Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP pet load

Boolit Buddy

45 ACP pet load

Let’s see them. I will go first. I’m new here. Just recently found this forum. I learned what I do mostly from reading the Lyman cast bullet manual and figuring out what works for me through trial and error. I mostly shoot revolvers. I do enjoy shooting my 1911 less the Easter egg hunt for my brass though.

Bullets are cast from a 50/50 mix of clip on wheel weights and pure soft lead cast from a six cavity Lee Tumble lube 230 round nose mold. I have other .45 molds but these are what I usually cast for my 1911. Holding my alloy as close as I can to 720F, once the mold is up to temp and a consistent dwell time and pouring tempo, the Lee TL mold drops them at .4525 with consistency.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	945704B3-D70B-40D0-B9D8-06A73E2140CB.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	299190
    I size to .452. Through trial and error and maybe somewhat against conventional practices, these micro band Bullets get conventional lube on my RCBS Lube A Matic. Bullets are seated and crimped on the same stroke with a Hornady taper crimp seating die. I know a lot of loaders prefer to seat and crimp separately but i do not experience any ill effects with this taper crimp seating die.

Name:	4B3D3D80-1D2E-47ED-81D2-FBD457F4BEB6.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	299191
    Pistol is a 1911 colt government model. Old school flat mainspring housing and short trigger. Powder charge is 5.3 grains of W-231 and a CCI large pistol primer. The load has no leading and shoots better in this pistol than I can shoot it. It makes this combo a lot of fun. At age 61, my eyes and shoulders fatigue sooner than they used to. In light of that if I shoot for groups these days, it is while the eyes are fresh at the start of a range session. My nerves betrayed me yesterday. I started off with one magazine of slow fire at the 25 yard line. The low one was the last one in the magazine and I pulled it out of the group but that is what it is….

Name:	B688592A-FFE5-4266-990D-59D4CE513B87.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	299192
    I dug one of the slugs out of the dirt bank I was shooting into. For expansion and weight retention I like the 50/50 alloy. Overall a solid load in my government model.

Name:	83171CC8-D6C4-4FC8-A642-86EA051D3294.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	299193
    Last edited by Willie T; 04-18-2022 at 06:17 PM.

You have a working formula. Good job.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Some nice shootin there Willie! Wish my 65 year old self could still print like that.
    Deplorable infidel

3.9gr CLAYS

any 230gr bullet.

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Mold
    Darn nice shooting looks like you have a good load,i use WST in my 45acp with a 200gr swc i have a good supply of that powder.

4.0 BullsEye, any bullet will do..

Boolit Master

I don't get very fancy. The Lyman 452460 over 4g of Bullseye, 4.5g of Red Dot or 5.5g of Unique. I haven't found a 45 that didn't like at least one of these.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

5.2 HP38 under a 230 gn powder coated RN does well for me. Great shootin'!
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    Let’s see them. I will go first. I’m new here. Just recently found this forum. I learned what I do mostly from reading the Lyman cast bullet manual and figuring out what works for me through trial and error. I mostly shoot revolvers. I do enjoy shooting my 1911 less the Easter egg hunt for my brass though.

Bullets are cast from a 50/50 mix of clip on wheel weights and pure soft lead cast from a six cavity Lee Tumble lube 230 round nose mold. I have other .45 molds but these are what I usually cast for my 1911. Holding my alloy as close as I can to 720F, once the mold is up to temp and a consistent dwell time and pouring tempo, the Lee TL mold drops them at .4525 with consistency.

Name:	945704B3-D70B-40D0-B9D8-06A73E2140CB.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	299190
    I size to .452. Through trial and error and maybe somewhat against conventional practices, these micro band Bullets get conventional lube on my RCBS Lube A Matic. Bullets are seated and crimped on the same stroke with a Hornady taper crimp seating die. I know a lot of loaders prefer to seat and crimp separately but i do not experience any ill effects with this taper crimp seating die.

Name:	4B3D3D80-1D2E-47ED-81D2-FBD457F4BEB6.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	299191
    Pistol is a 1911 colt government model. Old school flat mainspring housing and short trigger. Powder charge is 5.3 grains of W-231 and a CCI large pistol primer. The load has no leading and shoots better in this pistol than I can shoot it. It makes this combo a lot of fun. At age 61, my eyes and shoulders fatigue sooner than they used to. In light of that if I shoot for groups these days, it is while the eyes are fresh at the start of a range session. My nerves betrayed me yesterday. I started off with one magazine of slow fire at the 25 yard line. The low one was the last one in the magazine and I pulled it out of the group but that is what it is….

Name:	B688592A-FFE5-4266-990D-59D4CE513B87.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	299192
    I dug one of the slugs out of the dirt bank I was shooting into. For expansion and weight retention I like the 50/50 alloy. Overall a solid load in my government model.

Name:	83171CC8-D6C4-4FC8-A642-86EA051D3294.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	299193
    If you can shoot that good consistently offhand standing at 25 yards you sir HAVE ARRIVED in the shooting world. 99 percent of all handgun shooters envy you. What is your secret?

Hello from Central TN. It looks like you have found a combination that works.

5 grains of w231 is my typical target load under 230gr round ball. For higher power i use 8gr cfe pistol under a 200gr RNFP.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

That is one dang nice pistol.

Double post.
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Nice shooting sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    If you can shoot that good consistently offhand standing at 25 yards you sir HAVE ARRIVED in the shooting world. 99 percent of all handgun shooters envy you. What is your secret?
    I will take that like you meant it like you were looking me in the eye, rather than trying to be an Internet smart aleck making snarky comments behind a computer screen. Most pistols and loads won’t do that. If you shoot much, you already know that. That is what makes finding a combination for your handgun like I shared special. It is why a segment of us do it. There is no magic easy button to hit what you are shooting at. It takes putting in enough time to manage what limits you. It takes developing the coordination and the small stabilizing muscles to steady up and hold dead nuts through the break of the trigger. That is a perishable skill and it takes maintenance to maintain it. If you shoot well you already know that too. It takes that to take advantage of loading consistent ammunition that brings alive an accurate pistol. You probably already know that too. I don’t see any percentage in talking to you about what it takes to shoot silhouettes freehand at 200 yards with revolvers. That is a thing too. “We all set the bar in different places” and can all enjoy this hobby like that… This bug bit me as a kid. It was long before there was an Internet. We had alot more time to shoot than the young men and women today on account of it. A half a century later here I am, still scratching the same itch.
    I thought maybe I had found some like minded hand loaders/shooters and a place for an old guy to share and continue to learn about loading, shooting, and casting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    I will take that like you meant it like you were looking me in the eye, rather than trying to be an Internet smart aleck making snarky comments behind a computer screen. Most pistols and loads won’t do that. If you shoot much, you already know that. That is what makes finding a combination for your handgun like I shared special. It is why a segment of us do it. There is no magic easy button to hit what you are shooting at. It takes putting in enough time to manage what limits you. It takes developing the coordination and the small stabilizing muscles to steady up and hold dead nuts through the break of the trigger. That is a perishable skill and it takes maintenance to maintain it. If you shoot well you already know that too. It takes that to take advantage of loading consistent ammunition that brings alive an accurate pistol. You probably already know that too. I don’t see any percentage in talking to you about what it takes to shoot silhouettes freehand at 200 yards with revolvers. That is a thing too. “We all set the bar in different places” and can all enjoy this hobby like that… This bug bit me as a kid. It was long before there was an Internet. We had alot more time to shoot than the young men and women today on account of it. A half a century later here I am, still scratching the same itch.
    I thought maybe I had found some like minded hand loaders/shooters and a place for an old guy to share and continue to learn about loading, shooting, and casting.
    Calm down. I would like to know how to do what you do. Any handgun shooter would like to know. If they are honest they would. That is fantastic shooting at 25 offhand. I shot a lot with a high master bullseye shooter and he couldn't shoot like that anywhere consistently. Occasionally he could and he was a high master which is no small feat.
    I sure would like to know how you do it. Instead of getting hateful share your knowledge with us.

Boolit Buddy
    That is a very good load and very good shooting. Both the load and my shooting is not as good as that. Congratulations.

Boolit Buddy
    H&G 68 cast with 92/4/4 sized to 0.452” and lubed with White’s BAC ahead of 4.1 grains of WST in sorted Starline brass sparked by a WLPP through a Wilson Combat Classic. Works great as a paper load for me. YMMV.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    WillieT, I cast, load and shoot the exact same boolit ( 50/50 wheel weights/pure with 2% tin, though),in both of my .45’s. Only difference is I powder coat them, and use 4.8 grains of 700X.
    Mighty fine shooting that is right there!
    You DID find a place to share, learn and continue to learn about casting,loading and shooting!!
    There is a wealth of knowledge here, and some of the nicest people on the net, also. Welcome aboard, fellow caster, keep us posted. We all can learn from each other.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Mine used to be an H&G 68 style bullet over 5.3 grains of 231.

However, these days it's a 210 grain SWC from a Lee group buy we did here many years ago over 4.0 grains of Clays.

The bullet is very similar to Accurate 45-210N:

Name:	45-210N.png 
Views:	533 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	299214

It requires a little deeper seating, but is still 100% reliable in all my .45 autos, and superbly accurate.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast