Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 80,000 PSI new ARMY .277_Fury round

Boolit Master
    Although I am now retired from working with, on, and testing Army Small Arms, I am excited about the new cartridge and weapons. The M16-series of rifles are 1950s technology that has been upgraded as technology allows. IMHO, if the magazine well of the original Armalite rifles had been a mere .250" longer to allow a longer cartridge and heavier bullet, that would have been a game changer. As it is, I do believe that the Army has done about all that can be done with the 5.56X45mm cartridge in current weapons. The new cartridge and weapons represent what current technology allows, and is designed to meet the Army's requirements. Will the cartridge, rifle, and SAW live up to expectations? Who knows. But, it will be interesting to watch. How will this technology impact sporting arms and ammunition? Once again, who knows. I don't plan to rush out and buy a rifle chambered for the new cartridge - I've got more than enough as it is. But for the warfighter, I think this is a significant improvement over the status quo.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    What I find interesting is that in the absence of .277Sig ammo, the owner/reloader can cobble together .277-08 cartridges from available components. He/she may not be able to match performance criteria of the Sig ammo, but will nevertheless be able to make useable ammo.
    I don’t see the .308 or 5.56/.223 going away.
    The Sig b/a and civilian version of s/a rifles are already available. (Per Sig)...
    Whether it gets traction in the market is to be seen.
    I doubt the milspec ammunition is NOT reloadable. Even steel cased ammo can be reloaded with available components (ie: Berdan primers, washed, lubricated cases, ect’.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes the Sig MXC Spear is for sale. $8000 though.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want a bolt gun in 277 Fury they are about $1,700. The Cross rifle itself is nice. The butt stock is cheaply constructed. I've sold a couple.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/277-fury-rifles/

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/h...-277-sig-fury/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    So who is going to Ben Avery this weekend to see and shoot this gun? I just couldn't do the 14 hour drive back to back. 50 spots a day to shoot full auto.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If you want a bolt gun in 277 Fury they are about $1,700. The Cross rifle itself is nice. The butt stock is cheaply constructed. I've sold a couple.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/277-fury-rifles/

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/h...-277-sig-fury/
    If this does become a common NATO round, what are the chances it could see use in Palma competition?

Boolit Master
    I am wondering how long it's going to take folks to buy a 277 Fury rifle just for the strong action and rebarrel it in something with more case capacity. It's not like the length of the cartridge really matters that much in a bolt gun if you put in a dummy mag plate and use it single load.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    If this does become a common NATO round, what are the chances it could see use in Palma competition?
    That will need to be voted on by the nations that participate in Palma. If I remember correctly that is 14 countries and many of them are not NATO. Currently the 223 and 308 are the calibers and yes they are NATO but only time will tell. My guess is that the 277 Fury will not be allowed not because of the ballistic advantage but simply because the service has optic sights.

Tradition and bias by those that have superior vision will make this change very difficult.

https://www.longriflesinc.com/pages/...national-palma
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-06-2022 at 10:50 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I had no idea Palma was that widespread.

Boolit Grand Master

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

The 5.56 is a good round as Mr Stoner designed it with a 55 grain bullet out of a 1:14 twist rate. A great 300 yard load. But you all know what happend after that. They made a sows ear out of a silk purse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    The 5.56 is a good round as Mr Stoner designed it with a 55 grain bullet out of a 1:14 twist rate. A great 300 yard load. But you all know what happend after that. They made a sows ear out of a silk purse.
    Anyone here ever reload with a faster twist 5.56 with the intent of creating marginal stability like the original design concept for the 14" twist?

I think you mean "slower" twist rate IE, 1:14 over 1:7.
    Yes I shoot a "Slick" AR15 with a 20" 1:14 twist barrel. It is very accurate out to about 350 meters and hitting 3,200FPS is very easy to do with no pressure signs at all.
    Is it practical at 500 meters? not really. The groups really open up as the bullet becomes more and more unstable in flight. It does not tumble in flight,it wobbles and the path looks like a spiral as the bullet pulls vapor out of the air.
    However, the bullet will absolutely tumble and fragment like crazy if it hits pretty much anything of substance. That is what it was designed to do.
    It was originally designed to protect parked B-52 bombers. If a bullet was to hit the aircraft the damage was not too severe as a .30 bullet out of a 1:10 twist rate barrel would have done.
    I shot a 18 gauge steel locker door at 15 yards with a 55 grain M196 bullet and the bullet exploded into fragments not penetrating the back side of the locker.
    Do this with a 1:7 or 9 twist barrel and it will most likely go straight through both sides of the same locker.

No, I mean loading 5.56 to shoot in the modern faster twist barrels.
    And to achieve the marginal stability that made the round such a good idea to start with.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345