MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Springfield XD 9mm

Boolit Master

Springfield XD 9mm

I'm looking at buying a 9mm Springfield XD, also called a "Defend Your Legacy" model. I was hoping there might be folks here who might have one of these and be able to relate their experience with it.

Here's a link to Springfield's page describing it:

https://www.springfield-armory.com/x...l-9mm-handgun/

I had a very bad experience with the early generation .45 Auto Springfield XD--it had some bad feeding problems with some bullet profiles, especially the HG 68 style. At this point, it's a well known problem for that generation of the .45 Auto XD. That said, I don't know if there are/were similar problems with the 9mm XD models. I also don't know if this "Defend Your Legacy" model of the 9mm XD is the same design.

If anyone has any specific experience with this 9mm "Defend Your Legacy" Springfield XD, I'd appreciate hearing about your experience with it.

Thanks,
    Mike

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    That is the original XD, which has proven to be an excellent 9mm pistol. It's the only one I ever see in police holsters here other than Glock.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

My experience with the XD 9mm was brief. My problem with it was purely personal. My hands fit the grips in such a way that the magazine pinched my little finger between the magazine and the grip when I fired it.
    Even though I no longer own that pistol, I had no issues with feeding or any other functioning of the pistol.
    I now own an XDm. Basically the same pistol with a longer grip area. It functions and shoots like a dream.
    You so seldom run across any boolits for 9mm that have a ledge at the front similar to the H&G 68, that I would not worry about it.
    You would need to be using boolits designed for a much different handgun to have that type of issue.
    I am very familiar with the feeding issue the XD 45acp had. The problem was the bottom of the cartridge extended below the face of the slide such that when the slide moved rearward, the case rim got hung up on the step/ledge the H&G 68 had. This doesn't happen with the 9mm versions.
    The cure was to not use that type of boolit. RNFP designs worked without issues.
    The XDm 45acp cured the problem.
    Last edited by tazman; 04-20-2022 at 02:26 PM.

SIL has the XD full sized 9, I have the XDm in 40. No problem with either. Both have several thou rnds through them.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    I've had a few of that generation full sized XD 9 and 45 with no issues at all. Used one for 3 gun for a while too. Upgraded sights could be desired if it doesn't come with night sights but as far as functionality I wouldn't hesitate to carry another XD.

Local shop has the original XD for $399.95 right now. Excellent gun for just a little more than the economy offerings from other brands.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

A friend has a Springfield XD 9mm Luger and it worked fine with factory ammo .
    Handloading with cast boolits sized .357" ... the only problem was it had a short ( or no ) throat .
    Boolits not seatied deep enough would engrave into and stick in the rifling and usually not fully chamber ... the pistol always managed to extract the stuck round but the risk of tearing a rim off is there . Other than a tight / short throat ... it was fine .
    Worked up good loads with following boolits ... watch seating depth :
    Lee 356-120-TC
    Lee 156-125-2R
    NOE 358-124-TC-GC ... this boolit works best in short throats ... Al designed it to eliminate the jambing tendency of the boolits into the rifling on chambering ...Good Boolit !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

We had some down time at the shop today so I examined a Hellcat in detail. Honestly, I'm rather disappointed in it. The trigger mechanism feels like just a more refined version of Glock, meaning the Hellcat lacks one of the best features of the XD series. There is really nothing new or innovative about the gun, just a double stack Glock 43 with a Springfield look to it. I'm sure it's a good gun and we certainly sell alot of them, but something of a disappointment to me.

Boolit Mold
    I have a beater xd service in 357 sig/ 40s&w spare barrel. And I can say I've never seen it choke. Now that I'm starting to reload for 357 sig let's see if we can keep that going. The legacy model thing is just new marketing to spice things up.

Boolit Master

I carried an XD40 Tactical for duty before I got a G35, maybe about two years. Awesome pistol! If I ever find another in bi-tone, I will snatch it up.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Looking at the Springfield website, they seem to be going all in on the Hellcat and throwing everything else off the train.