Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything is nuts!

Everything is nuts!

Until fairly recently it was pretty easy to buy and sell firearms and such online. Now it's a total drag. Armslist committed suicide by charging to list last year. I'd say it has about 10% of what it used to. Dead zone.

Gunbroker used to be fun, as you would usually win whatever you bid on for a reasonable price (like if you bid the MSRP on something used). Now it's a bunch of hosers putting minimum bids at multiples of the MSRP or sniping wars. That 15 minute is dumb. Just count on an auction never ending when it was supposed to.

For what it's worth it seems the S&S section here is still good, but never the size of something like GB or Armslist. Are there any alternatives out there I am overlooking? What do folks like and dislike?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Anymore when I get the new gun urge, I figure it will just be an enjoyable exercise in touring the gun shops. Being retired, it's an enjoyable way to spend my time, and I'm in no hurry to end the hunt. This week I came across a Ruger GP100 Match Champion, for a price I couldn't refuse, along with a pound of W296 for another $29.95. No shipping hassle, whole transaction done in ten minutes or less.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Yes sir, it's gone nuts for sure. Waksupi makes a good point though. Sadly, we don't have many shops in my area. I've been considering 'thinning the herd' and setting up at gun shows to do so. Sadly, I've more than I can say grace over in casting and reloading gear. I've entertained the thought when it's time to start moving things, haggling over prices with some guy standing there with a smart phone in his hand, trying to tell me how much he can get one for just like mine 3 states over for a lot less.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

I often perused gunbroker but never registered since I always found better online store pricing on the things I wanted. Then I spotted some used parts I could use so I signed up. That was the first, and last time I bid on anything on GB. I bid what I thought was a bit high, but oh-well I could really use the parts and have the money burning a hole in my pocket. By the last day, the price zoomed to nearly double my max bid and nearly triple by the time it ended. Researched the forums and discovered that was normal procedure so I haven't been on GB since.

Boolit Master
    The gun shows used to be pretty good here in central Texas but a lot of them fell prey to Covid and big dealers were starting to take them over anyway. Forty years ago, individuals would get a row or two of tables and you could find some deals - that scenario is about all gone.

Boolit Master
    yup, prices sure are way up on just about everything. was looking at new revolvers and, well, prices are crazy.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used Guns International with good luck, both selling and buying. I like the flat rate charges.

Shelly
    "EXPERT= Ex is a has been, spurt is a drip under pressure" Unknown

Boolit Master
    I just won't buy a gun without seeing it in person first so the auctions do little for me.

Boolit Buddy
    All the cool milsurp and older sporting rifles dried right up or doubled and trippled in price.
    Mainly just dried up, people are holding onto what they have.

Boolit Grand Master

Armslist got the raw end of a deal. They were hit with a liability lawsuit, and once Biden got in, they have been fighting them since. It was either this, or shut down. Ultimately Armslist is doomed. Like most online gun craigslists, they are hot for a short time, then gone. An example was the Facebook marketplace, until it got shut down.

Gunbroker is the way it always was 49% overpriced junk, usually bid up by idiots. 49% new guns, priced as high as is selling. They are selling hot right now, and prices are what they are. 1% truly unique guns that are worth a lot. 1% good deals. All you can do is keep trying. Gunbroker is one of those things that drives you mad looking for a particular gun, then one day you come across a completely different one, and for some reason it isn't being bid high. I'm not a fan of the 15 minute rule either, but the other option ends up with crybabys who got "sniped" by people who wanted it more.

From what I've found, gun dealers are quite viable right now. Certain new guns are insanely expensive, but there are reasonably priced guns for sale, cheaper than anywhere online, in every gun store I go to.

Boolit Buddy

There's gunsinternational.com, gunauction.com, gunsamerica.com and even cabelas has quite a selection of used guns. Grabagun has good deals on new stuff. The marketplace is upside down right now. Used to be online was way cheaper than LGSs, now it's the opposite. I've bought over 50 new and used guns off Gunbroker, never had a problem. Never overpaid either. Some were great deal, but all were below market prices. I haven't found much there since covid though.

Boolit Master
    Don't forget gunbroker is now also charging a 1% compliance fee to the buyer based on the total purchased price.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Yes sir, it's gone nuts for sure. Waksupi makes a good point though. Sadly, we don't have many shops in my area. I've been considering 'thinning the herd' and setting up at gun shows to do so. Sadly, I've more than I can say grace over in casting and reloading gear. I've entertained the thought when it's time to start moving things, haggling over prices with some guy standing there with a smart phone in his hand, trying to tell me how much he can get one for just like mine 3 states over for a lot less.

Murphy
    Murphy, look him straight in the eye and tell him "Go get it!". Then turn and pick up your coffee cup......
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I changed my email on GB and they wanted to charge me a fee. For what? Nope. Seeya. Too many out in the wild to suffer those idiots. It seems everyone hates guns and hunting these days. Maybe I'm paranoid. Oh, and while I'm on a roll-computers hate me too.
    Looking for USGI M1 and carbine rifle parts, please PM me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    yup, prices sure are way up on just about everything. was looking at new revolvers and, well, prices are crazy.
    Yes, there appear to be more revolver buyers than revolvers. It has been many months since i have seen any deals on GB.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Murphy, look him straight in the eye and tell him "Go get it!". Then turn and pick up your coffee cup......
    That mentaliity has been out there for awhile. Like driving 150 miles to save twenty bucks on a gun.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

Most of the time I can find what I am looking for locally, but sometimes when I am looking for something unusual the online auctions are the only source.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    That's the line I use on people like that ....... and since they don't consider the cost of shipping , of course I will encourage them to spend more money

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Moderator Emeritus

All I can say is, These times are now a seller's market.

Last fall, at the one local gun show, where I have a table at, I usually bring a couple guns I don't want to sell and put some stupid prices on them, just so I can be there and sell some little junk, and also participate with the other show vendors...I always buy more than I sell. Anyway, last fall, some kid wanted my 4" 586 so bad, he paid the stupid price...funny thing is, I kind of miss that gun, I should have put the price a couple hundred higher.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I like the 15 minute rule when I'm selling, not so much when I'm buying.