Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Update for 28 Gauge Magtech Brass

Update for 28 Gauge Magtech Brass

Gents,
    I wanted to post an update on my experiments with Magtech Brass in 28 Gauge using smokeless powder. As suggested in my recent post I am using Longshot powder and circle fly cards and wads. My first attempt was a blooper and it appeared that I needed more powder and that I needed more pressure. I did get pretty good results from my last load listed below:

Magtech 28 Gauge brass
    Magnum pistol primer
    14 grains Longshot
    2 nitro cards
    Fiberwad
    3/4 oz shot
    Overshot card
    Water glass seal

I am open to any suggestions to improve shot pattern and range.
    Thanks

Get rid of the water glass seal. It can blow the pattern. Been there,wasted that. A light coating of a wax on the over the shot wad is all that is needed.
    I used to melt a beeswax or paraffin and dunk the OSW and shake off the excess wax to a thin coat left on the wad for use in the fall/winter hunts. For the dry summer, not at all.
    Forceps work great for this to be done. You can wax 50 of them in under ten minutes. I put the "wet" ones on wax paper and allowed to cool. You can also use a glass eye-dropper that has been warmed up close to the melted wax temp and drop wax onto the OSW and roll the case around to distribute the wax evenly on the wad. I did not care for the results but it does work as well.
    I do a partial roll crimp of the mouth of the shell. Very easy to do with a hand operated roll-crimper for paper /plastic shells with the addition of a very light coating of the case mouth with Hornandy's Unique Case Lube. Very good results are had. Mt roll-crimper was made in France and is adjustable for case length.
    The .28 Ga round is one of the fastest cartridges for a shot gun ever made. Load for that speed and you will be happy with the results.
    With the thinner brass shell a greater volume is at hand and the plastic case loads will be safe to use.
    I shoot a lot of .28 GA for Skeet and Sporting Clays as well as bird hunting, and it is one of my favorite gauges.
    I shoot the 3/4 sized Winchester 101 over/under and love it.