RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much lanolin do I add to alcohol to make case luibe?

Boolit Master

How much lanolin do I add to alcohol to make case luibe?

Just wondering how many parts/parts to add, like 1/4 etc. All replies appreciated.

I think its 10 :1

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I mix it 10:1 with great results.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Just wondering how many parts/parts to add, like 1/4 etc. All replies appreciated.
    Of course the other way is not to add any alcohol at all. Put a VERY small amount (finger smear) of lanolin in the palm of your hand, rub the hands together to distribute the lanolin (and soften the hands), then roll cases between your hands, about half a dozen at a time. Add lanolin as required. You'll pretty soon get the hang of it. Degree of lube on hands required will depend on resistance of cases to sizing. Adjust as necessary. For instance I use more for .308 than for .30-30. If you can see lanolin on the skin you are using far too much.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master

Lube

10:1 works for me. Last a long time cause it disperses very well. Good spray plastic bottle into a plastic bag coats everything very well.
    Just remember to let the alcohol flash off or you will stick a case in a heart beat. Don’t ask how I know.
    Last edited by Hossfly; 04-20-2022 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Add text
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/C...***/42-305174/

PM sent

the forum keeps editing my link. it's in the ar15.com reloading forum

8:1
    Last edited by derek45; 04-20-2022 at 08:41 PM.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the help.

One ounce of liquid lanolin per 12 ounces of Isoheat is what I've used with great results.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Yeap, 10/1 is what I use.

Banned
    its anywhere from 8:1 to 10:1.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderness View Post
    Of course the other way is not to add any alcohol at all. Put a VERY small amount (finger smear) of lanolin in the palm of your hand, rub the hands together to distribute the lanolin (and soften the hands), then roll cases between your hands, about half a dozen at a time. Add lanolin as required. You'll pretty soon get the hang of it. Degree of lube on hands required will depend on resistance of cases to sizing. Adjust as necessary. For instance I use more for .308 than for .30-30. If you can see lanolin on the skin you are using far too much.
    There you go. Why waste alcohol just to get a light smear of lanolin on the cases?

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    There you go. Why waste alcohol just to get a light smear of lanolin on the cases?
    because......processing 1000 round batches of LC brass on a DILLON XL650 with a casefeeder.

DILLON XL650
    1.decapper.
    2. SWAGE-IT primer pocket swager
    4. size die / RT1200 electric trimmer.
    5. redding neck sizer.

spray lube LC 5.56 brass, pour into XL650 casefeeder, each pull produces a de-capped, resized, trimmed, crimped primer pocket crimp removed.

notice that My hands never touch the case, never tire nor get dirty.

next polish brass in 20/40grit corn cob, to remove the lanolin.

change toolhead to
    1. Lyman M-die
    2. powder funnel
    3. powder check system
    4. bullet seater
    5, crimp die if needed.

now load them up, just like pistol....

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Master
    Goodness Derek, that reloading podcast and your equipment list is impressive but do you often load in thousand round batches?

Whatever, but I wasn't posting to an obvious expert reloader with years of experience and thousands of dollars worth of everything like you; I was posting to the OP. You know, the nice fellow who started this thread by simply asking how to rightly mix his case lube?

Goodness Derek, that reloading podcast and your equipment list is impressive but do you often load in thousand round batches?

Whatever, but I wasn't posting to an obvious expert reloader with years of experience and thousands of dollars worth of everything like you; I was posting to the OP. You know, the nice fellow who started this thread by simply asking how to rightly mix his case lube?
    OK, but even with smaller batches, cutting it with alcohol will spread it out around the brass, and make the lanolin last longer.

This is home made Dillon style lube, so I assumed OP was using a progressive machine.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

I mix 10:1 and put it in an old "off" bug spray pump bottle. I put 25 44-40 cases at a time into a plastic container. I use two to three pumps per 50 cases. No idea how much material comes out with one small pump but......I shake the container slightly leaning it at an angle and many of the case stand up. I can typically remove the cases on end about 6 at a time.

No mess on my hands is kind of what I am getting at and minimal use of the oil in the pump.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	278861944_1016091139336056_4696774562587537713_n.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	299353

Boolit Master
    Lanolin is very slick and it's clean. I know it's been used for case resizing, reforming and jacketed bullet swaging since at least the 1950s, probably earlier.

Dillon sells lanolin in a spray can but, IIRC, they didn't invent it. I think Hornady was the first to mass market it as a spray lube in their "1 Shot" form ... I think. ???

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    No need to add any lanolin if you buy a can of Bag Balm at the drug store for 6 bucks
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    No need to add any lanolin if you buy a can of Bag Balm at the drug store for 6 bucks
    Udderly good stuff ... great for reloading , hands and feet ... if you don't have milk cows !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I use 10:1 using 90% alcohol, and recently formed almost 100 .243 Win out of .308 Win with zero issues. Used the baggie lube method.
    if it doesn't fit, don't force it. Get a BIGGER HAMMER!

Doesn't the slight amount of anhydrous lanolin that will suspend in alcohol determine the mix?
    What I mean is that only so much lanolin will go into the mix so if you throw some alcohol in a can on top of some lanolin won't it only pick up as much as it actually can? And that there is your mix?
    I don't know this for sure, therefore I'm asking.
    I use a dab of lanolin covered in alcohol in the bottom of a pimento jar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast