RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bear Gun Shootout: 10mm vs .44 Mag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 454PB View Post
    Here's pictures of a Montana game warden that killed a 500 pound Grizzly with a .357 magnum to save his own life:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...fieldandstream
    yikes!
    I remember the story, first time seeing the pics.

Boolit Master
    That's why it's called hunting! Just watched "Tracks Across Africa" again last night, can't stop watching a certain episode. A guy shoots a Cape Buffalo with a "fatal" shot at 24 yds with a 450 gr bullet from a 416 rifle, then shoots it again with another "fatal" shot that blows that heart in half, it still charges & he shoots it in the face at 3 feet, yikes! And he falls over to the side as the Cape Buffalo blasts past him & flips his buddy way up in the air & the PH shoots it twice with 2 "fatal" shots from his 470 double rifle & the bull keeps running another 25-30 yds before piling up!
    They looked down on me for hunting with a Ruger 45 revolver in Africa & even more so for using cast bullets over there. I shot Nyala, Zebra, Cape Buffalo, Kudu & Gemsbuck, 5 animals with 6 shots.... go figure.
    Dick

Boolit Master
    A perfect explanation of why the caliber of gun matters less than the conditions.

A charging animal is not the same as a stationary or 'bluffing' one. The second case a body shot of any type is probably enough to defuse the situation. A charging animal may take many 'fatal' wounds and still keep coming.

A CNS shot will stop just about any animal, but, the target area is small and a charging animal makes it even harder to hit.

PCP is nothing compared to massive amounts of adrenaline.

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    That's why it's called hunting! Just watched "Tracks Across Africa" again last night, can't stop watching a certain episode. A guy shoots a Cape Buffalo with a "fatal" shot at 24 yds with a 450 gr bullet from a 416 rifle, then shoots it again with another "fatal" shot that blows that heart in half, it still charges & he shoots it in the face at 3 feet, yikes! And he falls over to the side as the Cape Buffalo blasts past him & flips his buddy way up in the air & the PH shoots it twice with 2 "fatal" shots from his 470 double rifle & the bull keeps running another 25-30 yds before piling up!
    They looked down on me for hunting with a Ruger 45 revolver in Africa & even more so for using cast bullets over there. I shot Nyala, Zebra, Cape Buffalo, Kudu & Gemsbuck, 5 animals with 6 shots.... go figure.
    Dick
    Dick, which one took the extra shot?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Hunting an animal that doesn't know you are there is a lot different than trying to protect yourself from a charging bear that has just burst out of the bushes 5 yds away and doing about 30 mph. You will be lucky to get one shot no matter the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    A perfect explanation of why the caliber of gun matters less than the conditions.

A charging animal is not the same as a stationary or 'bluffing' one. The second case a body shot of any type is probably enough to defuse the situation. A charging animal may take many 'fatal' wounds and still keep coming.

A CNS shot will stop just about any animal, but, the target area is small and a charging animal makes it even harder to hit.

PCP is nothing compared to massive amounts of adrenaline.

Hence the reason for my “signature line”! There is no such thing as “overkill” with a conventional cartridge in a conventional shoulder fired long gun, or a conventional handgun! JMHO memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Hunting an animal that doesn't know you are there is a lot different than trying to protect yourself from a charging bear that has just burst out of the bushes 5 yds away and doing about 30 mph. You will be lucky to get one shot no matter the gun.

“C’mon man”…..you know that you can empty the magazine and with “adequate training” reload another mag! memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

And besides most bears nowadays will let you get into a good modified Weaver stance after you get your electronic site turned on before they charge anyways.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    I moved to the 49th state 49 years ago, so I have been a resident of both the states that have no sales tax and no income tax. About 40 years ago my wife and I moved to a small town that sits at the mouth of a wide braided river, not uncommon here. There was a fellow who walked around town with great difficulty - painful to see him. I thought he had some terrible disease, late Parkinson's or something. I was told he was a brown bear victim. He had shot a moose up the river where it was a few miles across. When he returned for the second load of meat the moose had been covered with saplings and brush. He uncovered the meat and in the course of that he was badly mauled. One of the fellows that helped pack him out told me that about 12 guys went back in to pack out gear after getting the mauling victim headed to hospital. Everyone wore a handgun. They were taking a break, undoubtedly a smoke break at that time period, at a camp that sat above the river when they spotted a brown bear running towards them from hundreds of yards out into the braided river. When the bear hit about 100 yards everyone started shooting their handguns, probably lots of .357s and a few .44s at that point in time. Most had time to empty their guns twice. It was a time when everyone shot at just about everything all the time, which is how it was in the state I left and in this state when I arrived. The bear finally fell dead when it reached the bank and started up the bank to them. The fellow telling me the story was a long-time local law official, ambulance driver, and all-round hand. He said the bear may have had as many as 100 rounds in it when it expired. There was no way to determine if that bear had done the mauling. I do not intend this to add anything to the debate about 10 mms, .44s or anything else. However, I have seen some S&W 329s for sale that each had shot only 6 rounds. I carry a 29 that my brother gave me decades ago.

"However, I have seen some S&W 329s for sale that each had shot only 6 rounds. I carry a 29 that my brother gave me decades ago."

Reminds me of a time I had to go up to Nikiski and stopped by the bar(naturally) where the guy's were he-hawing me for taking a dip in the Kenai River with my 629 on and "cooking" it next to the stove to dry it out. A guy sitting next to me said he had a 329 but sold it after a cylinder full of 240 gr. He said he would rather take his chances with the bear!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    YIKES!!!!/Ed

Boolit Mold
    Have travelled the West for many years and worked several seasons in a hunting camp in the Wyoming range. We've seen the big bears but never had a problem with them. Was always a big fan of S&W 29s (still have a 6.5" and two 5")loaded with 320gr. LBTs. However, as we've aged we've found managing the DA trigger at speed to be more difficult every year and putting more than one shot on target in a timely manner (recoil recovery) has gotten much more difficult. So we have switched to the 10mm. We know the 10mm is not a magnum ballistics wise but figure that 10mm 200gr hard cast flat points on target are better than .44 320s that don't hit or worse yet, don't get fired. Here in the Alleghenies we've only got black bears and our woods loafing handguns vary from .32 H&R Mags up to the 10mm; just depends on our mood.

Boolit Master
    My dedicated protection is a Smith 629 Mountain Gun (44 Mag).

I will take the reliability, better bullets and increased power of it over fifteen rounds of lessor power from a 10 mm auto any day ..... particularly when bears do not slow walk at you!

But we live in a free country and you pack what you feel good with and I will do what I feel best at.

As far as the 329 Smith goes, I fired a 4” model with full house and I liked it!

In a “known” bear situation ...... I want a long gun in someone else’s hands three states away and I will read about it! .....

Next is a long gun in my hands. Barring that, my Ruger SRH in 480 Ruger feels better than the 44!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    murf205, I've been away for a couple of days, had eye surgery, getting old! It was the first animal I shot, the Nyala & it was facing me straight on. My practice was to carry a 282 gr HP in the first chamber & back it up with a 308 gr. LBT solid in case I had to take a second shot at a bad angle, knowing that I would get complete or almost complete penetration from any angle.
    The shot was straight down the middle & it was hit really hard & was just walking around in a tight circle on it's tip toes & the PH said to hit it again and I ran the 308 gr solid through it broadside, dropping it straight down.
    Now I need to back up & admit that I shot every animal but the Zebra twice because that's what I was told to do, not that they needed it but because that's pretty much the way they do it over there. The Zebra went down so fast they weren't even sure where it was & it was dead when we walked up to it. The Cape Buffalo, I knocked down with a 325 gr cast that broke the shoulder broadside but missed the off side shoulder & it knocked it down on it's shoulder & it's nose. It stood back up but was really wobbly, ready to go down but again the PH said to hit it again & I ran a 308 gr solid through the ribs and the vitals & it hit the off side shoulder dropping it on all fours, & that's where the skinners found it. When I got back to Idaho that water quenched cast bullet still weighed 308 grs.
    On the Kudu I used the high shoulder shot at 82 yds with a 282 gr HP & got an exit & it dropped straight down, I finished it off with a heart shot when we walked up. On the Gemsbok I used a 250 gr cast in the FA 41 magnum at 56 yds (I think) and again used the high shoulder shot to drop it on the spot, never took a step & the bullet exited. Finished it off with a heart shot. So, you can call it 5 for 6 or you can call it 5 animals with 9 shots.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 04-28-2022 at 12:25 AM.

Boolit Mold
    ..i love the 10 v 44 argument!

.it's only slightly less entertaining than old men arguing over motor oil....

so in 1953 bella twin killed a world record (at that time) griz with a 22 lr. https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bel...#axzz7RrLCEaWf

does that make the 22 rf a viable big bear choice? i mean the kel-tec pmr30 holds 30 rounds of 22 mag - so put the two togetrher - a world record on a rimfire and a mag capacity of 30 - bingo! we have a winner!!

most likely - what you shoot best - is the best for you - and there in lies the rub.

most folks simply don't shoot that much anymore, even when i go to a tree stand with my 308 (or fill in the blank) i have a backup handgun - a gun that here in the virginia/north carolina area doesn't have to be a whole lot simply because we don't have to worry about being charged by crazed bison or ravenous brown bears..

if i were walking thru the woods in the great state of alaska - i'd probably have my little 4" redhawk in 45 colt - because i can shoot that as well or better than some flyweight 44 that is all but uncontrollable.

but that's what works for me.

for others, heck, it just might be that 30 round kel-tec, who knows......

Boolit Grand Master
    .22 long. Gotta love the spirit of an old Cree woman.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    .22 long. Gotta love the spirit of an old Cree woman.
    When it’s all ya got…..you do the best you can!

However, there is zero reason for anyone with a few active active brain cells and a little money to make poor decisions of this magnitude! I would hope that anyone of us would choose a slightly better cartridge! memtb

“LETS GO BRANDON”

She knew what she was doing and I'd guess it wasn't the first bear she shot in the side of the head. You can drop 200 lb feeder pigs in a similar way but its from the top of the head with pigs.

Nerves of steel though, I'd have no problem doing what she says.
    Last edited by pmer; 04-29-2022 at 12:45 PM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

sixshot, well done indeed. I hate to hijack this thread so I will PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast