WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CCI 22 CB's

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    I am down hearted. I tried my CB equivalents and my shotgun can do tighter patterns!

On the bright side, I have a number of single shots that have never been fired - you can see where I am going with this ....

One single shot (the only one I have put through its paces) has produced a group one can only dream of so one never knows. If I can find a rifle that shoots them well and dedicate it to them, that would give me an excuse for keeping it. It would get a suppressor of course. But for now I have a new pursuit. So it's all fun.

I just had a look at what that rifle actually did.

And there were more than just that one. Heck, that's all I can get with my 510! Well anyway, we'll see what one of these can do with the Z's.
    I can see 4 distinct hits and room for several more.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Master
    Around 32 years ago we moved into the house we built. A month later a pair of stray dogs came into the yard to harass our Sheltie. She was so scared she ran into the garage and then into the house which was really odd for her. As I had heard and even saw the cause of this I decided to remedy the problem. By the time I got the .22 loaded with CCI CB (short length) rounds that pair of troublemakers had moved about 100 yards away. I held the rifle's sights high and with a slight lead ahead of the first dog and fired a single shot. It took a few seconds for the boolit to travel the distance but that dog gave a yelp and hobbled off favoring its left front leg. The pair went out of sight and all was calm. About 2-3 days later a neighbor told me a dead dog was found in the area where that pair had run. He described the dog and it was the one I had fired at. Just a lucky shot but more a statement of the power of these quieter and slower loads even at the 100 yard distance. The second dog didn't ever come around any more after that experience.

Boolit Master
    I hit a rat with a Colibri 20 grn thing at 10 yards and it’s reaction was it just swung around and laid low to the ground.
    The fallowing cci cb long poleaxed it with out much ado.
    May have lunged it instead but did not see a entrance wound.
    Didn’t lift my shirt or spin my wheels.
    They may do for up in the ceiling corners were you can’t quite reach.

Don’t tell me I might has missed.

OMG
    Due to the shortage of fast burning powders.
    I have reverted back to rimfire as a maybe able to still shoot all things with ,besides full blown 30 cal loads.

For the price of these I don’t play around with them much.
    The cci quiet are about 1" at 50 yards but shoot a lot better at about 35 yards.
    I always gathered the cb’s to be a 25 yard afair,
    How far do you shoot them?

I have tried the Remington cee-bees and all I can say is what a disappointment , you can have the rest of the box if you want to pick it up.

Haven’t seen z’eds in yonks
    If I remember they weren’t too bad either.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 06-22-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    thanks to a previous post here I went to cci web site and sure enough they have all sorts of 22 ammo in stock and shipped direct to you at the same prices every other reseller has posted. is it time to restock while these things are available? it sure is.
    as far as accuracy of those 22 quiets, ive been getting outstanding performance from them in an old marlin 39. consistently practice with them at at least 75 yards and took out a little pest of a critter at more than 125 yards not too long ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I do the same with an old Bronco single shot. Dropped countless hogs and deer (headshot only).
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    Ima think Ima have to try something like that with my 218 Bee. Maybe small rifle mag primers. Wonder if a guy oughta lube the pellets with allox or sum-thin??

My Crossman 22 cal pellets seem to measure around .222", so your idea for leaving the expander out would be necessary. Thanks for the idea. jd
    Most .22 pellets are really 5.5mm rather than 5.7 like bullet barrels. The ones used in larger airgun barrels are usually RWS Superdome or the largest head size H&N field target trophy. These are the most likely to be accurate in .22 bullet guns.

I use the CBs for cleaning critters out of my traps. The CBs are a bunch quieter than my pellet guns, used in a long barrel 22 rifle. I do not pick up live coons or possums.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Today I had fun using CB Longs at 10 feet from a Taurus PT22 tip up barrel pistol. They shot just a bit low but grouped well. Like a break action single shot- cool!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I tried some again in better light. This is fun!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    T/C Contender Carbine, special order barrel that's been with me for a little over 20 years.
    Can you tell us a bit about your special order barrel.

Boolit Master
    Nothing special actually. Ordered from T/C as a “short match chamber and barrel, 19” length. Same thing can be had from Bullberry or MGM I’d guess. Shoots one ragged hole at 25 yds and hovers around 1/2” at 50. Never shot it at longer distance. It has killed about 200 wild hogs, all with a single shot with one exception that required 2. 40-250#, at distances ranging from 10-38 yards. I used a Millett SP1 red dot for a long time but recently changed to a 2.5x Leupold. Best day I had with it was 5 hogs w/o taking a step. Boar an sow around 225# each and 3 shoats of about 40#. Quiet it is with CB shorts.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that run down Dan.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Walmart had a pile if them last year for $9.99 a box. I bought a half dozen. I wanted to try the ammo in my 6mm Flobert. They are still to powerful and blow the action open. I tried them in my 452 utralux, 552, Winchester 1904 boys rifle, and my anchutz wood chucker. Not the tightest grouping ammo by any means. Imo I can’t get an acceptable group in any of my rifles with them at 25 yards. I’ll stick with my old faithful Winchester 333’s thst shoot tight in all the rifles above. They seem a little louder than the 710 fps quiet ammo that’s about a 150 fps faster. The quiets won’t exit my ultralux but the CB shorts do.

I like 'em.

For me, with open sights on my Henry, they seem to hold about 2MOS(squirrel).
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    That’s about right for me to. About a 2” group at 25 yards with CBs vs a 5 shot group with 333’s at 50 yards that all go into a little hole the size of pencil eraser(like the diamond target in the above post). I always stick with 22lr ammo that will shoot a half inch group or better at 50 yards for hunting. MOSH…minute of squirrel head. Maybe someday I’ll eventually own a gun that likes the CBs.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-09-2022 at 09:23 PM.

I tried the Z's in a different rifle the other day and the results were better. Still not 25m accurate though. 15 would be useful. I thought that maybe one of my single shots with a small suppressor would be good for around the home should a possum make an appearance.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I think that the CB's are running out of poof at 40 yards. My deaf self could hear the bullets impact the cardboard.
    I hunt with high speed shorts and long rifle- I use the CBs for play.
    If I lived in town I'd only use CBs or Colibris.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Maybe someday I’ll eventually own a gun that likes the CBs.
    I think part of their problem is from making that long jump into the rifling when the chamber is really made for LRs.

Years ago, I knew an old WWII guy that had a Marlin 39 from the 1930s or so.
    It was pretty accurate with shorts, and that's all they'd ever shot in it because they were cheaper.
    The crud had built up so much neither a Long or LR would chamber in it.

Another life long friend had a antique Winchester pump he called a 'bicycle rifle'.
    It was chambered only just for .22 shorts, and was very accurate.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Ha, sounds like my old Remington I inherited from my great uncle. I'd love to know how many shorts he shot through that rifle. I have cleaned and cleaned and I've finally got it to the point I can shoot a lr in it without having to get a pair of pliers to get the brass out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123