Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black powder measure?

Boolit Master

Black powder measure?

I need to load a bunch of .45-70 govt loads for sighting in and a match in a month. Will need around 100 rounds.

It's been years since I loaded any BP rounds, and I still have the drop tube, vegetable wads, and 100 cast and lubed 500 grain boolits.

If I remember correctly, I can't use my RCBS powder measure due to it being plastic, and occasionally a grain will get caught in the mechanism and I feel a crunching sensation. That would be very, very bad with black powder.

So, is my only option to slowly pour powder onto the scale until I hit the 65 grains I need?

100 rounds is going to take forever, I fear.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Buddy
    I use a big powder flask like this https://www.amazon.com/Muzzle-loader.../dp/B07WNKJWM9

to fill one of these https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...x/85/1/MAS-120

to close to the weight I need and then trickle in the last little bit.

It's pretty quick process once you get going.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

My standard Redding measure has been dispensing black powder charges for over 30 years with no problem ever. I don't worry about it.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I've loaded tens of thousands of blackpowder rounds with my Lyman DPS 1200 until it finally crapped out and now am using an RCBS charge master.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

The fastest way to set off black powder in your loading room is cleaning it up and run a shop vac under the bench. When the lid pops off you know you found some spilled powder

Boolit Master
    If you don't want to use that powder measure, a cheap set of Lee Dippers will work pretty well. For the first few years I used them and trickled in the few grains. Now I use an MVA measure and the dippers stay in the drawer for the most part.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    I've used my Lee powder dispenser quite a lot for black powder.

Boolit Grand Master

Several ways to go about this.

1) make a dipper a grain or 2 short and use it to pre weigh charges close. A case can be sacrificed for the dipper.
    A case rough cut to length then use your trimmer to finish to charge weight. A length of heavy copper wire for a handle when done.

2) Your RCBS measure with a ground strap or the plastic hopper replaced with a brass or aluminum tube

3) one of the lymann Hornady or other BP dedicated measures

$) I use a Belding and Mull measure with giid results. They can be found fairly reasonable at times.

Boolit Master
    Static can’t set off BP.

This old urban legend needs to be put to bed permanently.

https://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml...ks/sparks.html

Kenny W

I use my Lee dippers to get in the ballpark and tap the rest onto the scale. Sometimes I even get it perfect on the first toss.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    Static can’t set off BP.

This old urban legend needs to be put to bed permanently.

https://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml...ks/sparks.html

Kenny W
    Thanks! I have an old Lee powder measure that doesn't get grains caught in it, so will use it
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Mold
    I agree with Kenny ive been using a hornady for years with no problems. There are a lot of articles out there about setting bp. And it's not as easy as you think.

I been using my old orange Lyman 55 for near 40 years, never an issue.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    The fastest way to set off black powder in your loading room is cleaning it up and run a shop vac under the bench. When the lid pops off you know you found some spilled powder

First hand experience?

Boolit Master

Made 50 match worthy rounds tonight. Took me 3 hours. Why? Because the Lee powder measure is so wildly inconsistent that I had to weigh every charge and adjust accordingly before dropping it down the drop tube.

Here are 4 charges in a row. I was trying to get 65 grains. I did not touch the adjustment for any of these pulls...

Attachment 299140

Attachment 299141

Attachment 299142

Attachment 299143

So, it went slow, but they are done.

Attachment 299144

I have two different brands of cases; Winchester and ones marked "F-P". The difference in case capacity between the two is enormous, with the Winchester case on the left having much more capacity...

Attachment 299145

Both loads are obviously compressed, but I wonder how much difference the POI will be between the two rounds based on one being much more compressed?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Made 50 match worthy rounds tonight. Took me 3 hours. Why? Because the Lee powder measure is so wildly inconsistent that I had to weigh every charge and adjust accordingly before dropping it down the drop tube.

Here are 4 charges in a row. I was trying to get 65 grains. I did not touch the adjustment for any of these pulls...

Attachment 299140

Attachment 299141

Attachment 299142

Attachment 299143

So, it went slow, but they are done.

Attachment 299144

I have two different brands of cases; Winchester and ones marked "F-P". The difference in case capacity between the two is enormous, with the Winchester case on the left having much more capacity...

Attachment 299145

Both loads are obviously compressed, but I wonder how much difference the POI will be between the two rounds based on one being much more compressed?
    two grain spread about normal in dipper measured charges until you get a good system of tapping/ vibrating to settle the charge - I dont have a LEE measure but guessing its aluminium ? BP seems to kinda stick to AL also if the powder chamber is longish works against you . Can improve this by running some powdered graphite through the measure so to coat all the surfaces in contact with powder then clean the surplus graphite out (even helps with cut measures like a shortened case). I think you would need a specially good measure and good technique to get dropped charges inside half a grain - does it matter - chronygraph will tell that tale - if you get ES down respectable yre good

Sounds like you need to keep an eye open for a Belding & Mull measure. They are the deal when it comes to precision throwing black powder charges. MVA makes a version of it if you have a lot of money to spend.

Boolit Grand Master

Try wrapping a dryer sheet around the measure at the hopper drum junction. It may help with the cling and flow. Im not familiar with the lee measure but my bp tubes for the Belding and Mulls I made have a cupped face in them this helps a lot.

You might also try one or two light "bumps" on the handle when filling the cavity to settle the powder in. The lee hoppers arnt as big but a baffle may improve things also. these can be cut from a plastic pop bottle to regulate the powder on the drum when filling.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Sounds like you need to keep an eye open for a Belding & Mull measure. They are the deal when it comes to precision throwing black powder charges. MVA makes a version of it if you have a lot of money to spend.
    I am using ungraphited powder (more tricky again in measures) dont mind time in the loading room these days and so I am fine with weighing charges for the bigger cases, best investment for ages was a little digital jewellery scale off fleabay - its about three times quicker than the balance beam - and dead accurate so far - was about 25 bucks landed in my mail box.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast