Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found!

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Leon: good to hear about the source of these and also good to hear that you were in on it. These slugs are like anything else we play with,,, Some will get outstanding results, some will get duds. You know how it goes.
    My main reason for buying them was to see if I could duplicate Low End Brenneke Performance. Brenneke Slugs are not easy to Duplicate as they are Swaged, so the fact that someone took the time to make the dies shows some initiative. The only other one I've heard of that got close was Capt. Morgan.

Since all the Brenneke's I've seen were loaded in Rio Hulls just like the ones I got from BPI, I figure it's all about the Powder Charge and Roll Crimp and since I can Roll Crimp as well or better than what Brenneke is doing, I figure I've got a decent chance to get good results. These slugs are .732 on the OD so they should pick up Rifling well.

These slugs cost me .95 each, and the new hulls were about .10 each so the cost of powder will make these about a $1.05 to load. I also just bought 2 boxes of Brenneke KO Slugs for $9.00 a box with Tax so that is $2.00+ each.

Being able to get away from 1650 fps and down in to the Regime I operate in, (1200-1300 fps) should deliver some decent accuracy from my 18" Rifled Mossberg Barrel, and we will see pretty soon.

I think they could be useful as Hunting Rounds and certainly Defensive Rounds. Nobody is going to live thru one of these in the Boiler Room!

The shop I got my Brenneke's from had a sales guy who is the Armorer for the Sea Bees and Coasty's at Port Hueneme. He was telling me that they were only Issued 3"Magnum 00 Buck to train with???!!! . So that is the reason why I saw a whole group of them not having any idea how to run their shotguns. Everyone is shooting Low Recoil Buck and Slugs now, and if you really need to knock out a pick up truck you could do a Shell Select with a 3" shell for one round. When I saw small women getting the snot beat out of them I was really taken aback that their instructors were so Incompetent as to push that. Nobody was learning anything but how much they "didn't" want to be there that day.

I doubt you guys (Marines?)were taught how to run a Combat Shotgun with High based loads? Were you?

Randy
    No sir. The only rounds we worked with in the Mossberg 590A1’s (my favorite combat shotgun) and Benelli M4’s were 95% buckshot, with some speciality door breaching rounds and slugs thrown in the mix. Nothing was 3”, all 2.75”.

As for the Turks, I’m impressed with their ingenuity. One of the guys made a legit rifled slug mold that he sells. A couple guys in my group bought this molds. One even got his FFL and now sells those slugs. I’ll get you a pic in a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a five round box of Brenneke slugs, plus a couple extras that I bought 56 years ago. As I recall there weren’t many rifled slug barrels back then. In fact I thought the idea was the inclined ribs would give the slug some spin, like rifling.

I know that it appears that certain countries seem to generate more Shotgun Fodder than US. I don't know if that is because of gun restrictions or just the availability of guns in general. In Russia It appears that they are limited to worn out AK's, Nagants, or Shotguns and maybe .22 LR Biathlon Rifles?..

Since Turkey has a fairly big Firearms Manufacturing Sector I doubt they have very many restrictions, if any at all. Lots of guns made in Turkey. So maybe that little bit of Freedom is driving their innovation?

Those Copper lookin' slugs are nice looking. They should shoot just fine, especially those "pointy ones."

Italy is way ahead of us in the Shotguns category. I don't know if that is due to gun restrictions, or that they just like shotguns. But Italy is more consumed with producing Art Work than practical items. Their High End Shotguns are the envy of the world and I am told that we never see the really good stuff over here, as it is all consumed by Royalty in Europe.. Their High End Cars are also the envy of the world, and that's not to say anything about their women who are an art form all their own.

I was watching a TV show where they were on the Island of Capri off the coast of Italy. The place is absolutely beautiful, no trash on the ground, no Bums, nothing but beauty everywhere you look.

Then I got to thinking,,, " Hell, they've had 3,000 years to perfect the Art Form, so it will probably take us a while to catch up?" If we ever can before the Commies take us over.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

After working on a number of Italian machines, as well as a Fiat, I can safely say that Italy is NOT ahead of the USA. Fancy? Yes. Good, reliable, functional? NO! I just can't wait to go in monday to work on that Sitma packaging machine.

Of course we all know about the big target shotguns like Perazzi and Berretta, but those are fancy, long lasting target over unders costing $15k or more. They are great, but if I spent that much on a target O/U, I'd be looking at a Kolar. The only Italian brand shotgun I'm really impressed with has been Benelli. They bring a few things to the table for shotguns that we still don't see from the American brands. Low cost isn't one of those.

No low cost is not on the table, however you can get a Beretta O/U for <$2000. Which is about what I paid from my Citori CXS. But what I was saying is that when it comes to Shotgun's and Shotgun Ammo the Italians are well in excess of US. So are the Germans and Russians.

Look at American Slugs, with few exceptions they are all the same Foster Style Slug. Look at all the Italian slugs BPI sells. This new one I found was Turkish not American but where is the biggest market for these products? Good Old USA!.

AS far as working on Italian Cars Been there done that! NO thanks!!!, but it was a pretty thing,,, just didn't run.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Grand Master

I can understand where you are coming from, but it isn't reality if you you really look at it subjectively. Sure, most slugs sold in the USA are a basic rifled foster slug, but not all, especially in shotgun slug only deer states. Who makes the best sabot slugs? USA. Then there are things like Lightfield, fantastic slug. The BRI (now winchester) slug. Even in the reloading market, the ones I've been most impressed with have been AQ slugs, Slugs R US, and Buckbuster, all USA designed and made. I love the German classic Brenneke, but that's the only one I really like. Nothing they have done before or since is worth anything to me. The only Italian slugs I know of are Gulandi (BPI brand), and I'm not happy with them. They might work with lower recoil loads, but beyond that, they are a dead end design as far as I'm concerned. The wads and slug just don't stay together reliably. I'm afraid this Turkish slug will suffer the same fate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Brenneke used to sell slugs for reloading. I know because I still have a box of them somewhere. IIRC, they were 10 in a box.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    Brenneke used to sell slugs for reloading. I know because I still have a box of them somewhere. IIRC, they were 10 in a box.
    Yep, I got about 500-600 total in 12 and 20. Also got a couple hundred of the Vitts Boos slugs too.

OK I finally got around to loading a few of these to shoot. I used Rio Hulls just like Brenneke uses, 23 gr of Unique should develop around 1250 fps. They roll crimped perfectly.

The Brenneke loaded slug which is similar to the Turkish one has a lot more powder in it than mine does. Mine measure 2.3" OAL on the nose.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2281.jpg   IMG_2280.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-06-2022 at 04:36 PM.

Boolit Man
    What load data are you using for those slugs?
    I recently bought a bad of 100 chedite primed hulls and 100 brenneke slugs at a gun show and I would love to find some data to load them.
    Mine do not have a plastic wad but a paper and felt wads screwed to the base of the slug.

Boolit Grand Master

That is a good find! I am jealous!

At least one of my Lyman shotshell reloading manuals has load data for Brenneke classic slugs and I think I have a legible copy of Brenneke classics slug recipes supplied by Brenneke. I'll have to do some digging. I downloaded scanned images from an internet site for that... could even have been Cast Boolits.

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Please post accuracy results for those Brenneke slugs!

Longbow

They got 23 gr of Unique . This is a Lite Load from Sabot Technologies and it proved to be very accurate with STI Slugs with my Brass Inserts. The payload here is a little lighter but this load is so far down the power/velocity scale it has to be safe. YMMV

In the pic above the Yellow one is a Factory Loaded Brenneke 1 oz. slug running 1550 ish FPS. The slugs themselves are virtually identical. You can see how the payload is higher in the hull due to a much larger Powder Charge.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I recently bought a bad of 100 chedite primed hulls and 100 brenneke slugs at a gun show and I would love to find some data to load them.
    Mine do not have a plastic wad but a paper and felt wads screwed to the base of the slug.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post

Have have a couple older lymans I got my data from. Let me know if you want me to look it up. I love 4756 for it.

Boolit Grand Master

I'll start with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR8giMHggps

It is a Youtube video where the fellow shows the loading data. I took a bunch of screen shots to record it but I just looked and the file is 13 megs so BIG! You are better off to watch the video and take your own screen shots as he goes through the data.

I just saved my Word File to PDF and now it is only 1.3 megs so much smaller. I can't post it but will send as an e-mail attachment if you want. PM your e-mail address to me then I will send the file.

Seems to me I also copied a Brenneke load data sheet someone else posted. I'll try to find that too... as I was looking I seem to recall that the scan was poor and much difficult to read so I may have deleted that one since I got the info from the video.

I'll scan what I have in the Lyman manuals then post that tomorrow.

Would you please weigh those Brenneke Classic slugs then post the weight?

IIRC they run about 490 grs. but I do know that my Lyman manuals just say "Brenneke Slug" and don't list weight which seems odd to me.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    I have some of the same slugs; they are boxes of 10 each w/ little plastic 2 piece rings for the crimp. Also includes loading date. I will try and get a pic of the data and post it here. Started a post sometime ago on these, will try and find it.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Would you please weigh those Brenneke Classic slugs then post the weight?

IIRC they run about 490 grs. but I do know that my Lyman manuals just say "Brenneke Slug" and don't list weight which seems odd to me.

Longbow
    Sorry for the late reply, I have been really busy and have not had a chance to get on here in a while.

The ones I have, they weigh, on average around 470 grains. That is the slug, wad, and screw. If you remove the screw and wads, and weigh just the bare lead slug by itself, it is 420 grains.
    I have watched that video before. Sadly I am not sure how much use that data is, as it simply says "plastic hull" and "paper hull". I would be to afraid to use that data with any random plastic hull I find.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Thanks, I saved that picture. Sadly I do not have any fed hulls or any of those powders.
    It sucks those SR powders are no longer made, as I see them in every load data for pretty much everything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast