RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: S&W EZ series ?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

S&W EZ series ?

My daughter brought her EZ 380 over the other day and I was very surprised at how EZ it is to rack the slide. My 22s are harder to rack.

My question is, how does this work? For most of my life I was taught and believed that the recoil spring was directly related to the load used and as the power went up, so did the weight of the spring. It appears that the EZ is a simple action, not something exotic like roller lock or something similar, and as light as the spring seems to be, I'm amazed that it can reliably strip a round from the magazine.

They are neat little guns and point quite well but I do believe if I ever bought one, which is highly unlikely given I'm a revolver guy, I would, if possible, pin the grip safety. I just don't like grip safeties.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    My wife has one and she loves it. It has an internal hammer which requires less force to rack than a striker. Nice gun and it really is easy to use.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    The 380 version is bigger than most other guns in this caliber, which makes it even more easy to rack. The 9mm version does require more effort.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

While the 9mm ez requires a bit more than a 380, I've never picked up and racked another semiautomatic slide easier. My 1911 RIA is the not far off, but the 1911 weighs twice as much and is way bigger. but no other plastic gun comes close. My old Walther ppx is a hammer fired, and it is pretty easy to rack, but is at least a couple of pounds more force required. If you can't rack an EZ slide, forget using a semiautomatic.
    My main issue is it is only 8 plus 1. Almost 9 plus 1, and they should have worked harder to make that work....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    My wife has the 380 EZ and loves it. She had a PPK/s and hated it, it was so hard to rack the slide. Sold that and bought the EZ. She liked it so much I bought myself a 9mm EZ for CC.

Boolit Master
    My wife started with a S&W Airweight .38. Great for carrying, not great for practice shooting. Then she got a Ruger LC9S - again, great carry gun, not so much shooting. Then the S&W EZ .380. Nice heft to the gun, easy slide work, even the magazine has tabs on the sides for easy loading. It's accurate and easy to shoot, so she practices much more, and it's a great concealed carry gun. I call it the Readers Digest Large Print gun.
    And, I now have an Airweight and a LC9S.

Moderator Emeritus

I got the EZ 380 for my gf to use. She could rack it but her hands are to small for her to shoot it comfortably. It fits perfectly in my front bottom pocket of my Duluth cargo pants and I wear it for doc appointments, etc. Nicely hidden and shoots very well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    and I wear it for doc appointments
    Where do you live that you carry into your doctor appointments? Might see about a doc with an office in a better part of town. W. Virg must be scarier than I imagined. It made me chuckle, if that is a pic of you in the avatar, it is like Santa carrying a gun, wish you safe travels wolf. Maybe the doc gives you better news when he knows you are carrying!
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Where do you live that you carry into your doctor appointments? Might see about a doc with an office in a better part of town. W. Virg must be scarier than I imagined. It made me chuckle, if that is a pic of you in the avatar, it is like Santa carrying a gun, wish you safe travels wolf. Maybe the doc gives you better news when he knows you are carrying!
    Yup me with my puppy taken about three or so years ago. We are in a rural area so doc appointments are combined with shopping, etc when going into towns. I carry everywhere I go. Had a guy I went to school with moved to one of the Carolina's. Retired and went to pick his wife up from work at the local Food Lion. Saw a crime and they killed him in his car. I carry everywhere as you never know. Good luck.
    Ron
    Edit. I know my one Lefty doc would probably have a heart attack I he knew I carried (my primary doc). His nurse knows I carry. He wears glasses, goggles, full face shield, and two masks. I wear my Trump 2020 mask when I have to. Drives him nuts.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    I also carry everywhere I go including the doctors, dentists, etc.. It's not the "where" I'm going that concerns me. I carry because, given the fact that criminals, miscreants, dirtbags and adversarial types also go to many of the same places and can be found during the going to and coming from the same places it is not wise (to me anyway) to think where I'm going will always be "safe".
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    I always carry. Like Larry indicated, it's not a where thing. Too many years being a ghetto cop has opened my eyes on human behavior. I don't broadcast it and I'm the first one to back out of a confrontation. It's just not worth it. That said, however, circumstances sometime don't care what I think or want. I'm nobody's punching bag and I just want to be left alone. If it comes to it, it comes to it. Surprise.........

Boolit Mold
    Fantastic little gun. A little biased had a family member in the S&W commercial when it came out..

Boolit Master

I’ve had one for several years now. Bought one for a daughter and another for me. Easily concealable, light, decent trigger and plenty accurate at SD ranges. They came with 2 mags, mini cleaning kits and a lockable TSA approved cases for $338.00 each OTD. If it’s ever held by LE for evidence, I’m not out a bundle.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I love my 380 EZ. I bought it for plinking originally but I carry it often - an easy carry OWB under a shirt tail or jacket. If I don't carry my mini Glock - it"s the EZ. I'm an "equal opportunity" kind go guy . . . . the 380 EZ isn't just for girls . . . .

Boolit Grand Master
    Light recoil springs, light magazine springs, and a fair amount of slide runup before the breechface hits the cartridge all go hand in hand. It is why “light” springs can work effectively….because there is time and room for the modest springs to obtain the needed acceleration to make everything work.

A classic example of when balance becomes imbalance and turns a reliable gun into a puking buzzard of a jammomatic is making extra short 1911s in 45 ACP. No slide runup; standard relatively weak magazine spring, heavier recoil spring and faster accelerating slide due to lower reciprocating weight.

Presto….a gun specifically designed to malfunction. And boy, does it.

Boolit Master
    i have a 9mm. I think S&W isn't advertising the best feature which is the ability to strip and clean the pistol without ever taking the safety off.