RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found!

Look what I found!

Well guys Look what I found. BPI has these new Brenneke Lookin' 1 oz. Slugs in stock right now. They are made in Turkey. $19 for 20 of them so .95 each I got 40 just to try out.

I have been a fan of Brenneke Slugs since I first saw them a few years ago. I called them and asked if the sold just the slugs for reloaders. Answer was not NO,,, but Hell NO!

Well apparently someone figured it out that maybe someone would like something like the Brenneke's to use in a handloaded round that maybe wasn't as stout as even the lightest Brenneke loads.

The Wad assembly is Part of the slug and there is a Red Star on the nose of the slug which is purported to be a Hollow Point. They measure .732 across the lands so they should shoot very well out of a Rifled Barrel.

I'll probably load these into new Rio Hulls since that is what Brenneke loads their slugs into. And they should work great in my new 18.5" Rifled Barrel on the Monkeyberg or the Smoothbore Barrel with the Rifled Choke Tube.!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2246 (1).jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	298971

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2247 (1).jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	298972

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

OK, so is Brenneke going to lose their minds over this or do you think they'll even care? Their patent surely has expired by now I would think.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

How solid is that wad attached? That has been the killer of all of these tail wad slugs like the DSG, Thug Slug, Russian slugs, or even Brenneke themselves with certain slugs like the KO. Simple push in wads just don't stay attached.

It is a push in wad but it is fairly tight in the hole. The spigot is cylindrical not tapered. All of the Slug/Wad separations I have seen on Youtube have been due to being pushed too hard. The STI Sabots produced abysmal results because the guys were running the at 1600 + FPS, but my 1200 fps loads produced Rifle Accuracy From my Auto 5.

We'll see with these and I am not beyond gluing them in with JB Weld if necessary. I should be able to make something happen with 40 of them to play with.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Master

Keep us updated on how they work.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Call me cheap but at a buck apiece they may not sell many. But then at that price they may not have to...LOL.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Call me cheap but at a buck apiece they may not sell many. But then at that price they may not have to...LOL.
    The non reloading Joe is paying that for .30-30 ammo.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Grand Master

The best component slug I have loaded is still the AQ slug. They are only $0.72 each too:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/AQ...info/0151000L/

If you haven't tried them you should!

I can't say they are better than the Turkish slugs but I can say they shot very well for me and they are relatively inexpensive.

AQ's are the slugs I have been trying to duplicate with my home cast slugs and attached tailwads.

Longbow

Usually BPI sells slugs in packages of 25 ea for around $18-19. These came in a plastic card package like so many things now and were hard to open. Since I doubt anyone will shoot that many of these or use them strictly for Hunting I don't think .95 ea. will be that big a hurdle for a concerned shotgunner.

I was mainly interested because of the Brenneke styling, and since Capt. Morgan is the only one I've seen that had made anything like these I wanted to try them. I have tried every other thing that BPI Sells, DGS, Thugs, AQ's, Thunderbolts, and whereas they all worked OK, none of them approached my STI Non Toxic Slugs For accuracy and most of them wouldn't even get close to plain Federal Low Recoil 1oz slugs which in normal times are about $1 a shot for 'loaded ammo."

Something new to try. I will be loading some of them up to test out in my Shortened Rifled Barrel and Rifled Choke Tube on both my short M500's. I shot both of those guns at my recent Shotgun Class at Front Sight but only got to shoot Slugs thru the Gray House Gun with Vang Comped Barrel. It did well with the Federal Low Recoil Factory Slugs shot off my Trigger Stix with one 3 shot group into 2 1/2" at 50 yards with 2 of the 3 in the same hole.

I haven't gotten anything I've cast or bought to shoot that well. But I still want to try, and Brenneke's have a good reputation in rifled barrels so maybe I'll get lucky. I'll call anything under 3" at 50 yards a resounding success... I've done that Offhand with the Federal Slugs.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464664.jpg   100464735.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-14-2022 at 01:10 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The wads on those Turkish slugs look the same or at least a lot like the wads on Thug slugs. They look like a good slug so I bet they work well for you. At 0.732" they should swage to fit any normal size bore. There are some slugs on the SIARM site that use a wad much if not the same.

Yes, I have had terrific results with Federal factory loaded slugs as well. These preceded the Tru-Ball slug and were not low recoil... in fact there were high recoil and with a large orange muzzle flash! They were the most accurate factory slugs I have shot and more accurate than anything I have loaded except AQ slugs. That's from smoothbore not rifled gun.

If you want to get Brenneke slugs SIARM sells them as components. I like the Brenneke Classic the best and tried to find out if SIARM would ship to me in Canada but got no response. I should pursue that and try again.

http://www.siarm.com/product_info.ph...products_id=93
    http://www.siarm.com/product_info.ph...oducts_id=1504
    http://www.siarm.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=487

Longbow

LB: are you sure that they are not loaded ammo?. Because the descriptions are the same as in the Brenneke Catalog. I realize that they are a Reloading Supply outfit in Europe but but the group sizes and other data they list are exactly the same as the Brenneke Catalog which only shows loaded Ammo.

Randy

My rebuilt shoulder is so thankful that I'm not limited to shotgun only deer hunting in my state!
    But reading of others experimenting with them is fascinating. My total game taken with 12 gauge slugs is one 6 foot alligator. I used it to dispatch the first gator I ever caught when Texas opened season thirty years ago.
    That's actually the only time I've seen an alligator DRT.......
    They have more lives than a cat it seems.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Well, I guess I have to say that I am not 100% positive but my understanding is that all the slugs listed are component slugs. I don't see any loaded ammunition available at SIARM.

Looking at SIARM prices I don't think you would get 10 loaded rounds for $7.35. At Cheater than Dirt the cost is $10.00 for 5 loaded rounds of Brenneke Classic slugs.

Brenneke used to sell component slugs. I bought a box of 25 12 ga. slugs about 40 years ago and loaded and shot them. Unfortunately I did not keep records and don't recall how they shot. I have only heard good things about Brenneke slugs though.

Longbow

So I found two boxes of Brenneke KO 1 oz. slugs today The slugs in these are virtually identical to the Turkish ones I just got from BPI yesterday. They are even loaded in normal RIO Hulls as you can see in the picture. The big difference here is that these are loaded to 1650 FPS! This pushes them up into the Serious Butt Kicker Category! I probably won't be shooting any of these unless I go Hunting Polar Bears or Brown Bears, which is unlikely at best.

But I can load the Turkish Clones into Rio Hulls which I just happen to have 200 of with 23 gr of Unique which will produce about 1200-1250 fps and be much more tolerable to shoot. These will be tried in 4 different barrels.

These include a 18" Vang Comped Smoothbore, a 18" Fully Rifled barrel, a 18" Smoothbore barrel with an IC Choke Tube and that same barrel with a Rifled Choke Tube. Both my Short M500's will be used.

I also have several Slug loads I want to try thru some of these different barrels. A Lyman Slug Load and a Lee 1 oz. Slug Load, in the Fully Rifled and Rifled Choke Tube Barrels.

Getting the Lyman and Lee Slugs to produce something usable from these barrels has been a goal of mine for some time. Being Semi Retired, I now have more time to devote to my hobbies.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2259.jpg   IMG_2247.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

I hope they work out for you. The Brenneke classic slug is an all time favorite of mine. The Brenneke KO is probably the worst slug I have ever shot.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    The Brenneke classic slug is an all time favorite of mine. The Brenneke KO is probably the worst slug I have ever shot.
    Do you mean that from a Recoil Perspective? because I already know these will kick like a mule in a 7Lb Gun. I thought these would be the Classic Style Slug with the wad screwed on the back, but they turned out to be nearly identical to the Turkish made slugs with a different color Plastic Wad .

I know they will be toned down a bunch from 1650 fps. Like about -400 fps.

Randy

Boolit Grand Master

No, the KO's really aren't that horrendous compared to some. 1 oz at 1650 fps is like most rifled slugs. Same as Federal Tru-ball.

The wad and slug design of the KO are bad. 75% of the time the wad falls off, probably more than that. They hardly stay on a 4'x4' target stand at 50 yards, they are that bad. There is hardly any grip of the post inside that slug. How they ever expected that to work, I don't know. Compare that to their other versions like the heavy field short magnum, where the wad pushes into the slug during firing, and really wedges the wad in there.

I think what happens with all the Wads that fit in the back of the slug is that the Slug expands upon firing like a hollow based boolit and that loosens the grip on the wad. Hence separation.

We'll see how these work with lower power loadings. Like I said I am more of a 1200 fps guy and see no reason to go faster for the things I do with slugs, unless I was hunting for especially big game.

I would be more likely to shoot a Pick Up Truck than a Polar Bear. I still have both boxes of Federal Maximum Slugs that were running 1610 fps and I bought them 20+ years ago and firing two of them at a 3 gun shoot convinced me to look into loading Round Balls in my Trap loads. All my other Slug work has been in that speed zone.

I still have 28 of those Federal Slugs and now I have 10 more Butt Kicker rounds in case a war starts. 38 total! I might shoot one or two to see how my Vang Comped Barrels tame the recoil down. I have some Brenneke Tactical 1 oz. Slugs running at 1360 fps and they are more than I like to shoot, but I lived thru them.

Randy

These slugs are the design from a friend of mine from Turkey that I met on my Buck and Slug Reloader group of Facebook. His name is Adbülbedi Farisli.

He reached out to me over a year ago on how we can get his slugs (he also has a sabot) available on the US market. I put him in touch with Grant Fackler, the president and CEO of Ballistic Products to help get them over here. Took a little while, but we got them.

If they work out, you’re welcomed.

If not, blame Grant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leon: good to hear about the source of these and also good to hear that you were in on it. These slugs are like anything else we play with,,, Some will get outstanding results, some will get duds. You know how it goes.
    My main reason for buying them was to see if I could duplicate Low End Brenneke Performance. Brenneke Slugs are not easy to Duplicate as they are Swaged, so the fact that someone took the time to make the dies shows some initiative. The only other one I've heard of that got close was Capt. Morgan.

Since all the Brenneke's I've seen were loaded in Rio Hulls just like the ones I got from BPI, I figure it's all about the Powder Charge and Roll Crimp and since I can Roll Crimp as well or better than what Brenneke is doing, I figure I've got a decent chance to get good results. These slugs are .732 on the OD so they should pick up Rifling well.

These slugs cost me .95 each, and the new hulls were about .10 each so the cost of powder will make these about a $1.05 to load. I also just bought 2 boxes of Brenneke KO Slugs for $9.00 a box with Tax so that is $2.00+ each.

Being able to get away from 1650 fps and down in to the Regime I operate in, (1200-1300 fps) should deliver some decent accuracy from my 18" Rifled Mossberg Barrel, and we will see pretty soon.

I think they could be useful as Hunting Rounds and certainly Defensive Rounds. Nobody is going to live thru one of these in the Boiler Room!

The shop I got my Brenneke's from had a sales guy who is the Armorer for the Sea Bees and Coasty's at Port Hueneme. He was telling me that they were only Issued 3"Magnum 00 Buck to train with???!!! . So that is the reason why I saw a whole group of them not having any idea how to run their shotguns. Everyone is shooting Low Recoil Buck and Slugs now, and if you really need to knock out a pick up truck you could do a Shell Select with a 3" shell for one round. When I saw small women getting the snot beat out of them I was really taken aback that their instructors were so Incompetent as to push that. Nobody was learning anything but how much they "didn't" want to be there that day.

I doubt you guys (Marines?)were taught how to run a Combat Shotgun with High based loads? Were you?

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2248.jpg   IMG_2259.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-20-2022 at 12:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast