Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: Blackhorn 209, Titegroup and 45LC

Boolit Mold

Blackhorn 209, Titegroup and 45LC

So I have 2# of Blackhorn 209, 4# of 3f BP and 2# of Titegroup

I also have large pistol primers (not magnum).

I’m tryin to decide of what powder to use.

This is a hunting load for eastern whitetail using a 255grn lead FRN cast bullet. I’m not punching paper, I’m punching meat at 75 yards or less.

I’ve “read” that I absolutely need magnum primers for B209, is that true?

I’d like to use the B209, as I like to use my BP for my flintlock.

What say y’all?

I say go with the BH209. Even if those bullets are made out of a modern hard alloy with smokeless lube, they'll be fine with it. No reason those primers won't fire it just fine and you'll get better ballistics than you would with Titegroup. Easy choice and save the real powder for the flintlock.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you sir!

Blackhorn is easy for me to get locally AND is still cheaper than buying smokeless online and paying for shipping.

Boolit Master
    I use standard CCI /Fed 209;nothing else needed /Ed

Boolit Mold
    Can I use Liquid Alox with B209? Will I still need to pan lube?

Boolit Master

What gun is this 45lc? Can it handle ruger/t.v. loads?
    If it was me I'd go titegroup all day long. Even with non ruger loads..5.8gr titegroup should push that 255 nicely.

And.. You don't have to worry about your brass or gun corroding while you look at it.. Or if you miss a microscopic grain..because that's where it will pit. Plus.. Without GOOD lube..the fouling will be less fun to remove.
    If I wanted to hunt BP handgun I'd take a walker ( not a dragon ) and a 454 or 457 ball and just as much P or fffg as I could crush under the ball and then wax the cyl mouths and call it good. Probably get near 60 grains per hole. That smokewagon would hunt. Clean nipples too...

Boolit Master

My opinion? Conventional smokless lubes perform less than ideal in BP applications. I know many that refuse to use any petro based lube in BP apps. If they are already aloxed, I'd sure pan lube them with a stiff mix of mostly beeswax and perhaps some olive oil mixed in. BP lubes also serve to keep fouling soft... Smokless lubes don't. My opinion..that and 5$ will get you a Starbucks coffee..

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    What gun is this 45lc? Can it handle ruger/t.v. loads?
    If it was me I'd go titegroup all day long. Even with non ruger loads..5.8gr titegroup should push that 255 nicely.

And.. You don't have to worry about your brass or gun corroding while you look at it.. Or if you miss a microscopic grain..because that's where it will pit. Plus.. Without GOOD lube..the fouling will be less fun to remove.
    If I wanted to hunt BP handgun I'd take a walker ( not a dragon ) and a 454 or 457 ball and just as much P or fffg as I could crush under the ball and then wax the cyl mouths and call it good. Probably get near 60 grains per hole. That smokewagon would hunt. Clean nipples too...
    THIS ^^
    As I have no clue as to what firearm you are using as you didn't say.
    I only shoot BP in cap & ball revolvers and my percussion rifles.
    No way I want to spend hours upon hours cleaning that crap out of any of my Lever guns.
    So my vote is the tg, myself I would use Unique or Red dot, but that's what "I" have on hand.
    Good luck on the hunting, I have a pair of levers in 45 colt and hope to some day score with one if not both before I pass from this place.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Mold
    Ohhh….it’s a R92 lever gun in 45LC

The way I understand it, is that Blackhorn 209 will want petroleum based lubes and cleaners; even the website advises against using water.

Boolit Master

You couldn't pay me to use black in a lever gun... Way way to hard to clean. Good luck.

Boolit Master

Even though bh209 is low residue and less fouling..it still requires cleaning and real good cleaning and lever guns are hard to take apart to clean

Boolit Buddy
    1st, what is this 45 LC you speak of... I only know of a cartridge named the 45 Colt. There used to be a 45 Colt Government, the so-called Short Colt... but there was never a Long Colt. Well, except for the 41 & 38 versions...

As for BH209, yes you can use it in a Rossi 92, but... tearing one down to clean after BP is a royal pain. That why I save the BP and subs for use in my '73s or 1860 leverguns... much simpler to dis- and reassemble. As I understand, BH209, Shockley's Gold and American Pioneer Powder can all use petroleum based lubes without their fouling turning to a hard scale, unlike real BP.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

BH209 is back on the market for a whopping $79.99 for 8 ounces now instead of the original 10 ounces! Now, I'm not a cheap skate and I love to use that powder, but I am not paying $180.00 a pound to do so. Just my opinion. Dr.C

Man, smokeless sounds so much easier, is more accurate, less cleaning, even more authentic in lever. I shoot bp in a converted cap and ball and like it. But it is set up for it. You get frosting in barrel less shine, lower resale. Not that it matters to me. 209 primers are different. God bless you.

Banned
    My opinion is use Triple Seven. Hell of a lot more powerful then then BP and all the other substitutes. It also hardly leaves any fouling, is easy to clean, and noways near as corrosive then all the rest. Believe it or not I can push 200 grain swc cast bullet (meant for 45acp) from my Ruger Old Army Cap n Ball approaching nearly 1200 fps. I haven't tried a 255 cast bullet in my 45 LC Winchester carbine. Anyways that is what I would use 777.