Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much lanolin do I add to alcohol to make case luibe?

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Doesn't the slight amount of anhydrous lanolin that will suspend in alcohol determine the mix?
    What I mean is that only so much lanolin will go into the mix so if you throw some alcohol in a can on top of some lanolin won't it only pick up as much as it actually can? And that there is your mix?
    I don't know this for sure, therefore I'm asking.
    I use a dab of lanolin covered in alcohol in the bottom of a pimento jar.
    I have no idea and could care less....it works!!!

and to add....
    I can not tell ya'll how many loads I have made with this little bit. No mess, nothing gets on my hands and it mixes very well with 91% alcohol. Shake two or three times before use. Most simplest thing I have ever used for case lube and will never go back to anything else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	279165117_527031189016625_5097986811654486567_n.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	299634

Boolit Buddy
    Doesn't the slight amount of anhydrous lanolin that will suspend in alcohol determine the mix?
    What I mean is that only so much lanolin will go into the mix so if you throw some alcohol in a can on top of some lanolin won't it only pick up as much as it actually can? And that there is your mix?
    That's why you should use LIQUID lanolin and not Anhydrous...Anhydrous is the solid form of lanolin.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone tried the product "Fluid Film" as a source for lanolin?

Boolit Buddy

I use 14:1 which I thought was the ratio that dillon uses, but cant remember where I found that. Either way it works great havent had any issues yet sizing a few thousand 300BO cases.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Bub

I have and it's great for long term storage of your prized firearms .

Beating the horse, I mix 1 oz of pure liquid Lanolin to 12 oz. of 99% Iso Alcohol. Can't begin to tell you where I got the recipe but it works.

Boolit Master
    Bought one bottle of Dillion DCL originally with my 650 but just blend & fill that bottle now. It goes on any brass running in that machine. So much smoother and lower force. Even pistol brass.

I tried the Hornady stuff I like to call 1-Stuck. The name is appropriate. DCL is superior, converted a couple buddies to it too. They were quite pessimistic about how much less effort it is on the handle but were shocked by how well this simple recipe works.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Usual mix for me is about 2 oz (1/2 4oz bottle) to a full bottle of the red HEET. About 8/1 and works through a spray bottle. I stand the cases up in a tray and a light spritz from both sides covers well. Before sizing I wipe the case with my fingers to ensure full coverage. After sizing lay them on an old T-shirt and hit with Brake cleaner and wipe off the worst of it and then into the tumbler with walnut and an oz or two of mineral spirits.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelen View Post
    That's why you should use LIQUID lanolin and not Anhydrous...Anhydrous is the solid form of lanolin.
    i have used anhydrous and i have no problems. when my spray bottle and my jar of anhydrous lanolin is emptied out (its gonna be a few years), i'll try liquid lanolin.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    No need to add any lanolin if you buy a can of Bag Balm at the drug store for 6 bucks
    Apply with fingers. I use it as a case forming lube, straight, with good results.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

The pimento jar.
    Been using the same glob under alcohol forever.

I had to learn not to over do the lube. First starting out I definitely added too much and when they dried, there was a thick line film on there resulting in dented shoulders. I like the rule of a few pumps per 30-50 cases depending on what your sizing. It doesn't take much as long as you shake it up enough. I usually do my 10:1 lube coatings in a galling freezer bag.

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez - quit beatin' yer brains out
    Use STP Oil Treatment or Tri-Flow Synthetic Grease.
    These have proven to handle the most difficult resizing jobs..

Boolit Buddy
    10 ounces of 99% isopropol alcohol + 1 ounce of liquid lanolin (liquid measure) in a spray bottle capable of producing a fine mist spray. That’s what I use on straight walled and bottle neck cases.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm on the ban-wagon of 1:10 lanolin/Isoheat (red bottle) but I also add 5% Ballistol by volume just for good measure. I case form and case size with this formula with great success, from pistol to rifle brass, it lasts a long while and is very economical to make!!!

You are right there is a solubility limit thats where all the mixes ratios came from

Need some help PLEASE. I made some spay lube for the first time. Used 12 to 1. I only had the solid lanolin I use for swaging so I heated it up to melt it. Couldn't find any 99% alcohol so I used the Isoheat like slim1836 used. The lanolin would not stay in suspension so I had to shake before using. Sprayed around 200 Lake City Match 72 308 brass and it worked smooth as silk. I wet tumbled, then sized and trimed and then tumbled again overnight to get the lube off and put the luster back on the cases. When I opened the tumbler the water was almost black and the cases looked like russian steel cases. I rinsed the tumbler and pins and retumbled. The second time I only used 1/2 table spoon of dawn and 1//2 teaspoon of lemishine. Again they caame out looking like steel cases. Really smooth and clean just not brass colored. I trim on a Giraud. Attached is a pic of the cases. The first three were just tumbled. The second three were after sizing and trimming and the last three are what they look like after tumbling twice. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan to load and shoot them - they look pristine except for the color - not a speck of residue outside or inside.
    Thanks,
    ETGClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Discolored Cases.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	304206

I am just guessing but it may be that you tumbled too long, I've never left my brass overnight in a solution with citric acid. You might try some in a vibratory tumbler to remove the dark matter. Or, wash without citric acid, just Dawn, for a while.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Way too much lemishine and too long…just add a pinch and work up if needed. The acid in lemishine leaches out the zinc in the brass so don’t over do it.

Boolit Blub Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang's Avatar
    D you need to clean the lanolin/alcohol case lube off the cases after your done sizing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast