Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Cleaning cartridges for my collection

Boolit Master

Cleaning cartridges for my collection

I started my cartridge collection about 30 years ago, but it has been stagnant for a very long time. In the past few years I've been adding to it, but now as I am prepping my spot for my new reloading room build, I am wanting to resume my collecting and display my cartridges.

What's the best way to clean up and get rid of the tarnish on these rounds? Most of mine are nothing special so that's of no concern, but I would like for them to be nice. Anything other than corncob in the tumbler?

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I personally keep my meager collection as is. I like the verdigris and age that mine show.
    But it depends on what you collect! If I was collecting mid 20th century and newer - I would probably clean them up!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    I started my cartridge collection about 30 years ago, but it has been stagnant for a very long time. In the past few years I've been adding to it, but now as I am prepping my spot for my new reloading room build, I am wanting to resume my collecting and display my cartridges.

What's the best way to clean up and get rid of the tarnish on these rounds? Most of mine are nothing special so that's of no concern, but I would like for them to be nice. Anything other than corncob in the tumbler?

I have but a few real oldies and most have those sections/spots of corrosion which make them "collector-only" ammo. An old sage suggested I do two wet/s s pin tumbles on these. To wit, the first as "normal" with Dawn and Lem'nShine. Then, after all in tumbler is rinsed well, follow with a repeat tumble using ZERO! Lem'nShine and Dawn, but instead a couple of cap-fulls of Armor All Wash n Shine car wash. This (purportedly?) puts a zero-permeable wax layer on the treated brass to both make it as attractive as one might, as well as retard further deterioration.
    Sadly, just from age/chemistry it is -- as demonstrated in my cases -- not a total solution to keep brass "factory new" -- BUT, compared with some old stuff I did not so treat -- the results surely made the efforts worthwhile.
    A buddy -- mostly into Civil War era stuff -- puts his similarly cleaned brass items in glass canning jars of which he displaced as much air as he might with Nitrogen, which apparently works, too.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

A case holder like Lee uses with their case gauge trimmer and about any automotive polish will work.

Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish and a cloth works well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220330_064758434_HDR~3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	299139

Boolit Master
    I just use acetone. It will clean but not polish.

Boolit Grand Master
    I know it's your collection but a word of advice here. If you tumble the live cartridges, there is a possibility that the powder within will be altered by breaking down into smaller kernels. Means nothing if they stay in your collection, but if they make it out and somebody goes to shoot one of them, there is a possibility that the burn rate will be faster and pressures higher. I suspect there is a zero chance of one of them going off in the tumbler and that is not something I'd be concerned with. Steel wool & Kroil, Flitz, or some other cleaner would be the way I'd go. Good luck.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I know it's your collection but a word of advice here. If you tumble the live cartridges, there is a possibility that the powder within will be altered by breaking down into smaller kernels. Means nothing if they stay in your collection, but if they make it out and somebody goes to shoot one of them, there is a possibility that the burn rate will be faster and pressures higher. I suspect there is a zero chance of one of them going off in the tumbler and that is not something I'd be concerned with. Steel wool & Kroil, Flitz, or some other cleaner would be the way I'd go. Good luck.
    Good point, 725! After the Brit's got defeated by running out of ammo (Zulu Wars) they apparently went the other way, having the Land Rovers over-stocked. It was quickly learned that this ammunition, bouncing over God knows how many kilometers of rough, unpaved terrain, quite often actually blew up a good many rifles if/when fired. I recall a large sign advising of this in a Bannerman's store above some of this (then surplus) ammo they were selling indicating it was for break down/components and/or display only -- no longer safe to shoot.
    geo

Boolit Master
    All good advice. I have some Flitz I will try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    georgerkahn -

Great info! I never heard that story. Makes sense to me. I'm not up on my old Brit ammo stuff. My only exposure was to some .303 loaded with cordite. Looked like spaghetti to me. Thanks for the info. 725

I drive a '65 Land Rover Series 2a on crappy Sacramento, CA roads, it makes perfect sense to me.

Boolit Master
    Fine steel wool?