Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Recipes for patches and brass soaking?

Boolit Master

Recipes for patches and brass soaking?

I used the search function and went back a year or so in searching posts and could not find any info. Not sure if I'm using the proper terminology or not.

It's been about a decade since I've shot in a BPCR match and can't remember the solution recipe I used for the patches I ran through the barrel between shots at a match.

Also, I had a container that I would throw the fresh empty brass in to prevent any corrosion before I could get them home and tumbled. I believe that recipe was just auto anti-freeze and maybe some dawn dish soap?

I remember there was some use of anti-freeze, vinegar Windex, and Dawn dish soap, but I don't remember the ratios or specifics.

I believe the patches were soaked in some combination of the above.

I asked my dad and he said 50/50 anti-freeze for everything, but he is getting older and I remember there were more ingredients.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

My brass and bore-pigs go in a plastic jug with water (hot if I can) and Dawn, Wet Patches (just damp really) with a mixture of 1 part Pinesol, 1 part Murphy's, and 1 part Ballistol. Works for me.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Boolit Master

I use 5 to 1 water soluble machinist's oil and water to wet patch between shots and I quit using a "stink jug" as I found its easier to just wet tumble the brass first chance I get after I get home, typically the next day.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I use water soluble oil and water 1-7 to wipe between shots. I also leave the cases alone until I get home to deprime and clean. Or if at an extended match like the recently completed Desert International, clean each days empties in an ultra sonic cleaner until I get back home and run them thru the tumbler to put the shine back on.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Interesting seeing the different recipes.

I also use a blow tube after each shot, but I run a patch maybe every couple or so shots.

Of course, that was in competition in Phoenix, AZ.

Found some excellent info in this thread...

https://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19662
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

On my muzzle loaders I use a patch with straight rubbing alcohol between shots. I use a mixture of equal amounts of alcohol, peroxide and Murphy's oil soap for a quick cleaning at the range.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Idaho, you would probably do yourself a great service in your quest to get into BPCR by finding out if they still shoot BPTR midrange at Spokane, or looking up the schedule for the Deep Creek range over in Missoula and start attending some of those matches. You'll learn more in a days shooting a match than you will in a years worth of asking questions on the internet.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Idaho, you would probably do yourself a great service in your quest to get into BPCR by finding out if they still shoot BPTR midrange at Spokane, or looking up the schedule for the Deep Creek range over in Missoula and start attending some of those matches. You'll learn more in a days shooting a match than you will in a years worth of asking questions on the internet.
    I was into BPCR years ago and have my share of trophies. It's just been ten years since I've been into it and couldn't remember the recipe for the solutions I used.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch-1 View Post
    On my muzzle loaders I use a patch with straight rubbing alcohol between shots. I use a mixture of equal amounts of alcohol, peroxide and Murphy's oil soap for a quick cleaning at the range.
    muzzleloaders I shoot a wet patch on the ball (drippy wet and I blot off the excess on my pants leg as I am loading) have shot a full days competition (5 ten shot events) without cleaning at all - got the bling on the mantelpiece to prove it works, lube is 20%- 25% cutting oil and water plus a little vegetable dye to confuse the opposition (they see the good results and guess I must have paid enormous amount of money at the gunshop for my magic lube ..he he !)

cartridge ? still shooting grease boolits - good lube grooves, good lube, bit of blow tube, can do about 15 no clean without loosing anything that I can identify (on a good day I can get just inside 2MOA at 100yards with old eyes and tang sight. this system and careful loading will get Extreme Spread into single digit on the chrony - caveat - for a chrony string I will fire one fouling shot then count from the second on) The first (cold, clean barrel) shot will usually go a bit outside the main group . Blow tube? where I shoot one breath is enough - if its humid conditions and a bit cooler one every three shots is plenty. Seen videos of blokes huffin and puffin on these things every shot like theys blowin a balloon up for the kids party ---- toooooooo much for me ----go drink some water!!!!!