Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: S&W rebound spring housing I WAS WRONG

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

S&W rebound spring housing I WAS WRONG

Well, what more can I say. I WAS WRONG! After a couple of fellows responded that possibly it was a MIM part, I took one of them apart again and checked with a magnet. Yup, it's steel. It was so smooth and black and shiny I immediately assumed plastic. So, that's what I get for being too quick on the trigger, pun intended, plus being paranoid about the use of crap material in some of the new guns. I have had a lot of faith in S&W for about 50 years now and keep expecting the worst. Naughty me.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Whew...I know S&W quality was going down the tubes, but plastic was just too much.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought something couldn't be right. The trigger lever is still metal and would bore into the rebound slide if it was plastic.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Should outta edit the original post to say so… S&W deserves to have that error corrected in the headline.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Well, what more can I say. I WAS WRONG! After a couple of fellows responded that possibly it was a MIM part, I took one of them apart again and checked with a magnet. Yup, it's steel. It was so smooth and black and shiny I immediately assumed plastic. So, that's what I get for being too quick on the trigger, pun intended, plus being paranoid about the use of crap material in some of the new guns. I have had a lot of faith in S&W for about 50 years now and keep expecting the worst. Naughty me.
    MIM parts can be magnetic and they have been used in the firearm industry since at least the 70's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I thought something couldn't be right. The trigger lever is still metal and would bore into the rebound slide if it was plastic.
    In the last Industrial Job I had...some years ago, On most Machines, a Steel gear against a Plastic gear... years of Service, and the steel showed considerable wear, vs the plastic running against it... but... those were gears..

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for clearing it up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by racepres View Post
    In the last Industrial Job I had...some years ago, On most Machines, a Steel gear against a Plastic gear... years of Service, and the steel showed considerable wear, vs the plastic running against it... but... those were gears..
    I have seen some plastic parts on the interior of motorcycle engines. Nobody complains about them.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Should outta edit the original post to say so… S&W deserves to have that error corrected in the headline.
    I did.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Whether a plastic part can be serviceable depends entirely on the service. The trigger return spring housing has a steel spring rubbing along inside a tunnel while being forced rearward against the spring by a roughly 1/16 inch diameter steel rod that has a rounded tip. IIRC, the stock spring is about 15 lbs. Take a 2d nail, round the tip, and repeatedly place a 15 pound load on the head while resting the point on a piece of plastic. You will see displacement. It won't take many repetitions either. Even a high dollar Dupont Polyimide simply doesn't have the strength for this sort of application.

Whether plastic parts motorcycle engines, clocks, or copier gears can withstand the loads placed upon them is immaterial.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.