RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 310 cadet mystery.....

310 cadet mystery.....

So long story short, I'm attempting to form 310 cadet brass (thin rimmed) from 7.62 nagant brass. Easy enough right? Well... I've acquired a set of 310 dies, originally made by NDFS (North Devon Firearm Service) in the UK. They look great....BUT, after disassembling and cleaning, etc. the sizing/depriming die has a .250dia neck sizing button in it?? Obviously that isn't right...so I removed it (didn't matter, it didn't touch the brass anyway) and sized a couple cases just to see what I actually have.

Ended up with:

.388 rim diameter
    .042 rim thickness
    .352 base dimeter
    .314 neck od
    .285 neck id

length, as I trimmed to, is 1.120.

So....my questions are: Do I have some weird wildcat 310 cadet dies? Do I have the correct die body with the incorrect neck sizing button? <obviously the button is wrong, but is the die body correct?>. And...any suggestions where I might find a correct neck sizing button?

Unfortunately don't have the rifle in hand yet....but trying to get ahead of brass supply, and maybe even be able to supply brass for others at a reasonable price.

Any advice welcome and appreciated!

Trails..
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

They might work and as for the expander, You might have Morris Short dies or rook dies

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/my...-rook.1127253/
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

It's definitely not bottlenecked, so rules out the rook or the morris...I'll try to get some photos up tomorrow. The seating die is an interesting bird as well....hard to describe but has a spring loaded rod that runs the length of it, protruding from the bottom of the seating stem all the way through the top of the die. Never seen anything like it.... ????

And FWIW...all three dies are stamped 310 c k. I do wonder what the 'k' represents...but don't seem to find much info out there on the NDFS dies....
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Simplest plan is to alter the dies to suit what you want.......may be able to be reamed with solid carbide,or maybe need to be softened ,and rehardened after alteration......I just use 32/20 cases and some old Lee dies altered to suit my method.........the Lee dies were so soft ,I dont think they ever had any hardening....anyway,I just use them soft ,and no wear is apparent all these years

Boolit Buddy
    Perhaps when they were last used before being sold the person using them was expanding the neck on something like a 22 hornet for reasons we can only guess at.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Master
    25-20 dies maybe? 25-310 kilbounre. Dunno

No use doing anything till you get your rifle then do a chamber cast.

That should tell you what you need to end up with.
    Make brass to suit chamber and bullet to suit case inside diameter and throat
    Brass rims will only need to thinned depending how deep the reamer was put into the chamber and breach to that measurement + a couple of thou clearance.
    As far as I know.

Or just waste time and money and commodities.
    They do vary quite a bit.
    Shoot excellent with a good bore and ammo that fit’s.

After you are done the Ultimate is to cast ,re prime brass and finger seat bullets into the used brass.
    You only need some way of getting a primer in and out.
    And finger lube bullets.And drop a few grains of powder in it.

More than likely need a whole workshop to do it thou.
    Last edited by barrabruce; 04-19-2022 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks for the replies guys.... It is indeed a mystery, although I'm leaning toward the die body being correct to the 310 cadet, but with simply a misplaced neck expander button on it.

The brass, as formed with no expander, looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220419_115542[1].jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	299221

So not much off being close to 310 cadet, just with the wrong inside neck diameter. (.286, as opposed to something closer to .312 or so, depending on the mold being used). Interestingly, the expander die appears correct, with a step around .315, so maybe working OK for a heeled bullet.

Name:	20220419_115126[1].jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	299222

The real mystery to me is what I assume to be the seating die.

Name:	20220419_115044[1].jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	68.9 KB 
ID:	299223

It's obviously been modified (threads turned off the stem) but what's up with the spring-loaded rod running internally the length of the die?? Anyone seen something like this before??

Name:	20220419_120458[1].jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	299224

I know the rifle is original to 310 cadet (thin rimmed) so not so much worried about being able to load for it. It will come with a good supply of brass, so no worries with being able to shoot. My question is more about what these dies might have been modified for....as much for my curiosity as anything else. If they are useful for forming 310 cadet from 7.62 nagant, that's great..I can make brass pretty cheap. If not...I'd just like to figure out what they are!

Thanks! Trails...

Boolit Master
    Isn't .310 ck the .310 cattle killer made by Greener? But I thought it was a .310 bullet used in it?

Hawkeye....... Ya might be onto something buddy. Doesn't explain the .250 neck expander button, but might explain why the sizing die is sizing too small at the neck as the standard 310 brass would be way too long. Hhhmmm....

Does this round use a heeled bullet?
    Cognitive Dissident

Yes, it does use a heeled bullet....

Just in the last couple of weeks I made a seater/crimper for a Lyman tong tool for the old .32 Long Colt. Another heeled bullet round. Rather than being fixed, the seater stem is spring-loaded, to keep the bullet firmly in place while the die crimps the brass around it. A side benefit is that the spring pushes the finished round back out of the die, rather than depending solely on the hook to pull it out.

Maybe what you've got there is something similar?
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Yep it's a 120gr heeled bullet. Hey maybe somebody was trying to convert the dies to a .25 wildcat or .25-20 ss or something?

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Just in the last couple of weeks I made a seater/crimper for a Lyman tong tool for the old .32 Long Colt. Another heeled bullet round. Rather than being fixed, the seater stem is spring-loaded, to keep the bullet firmly in place while the die crimps the brass around it. A side benefit is that the spring pushes the finished round back out of the die, rather than depending solely on the hook to pull it out.

Maybe what you've got there is something similar?
    This seems to have merit.... The springloaded rod is adjustable for length from the top, so perhaps adjustable for tension as well... But Holy Cow, what a bunch of really good machine work to create it, if that's what it is. And the rod is quite narrow (maybe .150 at best) so do wonder about that...

Well, mine took a solid hour on my (old, slow) lathe, but it's a key part of my field reloading kit for the .32 Colt.

Does the seater squeeze the case mouth down any? Like a neck sizer would?
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Well, mine took a solid hour on my (old, slow) lathe, but it's a key part of my field reloading kit for the .32 Colt.

Does the seater squeeze the case mouth down any? Like a neck sizer would?
    Don't know yet.... I don't have a rifle, nor bullets in hand yet. I was just trying to get ahead of the curve and create
    'standard' 310 cadet brass from 7.62 nagant brass. So found these dies on ASSRA site and made a deal for them.

I'm starting to think they may have at least originally been 310 cattle killer dies, but maybe modified again from that.

Nice to see somebody in upstate SC doing something cool like this!
    I was beginning to think everyone here just shoots ARs, AKs, and polymer!

I can't wait to see what you come up with once all the pieces come together.

Boolit Master
    I found a box of Bertram .310 “Cattle Killer” brass. It’s quite a bit shorter than the regular empty shells I have, from Bertram and Eley.

I don’t know the exact setup for the .310 caliber, but the usual cattle killing setup in this country used a blank cartridge to drive a captive rod or prong into the animal’s forehead. You loaded a blank, held the device between the cow’s eyes, hit the rear end with a hammer, and down she went. Nobody wanted accidentally discharged or ricocheting bullets flying around the slaughterhouse.

Your die with the constriction and plunger might crimp a wad over the powder for such a blank. Removing the bushing and replacing those spring loaded parts with a regular seating stem might be all you need to do.

I have an old C-H three-die set for the .310. I rarely need to use the sizer or expander. The fired cases generally come out of the chamber expanded very little and the heels of the boolits from my Group Buy Lee mould and an anonymous single-cavity mould I found somewhere seat very securely into the fired cases.

Boolit Mold
    trails4u congrats on the Cadet,,,hope it is all original like min. I only have 20 rounds thru mine so far--this is what I did and works GREAT--Arsenal bullet mold for cadet with heel base. I trimmed Nagant case down to 1.126 thats longest to fit in chamber. I got larger sizing buttons from Redding and turned/sanded down to .312 --used a Redding die for 7.5 Swiss without deprime pin to run .312 sizer button into nagant case. Any Redding sizer die in around .308--30-06 will work ( you are only using the sizer button in die to move brass),,Redding dies have button on bottom of decap rod where you need it. You should reduce size of tighting nut in front of button tho. To get the correct O.D. on outside of case I use a Lee push through cast bullet sizer .324 -8mm I will bump loaded round into that bullet sizer just far enough to go over length of bullet inside. I know it sounds strange but it all works perfect for me. Just loaded 50 with 4.3 Unique wating for nice range weather.

Boolit Mold
    The Arsenal brand heeled bullet mold runs .313 heeled area dia. -- .324 on driving bands---.319 in front of driving bands ,, then tapers to bullet tip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast