WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP pet load

4gr red dot, grooveless bullet with hitek coating. Nice gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    I will take that like you meant it like you were looking me in the eye, rather than trying to be an Internet smart aleck making snarky comments behind a computer screen. Most pistols and loads won’t do that. If you shoot much, you already know that. That is what makes finding a combination for your handgun like I shared special. It is why a segment of us do it. There is no magic easy button to hit what you are shooting at. It takes putting in enough time to manage what limits you. It takes developing the coordination and the small stabilizing muscles to steady up and hold dead nuts through the break of the trigger. That is a perishable skill and it takes maintenance to maintain it. If you shoot well you already know that too. It takes that to take advantage of loading consistent ammunition that brings alive an accurate pistol. You probably already know that too. I don’t see any percentage in talking to you about what it takes to shoot silhouettes freehand at 200 yards with revolvers. That is a thing too. “We all set the bar in different places” and can all enjoy this hobby like that… This bug bit me as a kid. It was long before there was an Internet. We had alot more time to shoot than the young men and women today on account of it. A half a century later here I am, still scratching the same itch.
    I thought maybe I had found some like minded hand loaders/shooters and a place for an old guy to share and continue to learn about loading, shooting, and casting.
    If you have really thin skin, you might not do too well here. You were complimented and took offense!

Boolit Master
    3/3/96 MP 454-200 deep HP over 5.6g Bullseye has been a very nice performer in revolver, several 1911s from original 1918 to 2018 R1 DS, and Sig P220. Dad took down a ton of bowling pins with this load and it has served me well.

Personally, I love the old HG 130 (3/3/94) over 3.0gr bullseye. Makes an awesome mouse fart load that will just barely cycle my tuned 1911s but does and shoots great. Does very well in 1917s too.

I called my Broker, E. F. Nuttin, and ordered popcorn shares

Bullseye, Red Dot, and AA#2 lately. Enough to push either the Lee 200gr swc or 230gr tc to around 800fps. My idea of a pistol cartridge since back when I weighed 125 pounds.....
    Good shooting with a good looking pistol there!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    If you have really thin skin, you might not do too well here. You were complimented and took offense!
    No thin skin and no offense taken. I just didn’t register here to be goaded into trying to prove something. Just shared some of what I do hopefully to read what some of y’all had to say about casting and loading for 45acp. Thank you all for replying and sharing your pet .45 loads. With component supplies what they are, I doubt I’m the only loader with interest in what others are loading for
    There 45’s with good results. Thanks to those that replied.
    Willie

Boolit Master

That's real good shooting. Could do that once upon a time myself, but days long past. These days it's hit the black consistently and I'm happy.

.45ACP in a Colt Gov't, a great combination.

Lyman #452488 - 3.5grs Bulleye in a Gold Cup
    RCBS #45-201-KT - 5.2grs TiteGroup in a Combat Gov't Model
    Lyman #452374 - 5.0grs Bullseye in a Gov't Model & Glock M21

All loads taken from Lyman handbooks over the last 60+ years.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Lee copy of the H&G 68, think it is the 452-200 SWC in the Lee catalog. This was a bevel base I milled down to flat base and comes in about 190 grs in range lead or slightly less with 96-3-1. Backed by 3.1 grs of Bullseye pleasant to shoot and accurate, although it does require a lighter recoil spring to function. That's some fine shooting, wish I could still do as well but age and arthritis have taken their toll.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich/WIS View Post
    Lee copy of the H&G 68, think it is the 452-200 SWC in the Lee catalog. This was a bevel base I milled down to flat base and comes in about 190 grs in range lead or slightly less with 96-3-1. Backed by 3.1 grs of Bullseye pleasant to shoot and accurate, although it does require a lighter recoil spring to function. That's some fine shooting, wish I could still do as well but age and arthritis have taken their toll.
    I did the same thing with a file. The Lee mold was ugly on the back and nothing to loose. The boolit turned out good enough that I like it. I have done several Lee molds like that. You need to go slow as you can't unfile it. If you screw it up put it away and your wife can sell it when you kick the bucket. 4.5 of Bullseye is my favorite load for a 200gr. in 45acp.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 04-20-2022 at 03:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee 230gr TC with 5.2gr of W231/HP38. The secret to good handgun shooting is simple. Put the sights on target and hold them there until the round has been fired. Doing that simple thing is not so easy which is why I don't shoot nearly that well. Good shooting on your part.

Boolit Master
    Even at my peak I wasn't anywhere close to that. Yep, takes a lot of skill development to do that kind of thing consistently, and a well tuned pistol with good ammo.

Steel match loads

155 SWC
    7.4 VV 340

This is for steel matches with a reduced recoil spring. It has a slow pressure curve and will drop the cases at your feet with very low recoil to keep you on target. Velocity is high enough you don't have to change POA from one stage to the other. The 155 SWC may require some work on the gun though to feed properly. But, if you need quick shots with the barrel staying on target this one to try. It's not a USPSA load so don't know the power factor.

Boolit Master
    If I may interject a comment here with out making Mr. Willie T upset as I did on my first post on this thread if I had a load that shoots like his does (research the Al Dormant Military NRA Bullseye load for reference) I wouldnt worry not one bit what anyone else is using. If anyone looked at the photo of that target shot slowfire, at 25 yards, so evidentially offhand, it doesnt get any better
    Six or seven shots in less than an inch is phenominal shooting. Even with the "flyer" it is still phenomenal.
    I dont think that is a custom Bullseye set up 1911 either.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 04-26-2022 at 09:18 AM.

Most accurate load I have shot is the H&G 68 (or copy) 200 grain SWC over 4.2 Bullseye.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    If I may interject a comment here with out making Mr. Willie T upset as I did on my first post on this thread if I had a load that shoots like his does (research the Al Dormant Military NRA Bullseye load for reference) I wouldnt worry not one bit what anyone else is using. If anyone looked at the photo of that target shot slowfire, at 25 yards, so evidentially offhand, it doesnt get any better
    Six or seven shots in less than an inch is phenominal shooting. Even with the "flyer" it is still phenomenal.
    I dont think that is a custom Bullseye set up 1911 either.
    44Mag#1, I sent you a PM.

I just found this forum. I started before there was an Internet. Experimentation to understand what works for me is the route I have traveled. This forum opened up a whole new world of other casters/shooters to me. I shared what I came up with and have great interest in studying what some of y’all have came up with. No it is not a bullseye set up pistol. It has a match grade barrel and a nice tight barrel bushing. My interest in developing that load was accuracy without leading and expansion in that particular pistol. Of note to me is the number of competitors developing loads with minimal recoil for laying down faster shot strings on target. This forum is cool!!!
    Last edited by Willie T; 04-26-2022 at 02:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
    44Mag#1, I sent you a PM.

I just found this forum. I started before there was an Internet. Experimentation to understand what works for me is the route I have traveled. This forum opened up a whole new world of other casters/shooters to me. I shared what I came up with and have great interest in studying what some of y’all have came up with. No it is not a bullseye set up pistol. It has a match grade barrel and a nice tight barrel bushing. My interest in developing that load was accuracy without leading and expansion in that particular pistol. Of note to me is the number of competitors developing loads with minimal recoil for laying down faster shot strings on target. This forum is cool!!!
    It is a great place to sit and stay awhile. Thank you for joining us and we all look forward to what your experience can contribute.

Boolit Master

Bingo...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master

45 ACP - Pet Load - AMT Hardballer - 5" barrel
    Lyman # 452460 - 200 gr. - SWC - 50/50 alloy - sized .452"
    5.2 grs. Unique @ 730 fps

Good accurate lower midrange load , not a powder-puff target load , and not a MAX load .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    My VERY FAVORITE is 6.5-7.0/Unique/215 gr. SAECO #58 LSWC.
    I've shot 4.0/Bullseye/darned-near-everything and never had it NOT work.
    When I had delusions of breaking into IDPA big time, I bought an 8# jug of Promo, b/c it was the least expensive of the "fast"-burning propellants & used it to make 20,000 - 30,000 reloads with it, easily. I still have some of it around. I used 4.2/Promo/230 gr. LRN or 225 gr. T/C for practice and competition. I used 4.6/Promo/200 gr. LSWC or RNFP. Both shot tightly, easily, and reliably.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    My VERY FAVORITE is 6.5-7.0/Unique/215 gr. SAECO #58 LSWC.
    I've shot 4.0/Bullseye/darned-near-everything and never had it NOT work.
    When I had delusions of breaking into IDPA big time, I bought an 8# jug of Promo, b/c it was the least expensive of the "fast"-burning propellants & used it to make 20,000 - 30,000 reloads with it, easily. I still have some of it around. I used 4.2/Promo/230 gr. LRN or 225 gr. T/C for practice and competition. I used 4.6/Promo/200 gr. LSWC or RNFP. Both shot tightly, easily, and reliably.
    Then you would love the Accurate Mold 45-229N mold.