Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Need a rifled choke for Moss 500

Boolit Master

Need a rifled choke for Moss 500

I want a rifled choke tube for my Mossberg 500 but need to know which one to buy. I think I will take the recommendation in my post for a slug and try RB. Just need an idea of what choke to buy.

Boolit Master

Carlson's rifled choke tube is what I bought, supposed to be the real deal.
    I never used it because I ended up finding a Browning A-Bolt rifled shotgun priced less than half MSRP. (discontinued model closeout)

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

I second the Carlson's tube. I have one.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2202.jpg  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

+1 for the Carlson's tube! It worked really well on my 870. Didn't need one for the Mossy, it came with a rifled barrel.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Mold
    Carlson’s rifled tube works very well in my Benelli.
    Bob

Didn't know they made rifled tubes.... Wish I would have known before I bought a rifled barrel for the Mossberg 500.

How do they compare to a rifled barrel?
    It would be much simpler just putting in a tube instead of changing the barrel.

Boolit Master

A rifled choke tube isn't quite as accurate as a fully rifled barrel, generally, so if ultimate accuracy is important, get the rifled barrel. However, the rifled tube will easily give "minute of deer" groups to hunt with! I used one in my 870 and it gave me 2-1/2" groups at 50 yards. Firing that same load in my M500's rifled barrel produced one jagged hole at 50 yards. Either would serve admirably in the deer woods. There was a discussion regarding the Carlson's rifled tube a couple months ago. Randy Buchanan contacted Carlson's and they confirmed to him that their tube is both rifled and tapered (constricted). They wouldn't say how they managed to do that! But, there's ample proof that their tube works, and works well!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Vendor Sponsor

My 500A will cloverleaf a playing card @ 100yds with wallyworld $2/box slugs through the rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount and a red dot. Not sure a tube would equal the group from the rifled barrel.

Also, my slug barrel is only rifled the last 8 or 10 inches of the barrel.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    My 500A will cloverleaf a playing card @ 100yds with wallyworld $2/box slugs through the rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mount and a red dot. Not sure a tube would equal the group from the rifled barrel.

Also, my slug barrel is only rifled the last 8 or 10 inches of the barrel.
    I haven't seen $2 a box slugs in my lifetime. Do you mean $2 per shot? That only describes every rifled slug.

About that barrel? can you take a picture of the inside and the Roll Mark on the outside so we can see what Mossberg barrel it is.

The two boxes of Butt Kicker Slugs I got at Wally World about 20 years ago were $5 for 15 rounds.. I bought two boxes,, Still have 28 rounds left

Randy..
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com