MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Bullet molds for 40-65 and 45-70

Boolit Bub

Bullet molds for 40-65 and 45-70

Since I picked up two new rifles I am looking for bullet molds for them. Specially looking for a lyman 410663 for the 40-65 or any other make of mold that is the same bullet, I understand other molds are made of this bullet. Also open to suggestions. Looking for 40-65 and 45-70 bullet molds. Our local BPCR club matches are out to 600 yards. The rifles I am shooting are a Pedersoli 1874 sharps 40-65 and a Shiloh Sharps 1874 long range express in 45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Check out Buffalo Arms 409400 molds for your 40-65.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/catalogs...t/?q=409+money
    Last edited by hawkenhunter50; 04-15-2022 at 10:45 PM.

I may still have my mold for my .40-65 rifle. I will check and get back to you.
    I shot long distance matches with the bullet for several decades.

Boolit Master
    I picked up an NOE 412400 .412 dia sized .410 400 gr for my .40-65 and it loves it in my .45-70's I use an Arsenal 460330 which is a copy of lymans 330gr 457122 Gould bullet but without the hollow point but I'm thinking about going to NOE's 461540 which is a improved Postell design 540gr. The 460330 shoots great in my Shiloh's but the NOE is a larger dia so I have a better fitting bullet for my trapdoor.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 04-15-2022 at 11:17 PM. Reason: @#$% spellcheck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkenhunter50 View Post
    Check out Buffalo Arms 409400 molds for your 40-65.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/catalogs...t/?q=409+money
    +!, I have the M4 version of that money bullet and it shoots very well in my Browning BPCR .
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Master
    I can't tell you what works in a Pedersoli .40-65, but for the Shiloh .45-70 I can recommend the BACO 458535M1. It works well in all of my .45 cal Shiloh rifles as well as a few non-Shiloh rifles.

Chris.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Boogan1. I believe I know you. I'm Daezee (Bruce) on the GCGF. We've bought some estate stuff off each other. Anyway, from another estate I was given a Lyman 410660 mould, a 385gr 40-65 boolit. It's in nice condition. If you want it, it's yours at no charge, just paying it forward. Please look that number up and let me know. It seems some people like it and other prefer the 410663. I've never shot a 40 cal BPCR, so can't give you personal experience, other than the "price" is right.

Boolit Grand Master

In 40-65 I have 3 moulds currently 1) lyman 400 grn postell style it shoots very well in my rifle. 2) a 400 grn nasa from Bernie Rowels at Old west moulds it performs very well and shoos a little flatter. 3) is a baco mould that is a 425 grn paper patched bullet. performs well and again is a little flatter shooting than the lyman.

In 45-70 I have several good moulds that perform well and cast well. 1} Lyman 510 govt tound nose a solid performer that does well. 2) the lymn 535 postell, a very good shooting bullet in my rifles 3) A Steve brooks adjustable PP mould that really performs when set to 545 grns 4) a Old west moulds by Bernie Rowels 550 grn silhouette bullet. This is a really solid performer and hits the rams hard. I use it a lot in the 45-90.

I normally shoot as cast and grease grooves are lubed with SPG or emmerts improved over Black powder. The paper patched are usually over a grease cookie of SPG or emmers improved and wrapped in cole 55 paper. I wrap tailless and lube the patch lightly with JoJoBa oil.

Boolit Bub
    Just got a baco 410410m3 for my browning bpcr and it shoots lights out. The browning does have apex. .200 of freeborn so I'm getting 67 grains of one 2f with about .185 of compression after a 3'
    Drop tube. The first band is reduced. This mould was designed by Wayne mclarin. Author of of browning bpcr book.

Boolit Bub
    Bruce, Yes, we know each other and I will take you up on that mold. Thank you very much! You should come out and shoot BPCR with us at Element range in Holt. We usually shoot the first sunday of the month but I think there was a conflict for may and we are shooting the third sunday. I will shoot you a text to arrange picking up the mold.

Boolit Mold
    I also have shiloh long range i have used a hoch 500gr nose pour for the last 3 season.I recently bought the lee 459/500 to play with it out shoots the hoch bootlet im useing 65gr by weight 3f swiss .060 wad comp .100 lubed with SPG this load in my rifle shoots moa or less if i do my part i use a blow rube between shoots good luck
    Happy Easter
    God Bless

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by vhntr1 View Post
    I also have shiloh long range i have used a hoch 500gr nose pour for the last 3 season.I recently bought the lee 459/500 to play with it out shoots the hoch bootlet im useing 65gr by weight 3f swiss .060 wad comp .100 lubed with SPG this load in my rifle shoots moa or less if i do my part i use a blow rube between shoots good luck
    Happy Easter
    God Bless
    Thank you I will give that one a try.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vhntr1 View Post
    Happy Easter
    God Bless
    have you shot that LEE 459-500 at longer ranges I have several of those molds aquired over the years - each one drops a boolit a little different shape (and weight) - shoots great at shorter distances 100 - 300 yards but if there is any wind at all it gets the wobbles between 400 - 500 yard mark - I think would not take much change of shape to put it right. Just interested if you have got it working out at distance?

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	371DDEPP100ydgroup1535.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	299137
    How about this bullet: BACO Jim#403380E
    group is at 100yds. keeps minute to sub minute to "way out there"
    It shoots lights out to 1K in my 40-65 HiWall/16 twist over 74.5 gr Swiss 1.5
    beltfed/arnie

Follow what Arnie has indicated , I fell into the Dual Diameter bullets on accident with a eBay mould I knew nothing about that I bought. It was listed as a 45-70 bullet mould with no numbers , it was a pointy bullet in iron for $60.00. Turned out to be a Steve Brooks ‘Pointy’ G.G. bullet mould ,base of the bullet cast @ .460” the rest of the bullet to the ojive @ .450” . Then loaded them up with 82 grs ,of O.E. 1.5 250” compression .60 LDPE wad to see how much I could get in the case without excessive compression. It will almost drop one after another into the same hole at amazingly all ranges out to the Ram line. It was suggested the rifle like the .460” diameter better than .459” by a significant margin . The .460” happens to be the same diameter of a fired case from my Shiloh. Same experience with a Steve Brooks D.D. G.G. Money Bullet for my Shiloh 40-70 SS ,again a measured fired case mouth @410” is a slip fit into the case and nothing else done to hold the bullet just a nice snug fit.

Boolit Master

+1 for what Mr. Bohannon said. Steve Brooks molds are right on par with Miha’s, Accurate, NOE etc except he specifically makes molds for what you are looking for. He’s also very easy to talk to! You can find him here:

https://brooksmoulds.com/

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell