care of.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    One place is more than enough for most people to take care of.
    Amen to that, sometimes taking care of one place is too much.

Boolit Master
    It took us a couple decades to let my grandparents place go. Doesn’t sound like you need to hurry, so don’t. I’d probably install a diy alarm system with video so you know if things are going on up there. Keep the place fully stocked with mouse traps and treat it for termites.

Boolit Master

Pray on it and ask the Good Lord for guidance and discernment - It'll come clear to you. You are probably already doing that. Sometimes it takes time and talking to other good folks like the ones that are found here. I believe you are blessed with the extra property and memories of your Grandfather
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

unless you had neighbours to watch the "other" house, it will be broken into and ransacked by druggies.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Nobody can make this decision for you. The points noted above are all good considerations. Having too much, especially with today's volatile social factors, is trouble waiting to happen. I understand the sentimental attachments and they should not be dismissed. You seem to be sitting in the driver's seat as far as resources go. Changing your permanent residence to the grandfather's place might be an option with the sale of your current house. As for having a bug out location, I'd probably opt for a base structure with an outhouse & minimal sustenance items. Wouldn't store anything you couldn't afford to loose. Thieves & druggies are blight on this country.

Boolit Grand Master
    After doing more thinking and now knowing the place is only 20 miles from your current home I would probably fix up the old place and sell your current house. A lot depends on how much work it needs.

You do not need a "camp" when your home is your BOL. My home is my BOL. It has worked out well for me.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    After doing more thinking and now knowing the place is only 20 miles from your current home I would probably fix up the old place and sell your current house. A lot depends on how much work it needs.

You do not need a "camp" when your home is your BOL. My home is my BOL. It has worked out well for me.
    Double dittos!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    Not sure exactly where you are,,but I'd think about selling..Its a sellers market.
    There is a serious shortage of available propertys in western KY,, and a bunch of demand because of tornado losses.. And people with cash...
    My place outside Nortonville just went to contract, for well over asking price and at a level I would have never even imagined just a year ago..

Boolit Master
    An extra house is a money pit and a stress generator in my opinion. A camp or vacation property needs to be more than 20 miles away (again, in my opinion) or it just doesn't feel like I've gotten away from anything.
    If the extra house has or could have all the features you need, I agree with the guys who said sell yours and move into the other. You can honor your grandfather's wishes/memories and sleep soundly at night, having kept it in the family.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    For an emergency type place, I would recommend propane lights, refrigerator, freezer, cook stove, and heater.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When I lived remote in Alaska I always had at least one other building where I could find shelter if my principal cabin caught fire in the middle of winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast