Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: The 9mm AR

Boolit Grand Master

The 9mm AR

I don’t think there is a rifle more fun to shoot, and more of a pain to clean than the 9mm AR. The blowback action fills the receiver with carbon that mixes with any oil and bakes into coal. Sometimes it feels like I spend as much time fabricating scrapers from old brass and chiseling coal out of impossible nooks and crannies as I did shooting.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Mine has been collecting dust for months. I should take it out soon.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Man
    Yeah, but the fun outweighs the work to clean.......what a blast they are to shoot!!!! Just rip it apart and soak everything a few days when you have time.....if you really want to see dirty, slap a suppressor on it!!!!

Boolit Master
    Yes, the can does stack it up. Have you tried a little Carb cleaner with that red tube stuck in up and around there and a nylon brush?

Boolit Grand Master

Ed's Red by the quart, bronze toothbrushes, Choreboy, and the aforementioned cartridge brass scrapers. On the up side, the bore is squeaky clean.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master

Try cleaning an HK sometime.

Nice thing about an AR is its guts are pretty accessible. I'd be inclined to run a blowback version pretty wet with CLP so I'd be wiping sludge rather than chiseling out baby diamonds.

My Ruger PCC is not nearly so easy to get into - the good news is it doesn't appear to be fussy. I've concluded that carbon will only deposit in large amounts in places where there is no moving part shoving it away. Yes, the weight of your carbine may gradually increase as carbon builds up in the "dead spaces", but stoppage due to excessive crud seems like it'll be a long way off - think of all the totally functional Nylon 66's and 10/22's that have probably NEVER been apart.

If a chisel is needed, best thing I've found for the task is to strip the end off some solid core copper wire, pound it flat, and clip the end to whatever shape is desired.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I don’t think there is a rifle more fun to shoot, and more of a pain to clean than the 9mm AR. The blowback action fills the receiver with carbon that mixes with any oil and bakes into coal. Sometimes it feels like I spend as much time fabricating scrapers from old brass and chiseling coal out of impossible nooks and crannies as I did shooting.
    You think that's dirty? Try suppressed, it's double the work cleaning the gun & your face...
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

This sounds like a silly thing to say, but I feel that converting an AR into a 9mm carbine seems to be more work that it is worth to accomplish. You basically have to start from scratch with a great deal of proprietary parts to get to something with a familiar form factor, with a lot less of the compatibility that the AR platform strives for. It's not my speed, personally.

they do look really cool, though!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    This sounds like a silly thing to say, but I feel that converting an AR into a 9mm carbine seems to be more work that it is worth to accomplish. You basically have to start from scratch with a great deal of proprietary parts to get to something with a familiar form factor, with a lot less of the compatibility that the AR platform strives for. It's not my speed, personally.

they do look really cool, though!
    What a silly thing to say!

Buy one, put a dot on it and take it to a falling steel plate match. It might just become your speed.

I have a 9mm AR, but it's gas operated. Doesn't get too dirty, I'm shooting pc boolits with it. I had a Tec-9 pistol years ago. 9mm blow back. Fun gun to shoot, very accurate, and it came apart easily making it easy to clean. It wasn't much good for anything but a range toy, so I sent it down the road.
    Deplorable infidel

Buy one, put a dot on it and take it to a falling steel plate match. It might just become your speed.
    EXACTLY!! My 9mm AR is a ton of fun.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I'm not against a 9mm carbine at all, but one built from an AR seems more trouble than it's worth. Might as well get a 9mm carbine that was built from the ground up as such. Those Beretta CX Storms are quite neat looking, and I've heard they take Beretta mags!

Boolit Master
    If you think a 9mm AR gets dirty fast, try a .22LR AR. Talk about an upper receiver full of carbon, grit, and carp!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Buddy
    Wait, you’re supposed to clean them?…
    Last edited by Wheelgun; 04-25-2022 at 11:43 PM.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelgun View Post
    Wait, you’re supposed to clean them?…

Boolit Master
    Having assembled a pistol and rifle initially for toys but finding they could be used for more if needed and be a very effective tool in certain scenarios. Both have run flawlessly (other than getting dirty fast, really fast canned) and have real confidence in both platforms. Option, pop two pins, pull the mag well adapter and I have two ready to go lowers with H3 buffers that run just fine under high gas, short barrel hearing destroyers. What's not to like?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VariableRecall View Post
    Might as well get a 9mm carbine that was built from the ground up as such. Those Beretta CX Storms are quite neat looking, and I've heard they take Beretta mags!
    Yep! Got one wIth a prism sight on it, runs my 92 mags, and it's fun fun fun! It sure does eat up ammo fast though! O, and it's one push pin to disassembly.