Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Making ML sights VISIBLE in the woods.

Boolit Master

Making ML sights VISIBLE in the woods.

I am an OLD muzzleloader hunter on a 60-acre farm with 30 acres woods. My Hawken flinters are .45, .50 and .54 caliber and my percussion guns are a .50 Hawken and a .54 Renegade. I am age 77 and spent MANY happy hours in the dark woods and want to pass on a bit of my wisdom. I suggest ALL rifle users of iron sights paint white paint on the backside of their front sights to enable the hunters to "find" that front sight in the woods.

Try it, you may like it.

Adam

Boolit Master

Hello Adm! Yes, you're correct, that little dab of white is a huge boon to visibility in the woods,it's worked well for me for 40 years! I use white nail polish, it seems to hold up better. Also, I like to remove the rear sight and put it in my vise with the rear surface facing up. Place two pieces of masking tape so that you have a narrow "post" outlined at the bottom of the "V". Paint that area white also, now your sight picture looks like an upside down exclamation point!
    Last edited by centershot; 04-16-2022 at 02:10 PM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    centershot,

Many thanks for your reply and insight. I have used "White Out" from the old typewriter days, white paint on a Q-tip or any other white paint application. ALL improved sight visibility in the deep woods.
    Be well.

Adam

Boolit Master

I would suspect white appliance touch up paint might stick better and last longer than most.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    At Hobby stores, they sell Glow in the Dark Paint like fingernail polish.
    It works good on the sights , and is basically white.
    But will glow a little to help you see the sights in total darkness.
    I have used it on handguns before.
    It ain't as bright as the Tridium sights.
    But the glow is there if you just happen to need the extra sight picture.

Boolit Master
    I like the glow orange for my pistols. Don't hunt so my rifles have black sights for target use.

Boolit Buddy
    I also paint my front sights with "white out". I go one step further, and cover the white out with bright dayglow orange model paint. it works for me. Shows up real brite in the Northern Wisconsin Woods. I'm 78 so my ole eyes aint what they use to be.

Dave

Boolit Master

It's nice to know that all us "not-so-young" guys are still out there shootin'! Keep yer powder dry, gents!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

With my CVA .32 Cal. Squirrel 24" short barrel I sort of cheated and replaced the traditional wider front sight with a fine bead Fire Sight. I am 70 years old and can see the lit up front sight really well now. Plus, the finer bead allows that little rifle to drill the bullseye at 25 yards every time. Well, at least on the first shot before the bore starts fouling.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I don't stop at white. I do a couple coats white, then a couple coats bright blaze orange. I don't like nail polish. The only thing I found that works is paint. Specifically I use paint markers. I always keep white, orange, and black paint markers around. The black is for when you file down your sight, you can touch up the top if you can't cold blue.

Boolit Master
    I put fiber optic sights on one of my rifles. They work a treat when you're out in the woods, hunting.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, the orange sights work really well on other types of targets as well, which is why my pistols have them.

Boolit Master
    Good tip. I found that using a brass or nickel sight works IF you shape it correctly. I use a flat blade sight and file the plane that faces my eye so that it is roughly at a 45° angle. It acts like a signal mirror and takes light from above and reflects it back at my eye. HOWEVER, I do not polish it like a mirror, I leave it somewhat rough. Now I don't have a problem seeing my front sight, the rear sight on the other hand. . .

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jaque Janaviac View Post
    Good tip. I found that using a brass or nickel sight works IF you shape it correctly. I use a flat blade sight and file the plane that faces my eye so that it is roughly at a 45° angle. It acts like a signal mirror and takes light from above and reflects it back at my eye. HOWEVER, I do not polish it like a mirror, I leave it somewhat rough. Now I don't have a problem seeing my front sight, the rear sight on the other hand. . .
    I do pretty much the same. I only file the very tip, so I see a square of bright when I look at a sight.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I put fiber optic sights on one of my rifles. They work a treat when you're out in the woods, hunting.
    me too!!!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I do pretty much the same. I only file the very tip, so I see a square of bright when I look at a sight.
    That's what I started with. Then I began to wonder what happens when the lighting situation changes and say you have a bright sunny day and the sun is low on the horizon? I didn't want the little bevel to show up bright under one circumstance, then in another have the other plane brighter. So I settled on making it one, big, surface. It shows up as just like any partridge sight - only bright. Maybe I'm putting all that effort in for nothing though.

Boolit Master
    Sorry about the orientation. I can't figure out why this happens since the photo is oriented correctly when I see it on my end.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201221_071955.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	299396

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201221_072109.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	299397

Boolit Master
    Being the same age as you Adam Helmer. If you recall T/C back in the early 80's sold a florescent red front sight as a accessory item fitting their current side locks all but the Senca and Cherokee. (I think?) I purchased a half dozen of those Red sights at that time and have mounted 3 and squirreled away the rest. Red florescent in the woods works for me. Color White I found is easier to pick up in my eyes after dark. Now if I were hunting in a patch of Balsam with big heavy green bows no doubt a white front sight would be the cats meow in those situations.