Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: Mossberg 342K

Boolit Master

Mossberg 342K

I had a Mossberg 342K .22 back in the 70s (forend folds down to form a grip). I moved out West and asked an acquaintance to hold it for me. When I came back (within a year) he would not give it back to me. Oh well.
    I've been looking for one since, and I found one a few months ago at a local shop. Cheap money.
    They weren't serial numbered (made in the late 60s and early 70s). I've only seen the one that I bought in all this time, but it looks like they're pretty common. I'll pretend that the one I recently bought is the one that I lost many years ago.
    Anyone here have one? Great little .22.

Boolit Master

Back about 1958 my brother had one; had the forearm part that folded down into a grip. Great little rifle.

Boolit Master
    I didn't have one with the fold down forearm, mine had a standard stock and loaded from the butt stock. It was in nice condition, accurate and reliable. It furnished a good bit of meat for the pot. Most of the ones I see now are in rough shape.

I have a nice 46B with all the sights, really like it.

Nice to see you found another, hope you enjoy it.

I've seen them with wooden or plastic forends, in both semi auto and bolt action. I never owned one, but a friend sold enough magazine subscriptions through FFA at our school to win one. He was left handed but shot that right handed bolt action well. Maybe the folding forend was for playing like you had a Tommy gun

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

That was my first rifle. My Dad bought it for $15. back in the 50's from someone at work. Mine had the wood forearm, peep sight, adjustable trigger and the bolt handle was the "rootbeer barrel" style. Great little gun.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I don't have the 342K, but i have it's two older brothers: 142-K & 142-A. The "K" indicates open sights & the "A" models came with a guarded front post sight (similar to the .30 cal. carbine) & the rear was a sheet metal aperture (peep). These are very accurate little guns. I gave two of my grand daughters a 142-A each. The 142-K & a 142-A that I currently have will soon belong to two great grandsons (born last year - their sons).

The 142-A was manufactured '49-57
    The 142-K was manufactured '53-'57
    The 342-K was manufactured '58-'71
    Last edited by oldhenry; 04-21-2022 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Additional info